World Mental Health Day 2019

• Poet on the Piano
    4 years ago

I think it's safe to say that mental health should be prioritized and focused on more often, especially those who may still be high functioning but struggle daily and many fail to ever notice. Mental illness does not discriminate and too often I think people are critical of those who may appear to have great support and resources, yet are deeply affected by mental health issues.

So, what important steps do you need to take to better your mental health and understand it better?

And to relate this to poetry, how has writing helped or changed your mental health?

• nouriguess replied to Poet on the Piano
    4 years ago

I have PTSD. I have accepted that, and I'm seeing a therapist. Well, at first, I felt completely devastated, especially when I started having panic attacks, without telling anyone about it. But now, I'm just determined to not let it stop me.
    Luckily, I found out that I have a very supportive group of friends. My boyfriend took it seriously, and learnt everything about PTSD, and he started dedicating much more time to just sit down and listen to me. My sister is brilliant as well. So is my puppy. I'm 100% positive these guys are the main reason why I'm making such a progress.

• Poet on the Piano replied to nouriguess
    4 years ago

Having that support is everything, so glad you have that, especially those who genuinely will take whatever time to help listen or be what you need. Proud of you, Noura, and thanks for sharing your strength. I love your determination <3

I will share that every since I started writing my real emotions out, and truly letting it be raw, I feel more in tune with myself and my mind. No longer afraid of it. The first time I stepped out of my comfort zone and wrote something honest but incredibly personal was my sophomore college creative writing class. We did a lot of freewriting as well as reading our poetry to the group. It was an intimate group and we became at ease with each other through opening up in our poetry. My poem was a metaphor about suicidal ideation I was silently struggling with, and knowing I could first acknowledge this as a problem was a huge step. Even if just on paper and through a metaphor. Now, I can let out my anger and frustration and untamed emotions without feeling I have to filter or have everything figured out in my brain. Admitting things are not okay can be terrifying but cathartic, and poetry has become not only a safe outlet but an introspective one to help me sort out what's going on in all the chaos.

• nouriguess replied to Poet on the Piano
    4 years ago

I feel this way too about poetry, Marryanne.

If it weren't for this community, my life would've sucked.

• Maple Tree
    4 years ago

I have severe depression, anxiety and PTSD.

It gets mixed into my poetry in almost every single poem I write. Mental health is as important as physical health. I also have dedicated my career to working with Mentally disabled. I dont let my mental illness define me I control it, try to... with medication, diet, exercise , therapy...By doing all of these things along with writing I have managed to only be on one pill for my mental illness.

Back in the day- Folks who were diagnosed with mental illness kept it a secret, because there was such a sigma... so when I was first diagnosed I found out a ton of my family members suffered in silence, including my Grandfather who committed suicide in 1998... that crushed me.

Speak out... educate and gather as much support as you can. All my fears and depressive thoughts are poured into my writing instead of locked in my brain and that is my main healing tool and coping skill.

Love this thread MA, hugs to you and Nora <3

• Hazel (Dancing Rivers) Phillips-Dube
    4 years ago

I'm glad I'm not alone. I was diagnosed with depression many years back and now it seems yo have progressed to bipolar disorder. I'm going this week to see a doctor as it affecting every part of my life I'm utterly disconnected and I'm even scared to write for fear of what may come out

• Poet on the Piano replied to Hazel (Dancing Rivers) Phillips-Dube
    4 years ago

Lots of love, Andrea.

And so proud of you, Hazel. I send all my support. Perhaps writing the demons or darkness or fears out or giving them a voice through poetry will help ease their grip on you.

• Hazel (Dancing Rivers) Phillips-Dube replied to Poet on the Piano
    4 years ago

Thank you Mary Anne