Weekly Contest Winners - November 18, 2019!

• PnQ Mod Account
    4 years ago

Hello! There are three clear winners this week. Andrea writes an emotional reminder that there is always light in darkness, a piece for Robyn that is woven with metaphors and as usual, her stunning imagery and connection to nature. Next, Hope immerses us in what is despair and loneliness, noting that she is the stranger inside. And Ben, in his captivating brevity, shares the painstaking lines of a lost love, something that should have been eternal, and the sorrow that ensues. So much is said in these writes, all of them fitting in the dark/sad categories, yet there is profound meaning and purpose found in them. Congrats to you three and to our HM's! Thank you to the judges, for your time. I hope everyone has a fantastic week!

-MA

WINNERS:

"Corpse Angels" by: Maple Tree 10 + 10 = 20 points

"Through A Strangers Cry" by: Hope 10 + 7 = 17 points

"and froze" by: Ben Pickard 4 + 4 + 4 = 12 points

COMMENTS:

"Corpse Angels" by: Maple Tree

"Andrea has written about her daughter's struggles with addiction openly and unflinchingly. It takes a strong woman to endure the heartache having a child that you would move heaven and earth for, knowing there is only so much you can do for them. It is their battle but you never stop worrying and you never stop loving them, because that's what a mom does. Andrea writes for all the lost angels, with hopes they will be protected throughout the night, that they find safe shelter and hopefully find their way back home again." (10)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"The first thing that came to my mind after reading the title, the animation Corpse Bride. And the then the mood of the poem is something similar to the movie. The imagery in the poem is out of this world and so beautiful. Like this one:
    “They only know sorrow as sun
    dips down every day to kiss them,”

I love how the ending line is so simple after, all the imagery in the poem. “because when in darkness there is always light.”

The poem for me resembles all the outcast people from society, which here they are called “Corpse Angels”. And how they are belittled, and becomes intimidated to face the world. But they’re reassured that there are people who care notice and about care about them." (10)

"Through A Strangers Cry" by: Hope

"I can't begin to express my love for this poem. Its rich with elegant word usage and the display makes me feel like its a tear drop. I loved the lines, each line- pulled me in and left me speechless!" (10)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"This kind of poem gets me distracted half way through, but not this one. This has so much emotion in it. Losing a relationship is always something tough to deal with. And you became a stranger to yourself, and even your tears don’t feel like they’re yours. I love how “Cry,” came alone in a line, I love that emphasis. And then the poem returns to its slam style. I felt empathetic, with the struggle of finding yourself back. I loved this!!" (7)

"and froze" by: Ben Pickard

"New angle on frozen over. The frost upon the glasses just got me. Small and yet power packed with a sorrowful message, unique and touching. Ben got me this week, love this!" (4)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Ben's poem this week, although short in stature packed a wallop with his words. Dying love, the kind you think will never end. Metaphorically using winter's icy breath, stealing that love from under you. Left out to die in the frigid temperatures when you thought your warmth would be enough. It takes two to keep a relationship going, if one has already checked out, no matter what you do it will never be enough. Reminds me of an old Foreigner song "Cold as ice". Nicely done Ben!" (4)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Although the poem is short, it feels like a sudden thought turned into a genius write. We feel like the promises did not go through to the other person. And love has lost its way in the tough winter." (4)

HM's:

"Love's Greater Voice" by: Mark

"Mark oozes his love, talent and style within this sonnet and I cant express enough how much I was drawn and captivated with this poem. I am not one to gush over love poetry... it takes a lot for me to "swoon", this poem left me in a puddle of romantic loveliness <3" (7)

"Shocked" by: Michael

"Michael's poem this week highlights the joy of getting married and the sorrow of love ending. We start out so happy, everything is happy, we are giddy, love being in love. Things happen, life gets rough, outside forces can rip apart that love. Sometimes you don't even see it coming, one partner thinks all is good. So when your significant other announces they are through it can be, well.shocking. There is nothing left and as Michael so aptly put, it leaves you speechless." (7)

• prasanna
    4 years ago

Congrats to all the winners, and those who picked up a HM!

Thank you judges for your hard work.

• Brenda
    4 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! Beautiful writing to all of you! Thank you Mary Anne for hosting and our judges for making the tough choices. Happy writing everybody!

• Ben Pickard
    4 years ago

Thank you to the three judges for their comments and to the judges in general for their time.
    Well done to the two other winners and all the hms.

• Larry Chamberlin
    4 years ago

Congrats to the winners and honorably mentioned. Thanks to the three judges and thanks to MA for hosting.

• Meena Krish
    4 years ago

Congrats to the Winners and HMs
    Thanks to the 3 judges and thank you for hosting MA!

• Michael
    4 years ago

Hi all :)

Congratulations to all front-page poets, and HMs awarded.

Thank you to all the judges for their precious time each week, to the judge who voted my poem and lovely comments much appreciated.

Much love, M :)x