Weekly Contest Results September 16th

• Meena Krish
    4 years ago

Good Morning Everyone,
    This week winners’ poems are heart wrenching, emotional and they also
    teach us a lesson or two about relationships and reality of life! Congratulation
    to our front page winners: Nourayasmine, Tanya Southey and Ben Pickard
    and those who received a HM: alka mendiratta and Satish Verma. Last but not
    least I want to thank our three judges who have devoted their time and effort to
    make this contest possible...thank you judges!

//WINNERS//:

Not Heard by Nourayasmine (30 points)

Memories by Tanya Southey (18 points)

Frost and Fruitlessness by Ben Pickard (7 points)

//COMMENTS//:

Not Heard by Nourayasmine (10 points)

Noura's poem this week brings the horrors of war home. While we sit in our
    comfy safe homes so many of will never know the terror of living in the midst
    of a country at war. Many of us will never experience the fear and dread of a one
    of our children or family members being at the wrong place at the wrong time.
    Noura has lived this terror for far too long, she's lost loved ones, lost too much
    of her childhood. Too many little ones have lost their childhoods. When are we
    going to wake up and realize that all this fighting and bickering over whatever is
    causing irreparable damage? For Noura to be able to express these horrors so
    eloquently shows how incredibly strong she is, I just wish she didn't have a front
    row seat to this. Hugs to you sweet girl...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Not Heard by nourayasmine (10 points)

At the risk of being controversial, there really was no other choice for my 10 points
    this week. There were other great poems (perhaps even written more 'poetically')
    but nothing came close to moving me like this. "The bomb wasn't as heavy as we
    feared, but nor was its victim" and "the tiny lines behind his neck where the skin
    smells of holiness" are as good as words get, but I am not going to get into the realms
    of insult with technicalities that poetry like this is so far above. This is why art matters.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Not Heard” by: nourayasmine (10points)

Noura describes the horrors of war so effortlessly and I wish that was a compliment
    I didn’t have to pay. Nobody should have to witness it, but writers like Noura
    remind us of the atrocities and pain that exist in her war torn country - the
    unanswered prayers. The reason it has 10 points is not just because it speaks
    firsthand of the aforementioned but because her command of language is a gift.
    Sometimes we need more than just people to hear.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Memories by Tanya Southey (4 points)

Tanya's poem this week is a wake up call to all of us to stop destroying this
    world. Everything we know now will be gone due to our lack of doing nothing.
    It's sad to realize that so many things are just now memories. Tanya's words are
    a call to action, take heed or this world will just be a memory.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Memories by Tanya Southey (7 points)

I've often wondered why it is that, individually at least, we seem to understand
    humanity's ignorance and yet - collectively - we are unable to combat the wrongs
    we so frequently commit. This poem brought that to mind and what with global
    warming and all the other nonsense going on in the world at the moment, this
    piece is entirely relevant and also somewhat disturbing. Great writing, Tanya.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Memories by: Tanya Southey (7 points)

It’s not completely unique to Tanya, but the simple repetition in her poems give
    a sense of familiarity when reading her work. It re-raises a lot of points of how, when
    we look back upon our lives, there may be regret we didn’t make more of an effort
    to prevent the extinction of animals and maintain the green and blue of the earth.
    Well written and sensitive as ever.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Frost and Fruitlessness by Ben Pickard (7 points)

Ben manages to put such imagery to twisted relationships. He's dreading
    the upcoming winter months, being in a closed up house with his mate who
    won't shut up! When the weather is warm and sunny they entwine as easily
    as any vine or weed for that matter. No matter how hard he tries to step lightly
    it seems like it's going to be a long cold winter. I love the way Ben wends his way
    through relationships, his descriptive word usage takes a dysfunctional
    relationship to a whole new level.

//HM’s//:

Life State by alka mendiratta (4 points)

A Hanging Tale” by: Satish Verma (4 points)

//COMMENTS//:

Life State by alka mendiratta (4 points)

Lovely. Cheery, image-filled and nicely formatted. I could almost imagine tulips
    and roses with 'shimmering dew' glistening on them growing between the spaces
    left between the lines!
    ---------------------------------------------------

A Hanging Tale” by: Satish Verma (4 points)

Satish, again has crafted a wonderfully descriptive poem, full of intrigue and
    nuance. His writing is always a pleasure in its unpredictability. Sometimes the
    wording makes it difficult to latch on to the metaphors he employs, but they
    always beg to be reread,

• Star
    4 years ago

Congratulations everyone ^_^

• Ben Pickard
    4 years ago

A very well done to Tanya and Noura and also, congratulations to alka and Satish.
    Thank you to the judges for their time.

• Brenda
    4 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! Love, love, love all the poems! Thank you Meena for hosting and our judges for judging...

• Poet on the Piano
    4 years ago

Congrats to all! Many thanks to our judges and to Meena, for hosting :)

• Kitty Cat Lady
    4 years ago

Well done all! Great poems. Thanks to judges and mods as always =^.^=

• Michael
    4 years ago

Hi All :)

Thank you Meena for hosting.

Thank you to the judges for their time.

Congratulations to the front page poets and HMs awarded

Much love, M