Weekly Contest Results March 25th

• Meena Krish
    5 years ago, updated 5 years ago

Good Morning everyone, this week’s winners we have Yakori’s,” In her she lives”
    a colorful picture of words to celebrate World Poetry Day and about its writers;
    we then have stormdancing(Jessica’s) “Yellow”, a short yet lovely picture about
    Daffodils which has been written using two poetry forms and Ben’s “A Skeletal
    Harvest”-a heart wrenching write which tugs at every heart. Congrats to these
    front page winners and congrats to all those who received a HM! Wonderful
    writes this week! Thank you judges for your valuable time to make this weekly
    contest a success.

//WINNERS//:

In her, she lives by Yakori bint Muhammed 10+4+10=24

Yellow by stormingdance (Jessica) 10+7+7=24

A Skeletal Harvest by Ben Pickard 10+10=20

//COMMENTS//:

In her, she lives by Yakori bint Muhammed (10 points)

What a lovely way to celebrate World Poetry Day! These beautiful words
    convey how each and everyone one of us feel, how these words move our
    souls and transport us to different worlds. Poetry makes us smile and laugh.
    It can bring us to our knees with these powerful words put onto paper. We pour
    out our hearts and this poem celebrates each and everyone of us.
    Thank you for this!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    In Her, She Lives by Yakori bint Muhammed (4 points)

I had no idea that the 21st of March is the World Poetry Day, and this is an
    amazing poem to be written in that day. And is many I’m sure this spoke
    to many poets not only I. Well done with this!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    In Her, She Lives by Yakori bint Muhammed (10 points)

This poem is a serenade under the window or poetry as a general beloved. The
    poet disposes every fine thing that could be said about poetry. Like from the first
    sentence you know what is going to happen and where the poem is going, but yet
    the clever use of imagery and poetical technique, being so fluent in words and
    malleable with elements, makes reading this piece delightful. Also allows the poet
    to render her views about life and its fine esthetical values. Poetry is all the sudden,
    a nature’s tool to reveal the wonder, to convey life between those wonders, twin in
    glory, the mouth that speaks the truth. Through the poetry the poet learns to love,
    to create, to travel with eyes, to the Neverland, to light. Poetry suddenly turns to
    the “form”, to the essence, revives and renews itself on the scroll of civilization.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yellow by stormingdance (Jessica) (10 points)

Though this is relatively short it is beautifully penned in both style and form, the
    voice is gentle and yet effective, the imagery is superb and each line not only holds
    purpose but if desired could stand alone beautifully. Phenomenal piece!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Yellow (Acrostic) by stormingdance (7 points)

Who doesn’t like Acrostics? And when they’re written beautifully they
    become special! The imagery is original, and the rhyming brings smooth
    rhythm to the poem. “And it was all yellow”
    I love this!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Yellow (Acrostic) by stormingdance (Jessica) (7 points)

Daffodils are one of my favourite flowers, resembling, in my eye, a horn. Jessica,
    though, suggests they are, yelling, laughing, even crying out to young and/or old.
    This rhyming acrostic really has it all and packs a punch.

It is not easy to use a strict form, add to this a rhyme scheme and make sure you
    keep the theme relevant throughout. All in all, this is a nugget of pure yellow gold.

----------------------------------------------------------------
    A Skeletal Harvest by Ben Pickard (10 points)

This poem reminded me of an article I once read at National Geographic. The
    remains of many children who where sacrificed in Peru 500 years ago. And I love
    it when poetry brings back what I read. The form of the poem is beautiful, and
    the way it started is brilliant. It is creative, and I truly want to know what inspired it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Skeletal Harvest by Ben Pickard (10 points)

Poetry is often open to interpretation. Ben shows this week his breadth with this
    terrific free form. He starts with the onomatopoeia sound of gun shots, exploding into
    superb imagery of the snapping of simultaneous swan necks. In my mind this was an
    upsetting bloody scene. Well done, Ben for this evoking this emotion.
    This poem does not fail to impress as it moves through a dire world past and present.
    It shocks, it upsets and it pulls at you, them, us to change before our dusty bones
    get blown away into forgotten mists of time.

//HM’S//:

Blinding Windows by Aegis 4

The life of me, a tree by CRAFTY KEN 4

No hatred by Satish Verma 7

Rise with love by Soulful Ensemble 4

Bon Voyage by Michael 4

Affecting Social Justice by I'dTakeABulletForYou 7+7=14

//COMMENTS//:

Affecting Social Justice by I'dTakeABulletForYou (7 points)

Stephen's poem this week is first most about acceptance. Acceptance of oneself
    and understanding each of us are born a certain way. He also stresses the importance
    of looking after others and fighting for the weaker and oppressed. We owe it to the
    people that have paved the way before us. The ones who sacrificed a lot for the privilege
    we now have. Stephen stresses to be loud and noisy in your pursuit of social injustices,
    not to just sit idle, we all owe it. Powerful words indeed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Affecting Social Justice by IdTakeABulletForYou (7 points)

“This wisdom is found in the forest?"scare the predators with your loud screeches”
    the writer finds what he calls a wisdom of forest is also effective and wise in the
    human jungles too:
    “It is important to understand social justice is not affected by silence. It is affected
    by the loud noise you make when you tell people the truth.” The logic is the predator
    does not stop unless you make noise. Though the noise you make in the second one, might
    not be out of the fear of death, but it could be out of frustration; frustration for injustice
    and unfair. It might be from invisible fears like illiteracy, ethical or cultural poverties.
    It even could be fear for others life of so many other human reasons that only share
    the ‘fear instinct’.

------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bon Voyage by Michael (4 points)

Michael's poem is a touching piece about loss. High over the sea cliffs a
    memorial service takes place. This woman, now a widow sheds her tears,
    says her good byes. Comforted by family and friends she gathers her
    strength and walks away to start a new chapter. It is so hard when you lose
    a loved one. Michael has put this grief into a such eloquent form, beautiful
    descriptive words of love and loss.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

No hatred by Satish Verma (7 points)

This poem has so much beautiful imagery to help the story telling along
    that I was captivated. In reading this many times over I can truly feel the amount
    of thought that went into this piece and how the author was actually feeling while
    writing it. There is no hatred even though the sense of reflection is clear and well
    penned. This piece is excellently balanced and overall a stunning read.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Rise with love by Soulful Ensemble (4 points)

The emotion of this piece flows effortlessly from each and every one of
    line, it is a sweet honest write that remains.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

The life of me, a tree by CRAFTY KEN (4 points)

Ken has written this poem with a tenderness that wooed me. I wanted
    to climb amongst its mighty branches. I wanted to feel its history, for I am
    sure that I would hear its heartbeat and gentle breaths. Here I would sleep
    and be happy away from human destruction, safe in the knowledge the dawn
    chorus would be a beautiful new day.
    --------------------------------------------------------

Blinding Windows by Aegis (4 points)

What I love about Aegis works is their innovation. He goes on creating his own
    world without needing to parrot other’s styles. I also love their originality, and
    the fact that they all have some wonderful punch lines that lands on you through
    a comparison of some kind. Something that like some after taste linger for a while
    with you. Here in this poem he doesn’t say too much; A set of “caesious eyes having
    more adventure than the soul could ever learn to occupy.”
    A hallow comparison! How do those eyes have so much adventure in opposed to
    a soul? So if that awkward question is not enough, he finishes it with a hard punch
    line question: “When did you trade happy days for haphazard smiles?” The oddity
    of the question stretches something in your awareness and takes you to some kinds
    of border-less world, where you have to learn different relations with the element.
    The first part of the poem did not work for me, but the second was wow.

• Obscure
    5 years ago

Congrats to all the winners and hms! I loved the poems this week :)

• Brenda
    5 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! So many beautiful pieces here. Thank you Meena for hosting and always our judges.

• Adreamer
    5 years ago

I love how diverse this week turned out to be! Congratulations everyone! Happy Monday :)

• IdTakeABulletForYou

I really do appreciate the judge's comments on Affecting Social Justice - it's been a while since I tried for some motivational pieces and hopefully it's the first of many. Your comments touched me!

Congrats to the winners and fellow HMs!

Also, shout out to whomever nominated my poem!

• Michael
    5 years ago

Thank you Meena for hosting :)

Congratulations to all the poets on the front page, and all the HMs awarded. Thank you to the judge for my Hm and comments, much appreciated and all the judges that take their time each week to bring this competition here :)

Much love, M :)

• Larry Chamberlin
    5 years ago

Congratulations to the winning poets and the honorably mentioned.
    Thanks judges for Timely voting and commenting.
    Thanks Meena for hosting.

• D.
    5 years ago

Congratulations winners! Such a nice range of poetry on the front page this week. :)

• Yakori bint Muhammed

Thank you to the judges and everyone that made this possible. I appreciate the love and constructive feedback. Humbling and inspiring it is. Congrats to fellow winners and HMs. This is coming at a time I've not written a poem in months.
    Sending y'all sparkles of love, light and peace wearing a smile.
    Be merry!

• Ya----Na
    5 years ago

Thank you Judges and Moderators for your love and support. Congrats each and every one.
    Much love

S....

• Poet on the Piano
    5 years ago

Congrats to all! Thank you to our judges and to Meena, for hosting :)

• Ben Pickard
    5 years ago

There really is an eclectic mix of poetry this week and I have to say, it's lovely to see such an imaginative and neat acrostic on the front page, so well done Jessica.
    Thanks once again to the judges who saw something in my poetry and for their time commenting.
    Well done, all.

• naaz
    5 years ago

Love you all!

Thank you judges, moderators.

Congratulations!