Weekly Contest Results 11 November 2019

• Larry Chamberlin
    4 years ago

Perhaps it is because the Northern Hemisphere is coming into winter, or that the Southern Hemisphere is still in the thrall of winter. Whichever is the case, the three judges this week gravitated to poems of loss, isolation and self-doubt. “God of Carnage,” Mark's possibly political lament of his own inaction at the depravity of a community scourge and Noura's feeling of discontinuity and identity confusion in “Small Talk,” each won outright.
    The site broke a tie between two poems with seven (7) points each. Both poems continued the pattern shown above. The winner, “The Sinner and The Storm,” by cantchangeme, is open to interpretation on several layers, yet all possible meanings are intrinsically dark and self-annihilating. Daniel's poem, “Perpendicular,” which also received a seven-vote, is slightly less foreboding as the others. Did the site somehow glom into the mood of the judges? It should be noted that cantchangeme sets a record as the longest member to receive her first win (joined 2004). Certainly it’s not for worthy entries. Take a look at this one from 2009: Playing for Keeps https://www.poems-and-quotes.com/poems/1111695.

Winning Front Page Poems:
    God of Carnage by hiraerh Points: 10+10=20
    Small Talk by nourayasmine Points: 10+7=17
    The Sinner and The Storm by cantchangeme Points: 7

Honorably mentioned:
    Perpendicular by Daniel Points: 7
    Shadow Chasers by Maple Tree Points: 4
    The Silence by Star Points: 4
    Upon This Dying Day by Dill Points: 4

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:
    God of Carnage by hiraerh Points:10
    After the first time I reading this poems, I sat for few minutes taking in this poem. The second time I read it, I got chills. With every part of this, something slid in. A picture, a memory, a thought a feeling. The poem turned into something completely different. And I wander, how it felt writing this. And then I read the description, and realize that this is something out of the poets comfort zone in writing.
    What a genius title and ending line, in describing mental illnesses. Whether it is depression or anything else. The deprivation it causes, takes away the light of life.
    “your world shatters when you learn,
    the thief is a neighbor your stomach
    churns itself in disgust”
    ^
    This part made me feel that someone close must’ve affected you greatly in your past. L
    Also the apology at the end showed how mature you became, not getting over this something but dealing with it. And that you understand people who suffered what you did.
    By the way your choice of category is very interesting.

God of Carnage by hiraeth 10 points
    Mark's poem this week stirred up emotions in myself. This piece reminded me of that lecherous relative or neighbor that has been abusing the kids for years. Everyone knows who they are but whether it be that huge family secret or someone prominent in the community they continue to get away with it. Growing up with all that guilt and shame takes a toll on you. You actually think it's your fault, you could have prevented it. This leads to depression and destructive behavior to yourself. It's hard to flourish and grow when you are always hating yourself. I love the metaphors with the barren fields, so much toxicity kills everything around you, including yourself. Thank you for sharing this Mark.

<~+~><~+~><~+~><~+~><~+~><~+~>
    Small Talk by Nourayasmine 7 points
    Noura is a survivor. Living in the middle of a country that's at war, I can't even begin to understand the depth of her strength. There is not a moment that she feels completely safe and this piece describes this perfectly. Waking up, unhinged, shaking bullet fragments from her hair, day in, day out putting your body through chaos . You never get a chance to heal, gather strength. Her words shared with us brings that home. I'm sorry this is your world, no one should have to go through their days in a constant state of flux. I pray that one day this will not be your world and you will be able to rest and recharge and not have to shake bullet fragments from your hair.

Small Talk by nourayasmine 10 points
    This lady has true elegance flowing within this touching poem. Each line seriously made me tear up.
    "I wake up at night, unhinged, collecting
    bullet fragments off my hair."
    ^^^ These two lines truly gripped me, beyond emotional!
    This poem brings to life a war of emotions and sadness and I had to highlight this poem! Well done-

The Sinner and The Storm by cantchangeme 7 points
    When a soul is lost in darkness, that is when words wrap into a poem and touch the heart of the reader, I cant describe how powerful this poem is. Word usage flips into a unique elegance touching sadness throughout... heart gripping!

Perpendicular by Daniel Points: 7
    Daniel here is contradicting his views for life with someone else views. And for me personally, I could feel disappointment coming from him, but not towards someone specifically, but maybe society or life in general. Perhaps this person is influenced by the society, or even maybe it is society itself and not a person.
    I really enjoyed this write!!

Shadow Chasers by Maple Tree Points:4
    A mother’s love is one of the greatest of them all. Andrea in here had showed her pain watching her daughter suffer, and believes that even her unconditional love isn’t enough to heal her daughter’s wings. A painful piece coming from a strong woman!!

The Silence by Star 4 points
    Silent time reflection, solitude brings words to life-
    Bruised palms, hurting from writing true feelings and yet at the end hopeful for a new beginning, love this!!

Upon This Dying Day by Dill 4 points
    Dill writes of coming together for a funeral. Funerals are not my favorite gathering, we have lost a loved one, a good friend. I do like the way Dill puts everything into perspective of yes, this person is no longer here but one day again we will meet up with our dearly deceased and pick back up again. I love that thought! I too like to think I will reunite with all that have gone on before me. Regaling in old stories and times we may or maybe not made the best choices. A second lifetime within a lifetime, such a lovely thought.

• Brenda
    4 years ago

Hello my fellow writers! What a week and all these amazing poems! Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! Larry, thank you for hosting and our new group of judges, I appreciate you all!

• Maple Tree
    4 years ago

Congratulations everyone <3

Thank you Judge, melts my heart <3

• Star
    4 years ago

Thank you so much ^_^
    Congratulations everyone!!!!
    Thank you Larry for hosting :)

• Poet on the Piano
    4 years ago

Emotional yet powerful poems this week! Congrats to all. Thank you to our three judges and to Larry, for hosting.

• Ben Pickard
    4 years ago

A fine job, everyone. Some deserved wins and hms too. Many thanks to the new judges for their time and efforts.

Ben

• prasanna
    4 years ago

Thank you judges for your comments & your hard work. Congrats to the other winners, and those who picked up a HM :)