Weekly Contest Results, 23 September 2019

• Larry Chamberlin
    4 years ago

In darkness, a single match can be seen for miles. Mahler lights a match of paternal love even while sending a dark message of man’s greed; Jessica’s match sends a rainbow out, bleeding into the darkness and perhaps which may be used to pull herself to the greater light; Kitty Cat Lady softens the darkness of lost love with the memories of gladness that prevailed in the past, perhaps giving her the strength to love again.

Thanks to the Four judges who decided the contest this week, with every winning poem getting at least one vote. There is still an opening for a fifth.

Front Page Winners:
    When Wolves Cry Man by Maher 10+10+7+4 = 31 points
    a darkness by stormingdance (Jessica) 10+7 = 17 points
    Paperweight by Kitty Cat Lady 7+4 = 11 points

Honorably Mentioned:
    Roll up, roll up...by Michael 10 points
    12 by Maple Tree 7 points
    Poltergeist (etheree) by Brookie 4 points
    Silently Suffering by Walter 4 points

When Wolves Cry Man by Maher 10 points
    Maher gets my full points this week for his ability not just to put me in the mind of another person – but in another species. This insightful and humbling piece left me feeling almost ashamed to be human – to spare a thought for how the animals we share our planet with must look at us and see unbridled greed and such pointless and unnecessary waste. We could learn a lot from animals that only ever take what they need. The title also bent my mind a little – to cry ‘wolf’ is to constantly ask for help when it’s not needed, leading to harm when there is actually a wolf but no one believes you. To cry ‘man’ then, is to be prideful and greedy and constantly bemoaning life’s injustices – when the reality is that we’re (collectively) using our power as humans to destroy our planet. I just love a poem that forces me to think so far beyond myself. Excellently done.

~~~~~~~
    When Wolves Cry Man by Maher 7 points
    There is so much to learn from poetry like this and - as with Tanya's winning piece last week - it is the sort of lesson that is never more relevant than it is now. We take, we plunder, we kill unnecessarily and we do it all consciously and with seeming indifference.
    As I read this, I couldn't help but think of Rudyard Kipling's jungle law and his marvellous poem "If".
    I just wish the world would sit up and actually bloody well listen. If only...

~~~~~~~
    When Wolves Cry Man by Maher 10 points
    Maher's poem this week was a powerful smack in the face to all of the human race. So many of us spend excessly, over eat, over indulge in many aspects of our lives. Pride, lust, greed controls so many and it will be our downfall. We need to take our cue from the animal kingdom just as Maher has so eloquently put. Live simply, take only what you need, be a decent person. Makes me wonder why we call them animals?

~~~~~~~

When Wolves Cry Man by: Maher 4 points
    One of the more unique poems this week, Maher has created a poem, that suffers with some forced rhyme here and there but gives life lessons in an unpretentious way. There is wisdom here, and I enjoyed the form and style very much.

a darkness by stormingdance (Jessica) 10 points
    This poet usually treats us with various compound forms and displays bundles of imagination in the process. However, it was a delight to read this free verse and free-falling piece of poetry from her where you quite literally feel your world and hope dropping from beneath you as you bundle down the page.
    I thoroughly enjoy the way the poem is book-ended by the idea of this black hole "bleeding rainbows" - almost as if the middle of the piece is the hole itself where all the writer's hope and optimism is sucked. Imaginative stuff.

~~~~~~~
    a darkness by Stormingdance (Jessica) 7 points
    Jessica's poem this week made me sad. I felt her loss of wonder and zest for life draining from her. Where and what happens to us that causes are kaleidoscope of wonder ( love that by the way) to drain away. Life has A way of wearing us down, things happen, loss occurs. Somehow our rainbows get murky. Jessica, always hold on to a piece of that wonder, a chunk of your rainbow. Never stop believing that things can be better. Nurture that inner child in you for they will always provide a ray of sunshine and a splash of rainbow.

“Paperweight” by: Kitty Cat Lady (7)
    This poem contains some saddening imagery but there is self awareness, too. It does not beat you over the head, but leaves an empty feeling after the final word. A boat in a storm without a port to sail to describes very much the feeling of love without someone to be an anchor, whilst it could also be a show of strength. The boat no longer needs a port, the mind no longer needs a paperweight.

~~~~~~~
    Paperweight by Kitty Cat Lady 4 points
    Miss Kitty tells of a love that is now lost and using a paperweight as her metaphorical keeper of her thoughts was quite interesting. This person who is no longer in her life helped keep her grounded, was perhaps a sounding board for those days when life seemed against her, her port in the storm. She's alone now and her life feels a bit like the confetti in said paperweight, swirling about, no even ground on which to navigate. Stay strong dear woman, you are stronger than you know. These storms will calm and you will find peace in yourself.

Roll up, roll up...by Michael 10 points
    Michael’s poem this week is a carousel of imagery and nostalgia with childlike romantic vibes. As always, he captures the reader with excellence attention to deal and fairground metaphor.

12 by Maple Tree 7 points
    Ah, nostalgia! Andrea has packed so much into this poem that just made me go “Ah”. I so got it. She’s described that feeling so brilliantly - when life wrings you out but you can still touch that memory, feel that sun shining on you, feel the ground beneath your feet, remember what you wore and who you crushed for. Some memories can break you, but some provide a safe haven in a cranny of the mind that allows us to take a breather from the harsh reality of the present. Top stuff!

Poltergeist (etheree) by Brookie 4 points
    As was commented on the poem page, it is very easy to lose your way when writing any form that demands a specific syllable count but Brookie manages to do the precise opposite with resigned and ultimately rather sad aplomb. She even sprinkles a nice little piece of alliteration there in line 9 - "halt the hauntings". Accomplished writing.

Silently Suffering by Walter 4 points
    This poem very clearly depicts the struggle of a lonely woman using excellent meter and rhyming. While it delivers to make us feel for this shy lady and wonder what led her to this sad and solitary life, it also made me wonder how many people would consider her life to be great – after all, she has a job, a roof over her head, food and a cat! While the pain of loneliness and poverty is not to be invalidated, for some, this existence would be exactly what they crave. I suppose it all depends on what direction you’ve come from and whether you consider solitude a lonely experience, or a peaceful one? Thanks to Walter for making my cogs turn while I considered this.

• Brenda
    4 years ago

Congratulations all you wonderful writers! Lovely to see such a diverse group gracing the pages. Larry, thank you for hosting and all you judges for making the tough choices.

• Kitty Cat Lady
    4 years ago

Congrats to all winners, HMs and nominees. Thanks so much to Scott for my nomination and to the lovely judges for their comments, points and their time. Thanks also to the mods. :-) x
    =^.^=

• Ben Pickard
    4 years ago

Some great poetry highlighted this week. Well done, all, and thank you judges for your time.

• Poet on the Piano
    4 years ago

Wonderful work, everyone! Many thanks to Larry, for hosting, and to our judges of course.

• Maher
    4 years ago

Thanks all for reading our work and nominating them and, of course, to the judges for their time spent in rating them and giving detailed feedback.

Congrats to all who were nominated! It's an honour :)

• Meena Krish replied to Maher
    4 years ago

Congrats to all the winners and HMs
    Thank you judges for your time as always and thank you for hosting Larry!

• Michael
    4 years ago

Hi all :)

Congratulations to all front page poets

Thak you judges for your precious and worthy time.
    To the judge who voted and commented on my poem, thank you.
    Thanks to Scott for nominating

Much love, M :)