Weekly Contest Results October 14

• PnQ Mod Account
    4 years ago, updated 4 years ago

Hello community. Rania here. I hope this thread finds you all well. This week was so tough for the judges. The diversity in themes and styles was very special. Anyway I will keep it short and leave you with the comments left by 4 current judges. Don't forget to join the panel if you think you've got some TIME to spare for the contest.

Thank you all! Congrats to Mark, MA and Michael!

_--------------------------------COMMENTS------------------------------- _

October by Hiraeth (17)

Shimmering, ethereal and delicate are just a few adjectives I could use to describe Mark's use of language. He has a talent that few on this site have and a real ability to 'paint' art with his words. I'm not always sure about his meticulous use of punctuation but complete lack of capitals, but each to their own - it doesn't detract from the quality. Lovely work.
    (Reading back, the 'its' in line one doesn't need any kind of possessive apostrophe) (10)

--------------------

Mark has no mercy. He is a killer in poetry. The poem had this hue around it from title to the last word. The power in the lines and emotions is beyond me. His command over words is so powerful it makes you want to cry even if he wrote about joy. I am speechless. Masterpiece. (7)

Gossip by Michael (15)

No doubt we've all been guilty of gossiping at some time or another and will also have been the subject of it too. But Michael's poem paints a vivid picture of the 'women's club', twin-set and pearls and a blue rinse, tutting and rolling their eyes. His words are clever in their execution of this situation and I applaud this imaginative poem.(7)

-----------

Michael sets the scene of this poem at a ladies luncheon. They are gathered together and if course their main target of talk has not arrived yet. Setting upon this poor woman with teeth bared and ugly in their hearts the story goes around and probably being more embellished by the minute. I really loved the anology of ants marching over shoulders bearing rotting leaves. That pretty much sums up gossip, rot flowing from ones mouth to another's ear, people relishing in another's misfortune. Then getting caught by their intended target flapping their gums about some one elses problems that weren't theirs to begin with. Blushing, not because they have the decency to feel bad but because they got caught in the first place (4)

---------------

This could be the most original idea I've seen tackled in poem. Who else but Michael could turn a social issue into a clever vivid poem? such a wonderful poem that highlights a great issue. There ia nothing as ugly as gossiping. It's for the weak and not for the ladies. But hata off for pulling this out so smartly. (4)

The aftermath of pain by Poet on the Piano (14)

This feels like an attempt at relationship with a very complex person which can be so hard and will eventually wear a person down. To me, this piece signals MA mentally preparing to take the next step of saving herself by moving away from the drama, albeit regretfully. Although sad, it's written in a brave and raw style that made it totally relatable. (4)

----------------

A heart touching piece of artful pain. There is power in every line, even that which reflects weakness and sadness. I didn't choose this poem because of its sadness. I chose it because of its power. Thank you for sharing with us. A very unique poem. My favorite this week. (10)

Her Name is November rd by Milo 10 points

There is something about Milo's poems that really make me feel nature and how in tune and intertwined he is with the earth mother. In this dream I'm transported to this place he's at, this whirl wind stirring up the leaves that have fallen, lifting the dead souls to join her and it's a happy time, they know they are going home, joining the others that have gone on before them. Death is viewed by many as such a sad time, but in many cultures it's a time of celebration, not because they are gone but we've had this small moment of their lives that we've been a part of. His poem was such a beautiful way of telling that celebration.

Thereby Your Grave by Mark 7 points

Marks poem this week speaks of his recently departed. Too young to have had passed and he still sees her as this remarkable beauty. The headstone doesn't do her beauty justice, it's old and well, grey. Definitely not befitting her amazing style and beauty. But still he visits this site day after day. I think in a way trying to make sense of the fact she's actually gone, he tells her the days news, maybe worried he's losing her.. Afraid he's going to lose her again should a stray leaf take root and hide her away in its giant roots. Her beauty in his mind will never fade and he spends the rest of his days beside her grave.

Her Undressed (English sonnet) by Ben Pickard 10 Points

This says everything about what a mess we've made as we've evolved but it's expressed so beautifully within a flawless sonnet and makes perfect use of poetic vocabulary. Being slightly tongue in cheek, the message in it feels like a gentle warning rather than a sledgehammer of reproach. Superbly done Ben!

White Sands by Kitty Cat Lady - 7 points

I'm a fan of rhyme, I'm a fan of originality and I love the beach; what's not to like about this?

We all know sand is made up of rocks, glass, shells etc worn down by the...well, sands of time, but fishermen's bones? Well, yes - why not? Still, the beach really is a quite beautiful sort of graveyard, isn't it?

Fire by CJ Maleney - 4 points

Because I related to this, I was unsettled by it. Anyone who knows about that fire knows how hard it is to control the 'beast' that rears its ugly head with it. And as you get older, and you have responsibilities, that can become scary because it's not just about you anymore. You have people who rely on you and expect you to reign that monster in. Trouble is, it's not always that easy...

• Brenda
    4 years ago

Congratulations to all you lovely writers this week, both front page and HM's. Andrea thank you for my nomination, I appreciate you! Rania, thank you for hosting and our judges for making the tough choices! I hope everyone has an awesome week!

• Kitty Cat Lady
    4 years ago

Well done everyone, some great poetry is being showcased :-) thanks so much to Dagmar for my nomination and to the judge for their lovely comments and points. Thanks as always to the judges and mods! :-) x
    =^.^=

• Larry Chamberlin
    4 years ago

Thanks for hosting Rania & thanks to the judges!

Congrats to the 3Ms (MA, Michael & Mark) & to the HMs as well.

• Michael
    4 years ago

Hi all,

Congratulations to MA and Hireath, a pleasure to share the front page with two wonderful poets. To all HMs awarded.

Thank you to all judges for their time. Thank you to the judges that voted on my poem and the lovely comments, much appreciated.

Thanks to Scott who nominated my poem

Much love, M :) x

• Ben Pickard
    4 years ago

Congratulatins to the winners and all the hms. Thank you to the judge who commented on my poem and thank you to the judges in general for their time.

• Poet on the Piano
    4 years ago

Aww, the three M's! We're the Three Musketeers and should write a poem together haha :)

Many thanks to Rania, for hosting, and for the judges' time and determination, as well as their heartfelt comments. I guess I was afraid this piece and the other one from a few weeks ago romanticized pain, but I think I needed to write it out, that sometimes pain cannot be hidden. That sometimes it needs to be shared, because keeping it to ourselves may only lead to our demise. And every kind of pain and struggle is valid. There should never be as I call a "suffering Olympics", though depression can make it easier to stay silent rather than seek out affirmation or help.

Thanks again and congrats to all winners & HM's, you are lovely!

• prasanna
    4 years ago

Thank you Rania for hosting, thank you judges for your hardwork and lovely comments. Congrats to all the other winners and those who picked up a HM! I like the sound of the three musketeers :p

• Larry Chamberlin
    4 years ago

Mayhaps, good Musketeers, you should, all for one, collaborate on a poem, one for all.