Gluttony

• Everlasting
    4 years ago, updated 4 years ago

A while back, (a very long time ago, 6 years ago or so?) I wrote the following:

gluttony
    makes the stomach grow;
    a baby

Then if I reverse it

a baby
    makes the stomach grow;
    gluttony

Well, lately this piece has been in my thoughts. I also remember that a while ago, someone (I don’t remember exactly who) but this someone mentioned that it wasn’t gluttony but the munchies that makes a pregnant woman have cravings and basically that gluttony alone would not cause the baby. So the senyru didn’t work per se. Anyways,

I think a baby can cause some sort of gluttony. So this thread is for those who believe or for those who just want to engage in a conversation about sins specially gluttony, would you consider a pregnant woman falling victim to this sin? What exactly is gluttony for you? Have you ever felt like you been gluttonous (I’m not sure if I’m saying this correctly)? Does gluttony only apply to food?

• Darren replied to Everlasting
    4 years ago

When I first joined the site I wrote a wraft of poems about the seven deadly sins.

I remember that with gluttony I focused not just on food, but any over indulgence.

For example one of my pieces was 'gluttonous with words' a whole poem dedicated to over indulgence with word choice.

As for pregnancy?

Maybe if this person is on her 11th (surviving) child then yes it is gluttonous.

• Everlasting replied to Darren
    4 years ago

Do you still have the poems? I searched for them in your account but I couldn’t find them. Care to share a link? Specially the one about the gluttonous with words?

“ I remember that with gluttony I focused not just on food, but any over indulgence.” By Darren

^ so basically, those who hoard items can be seen as gluttons?

• Larry Chamberlin
    4 years ago

My wife had the most wonderful pregnancy, enjoying food for the most in her life. We got special Subway sandwiches, ice cream (Bluebell Pralines & Cream) and other treats. After all that she had only gained less than 10 pounds after Jessica was born.

• Poet on the Piano replied to Everlasting

Luce, that piece seems familiar and I must remember it from back then if you had posted.
    Darren, I remember your "seven sins" poems, they were iconic!

A very interesting discussion. I can't speak from the side of pregnancy, only to say I would never think they would "fall victim", as pregnancy can have affect people differently due to hormones and during this stage, the mom is listening to her body or trying to satisfy cravings. Hmm... there's so much to think about here though. I don't personally believe in sin per say, anymore, because it can often become synonymous to shame in the eyes of the person dealing with it. I certainly don't think gluttony is limited to food. I do think control plays a part and it's not always us consciously making that decision or realizing how we are damaging our physical or mental health. It may start with a choice, but then we use the food as a way to cope (or use time away or this or that to deal with easier things). Like distracting our mind? Filling ourselves up with something we know we should be moderate about, but it can become a way to deal with stress as opposed to dealing with whatever we are running away from.

Words that come to mind with gluttony aren't always greed, but more over-consumption. Perhaps we trick our minds or bodies into thinking it's okay, or that we need it, because what else will take its place?

If that makes sense?

• Everlasting replied to Larry Chamberlin

^yummy! Did she exercise throughout the pregnancy? And please, don’t mind me, but after reading “we got” (edit) I have to ask,.. how much did you end up gaining?

With Allison’s pregnancy, I gained 40 pounds but it was mainly tummy: Baby, placenta, amniotic fluid etc. After the pregnancy, I realized I ended up gaining the much desired 10 pounds I had struggled to gained before the pregnancy. Will see how much I gain this time.

• Everlasting replied to Poet on the Piano
    4 years ago

“as pregnancy can have affect people differently due to hormones and during this stage, the mom is listening to her body or trying to satisfy cravings.” By Mary Anne

^ true. I just hope not all moms give in to all the cravings. There are some weird ones. For instance, I was craving alcohol. I have no idea why.

“I don't personally believe in sin per say, anymore, because it can often become synonymous to shame in the eyes of the person dealing with it.” By Mary Anne

^ I used to think of “sins” as the tickets that took us to Hell after life. Now a days, I’m not sure whether Heaven or Hell exist beyond our reality. However, I do think we can create our own Heaven and Hell here on Earth per se. These “sins” can create a living Hell for a soul. I just see them as warnings or tips of what we shouldn’t do to stay at peace.

But then I was challenged with this:

There was a woman who weighted about 700 lbs and wanted to reach 1000 lbs. She seemed satisfied and happy. I just wondered if she was at peace or not?

• Larry Chamberlin replied to Everlasting
    4 years ago

I gained about 15 pounds to her 10 pounds. She also worked it off much quicker than I did. As for exercise, we walked for miles every day. Even the day she gave birth we had taken the kids to the zoo and natural museum and must have covered at least five miles.

• silvershoes
    4 years ago

"There was a woman who weighted about 700 lbs and wanted to reach 1000 lbs. She seemed satisfied and happy. I just wondered if she was at peace or not?"

Assuming she knew the severe health risks for becoming morbidly obese, I can't imagine that she was happy enough to want to keep living? Maybe she was at peace with the idea of killing herself though. I can't approach this from the standpoint of sin because I don't believe in sin.

• Darren
    4 years ago

Luce

I'll see if I can dig it out and post it. It was deleted when I closed my original account.

They weren't great anyway TBH, I would imagine most people on here would look at their early stuff and cringe a little.

MA thanks though, I remember you were one of the first to comment on them as well as Randy East and Luce as well.
    (during the comments for comments fiasco, I think I offered to comment on ALL of your poems......)