2020 March 02, Weekly Contest Results

• Larry Chamberlin
    4 years ago

Opening, closing and running to stay in the same place. Tanya’s heartfelt ode to her friend, Diane, who opened Tanya’s mind and her heart, but Diane’s soul began closing inexorably as her mind strove to retain its place despite Alzheimer. Ddavidd opens multiple cycles of a closed system which ultimately return us to a place we never left. Maher seeks to open his mind to some idea, anything to focus upon, to develop, but feels his mind is closed, blocked from expression, yet develops his stationary run quite deftly.

Interesting week: no poem got more than one vote, so lots of HMs.

Front page winners:
    For my friend Diane Picker by Tanya Southey 10 points
    Things About “Now” by Bob Gallo 10 points
    Writer's Block by Maher 10 points

Honorably mentioned:
    I Don't Need You To Bleed by Obscure 7 points
    Let Be Three by Mark 7 points
    One by Obscure 7 points
    Prey by Nourayasimine 4 points
    The Moon by Satish Verma 4 points
    The Sundial by Satish Verna 4 points

Comments

For my friend Diane Picker by Tanya Southey 10 points
    A devastatingly beautiful and touching poem written for someone dear to Tanya’s heart. Alzheimer’s robs us of closed loved ones, and watching their decline can be one of the hardest things to do, Tanya ensured that her memory will never be forgotten.

Things About “Now” by Bob Gallo 10 points
    The title at first made me think that the poem would be about. Things that are happening these days. But it was more than that. Everything around us is moving, us, the cells within us, the air, the particles within everything and the atoms that may appear still but can never be. Can the time stop? Are we sure that now is really now? Even by saying now, we miss the timing. Love the ending.
    Thought provoking for sure!!

Writer's Block by Maher 10 points
    The inability to write is the bane of existence to a poet. Maher hits the nail on the head when it comes to how many of us have felt a time or two. He pulls us in his poem as fellow sufferers, I found myself nodding along, yup, done that, felt that. The anxious feeling you get when you can't seen to string some words together to form something that doesn't resemble absolute crap. Plenty of material our there, lost love, death, happiness. So why can't we write something? The brilliance of this piece is the fact that Maher writes this amazing poem about writer's block while having writers block! I only wish I could formulate such a piece as this! 10 points!

I Don't Need You To Bleed by Obscure 7 points
    We are our own worse enemy. We are quite capable of destroying ourselves really well thank you very much. Obscure writes of someone else who is bent on destroying her but this person is no match for her own thoughts. I got the feeling she was basically telling this other person that they were pretty much amateur hour and to shove off. I get that. All our thoughts and insecurities play on continuous loop in our heads, whispering every misstep we have ever done. I can definitely identify with her words. There's a lot of strength in this piece also. To be able to face our own thoughts each day and continue on really shows that we are far more than we give ourselves credit for.

Let Be Three by Mark 7 points
    Mark bares his heart in this absolutely beautiful poem written in verse and it’s easily one of my favourites.

One by Obscure 7 points
    This felt a little different, form other poems Obscure has written. It’s soft, sweet yet very delicate. There is consolation and feels like the clock stops ticking when she is around that person. It is a reminder that everything will be all right if we have just one person like that in our lives.
    Love this write!!!

Prey by Nourayasimine 4 points
    We have all known that person who you know is such a snake in the grass. They go after the gullible and innocent. They get what they want and leave them, hurt, destroyed. Nourayasimine puts this person in perfect description. I love her graphic use of words, chew them up, spit them out. She allowed this person to be close to her, always slithering near, never thinking it could be her that would fall to his charms. Never thinking He would ever treat her that same way. " She never saw it coming", love that by the way...We usually don't and that's why it hurts the way it does. This person you thought was a friend never really was. Took what they wanted and dipped out. I guess the only solace you can take is Karma will catch up to him one day and it won't be pretty.

The Sundial by Satish Verna 4 points
    For some reason this poem I got chills reading this poem. I am not sure how I can explain the emotions that went through me while reading this, It’s like something I never experienced before. I had memories and realty slap me in the face within few moments. This is very powerful!!!

The Moon by Satish Verma 4 points
    Satish Verma is masterful with his personification and this one is no different, a beautiful portrayal of the moon.

• BOB GALLO
    4 years ago, updated 4 years ago

Thank you judges. Larry, then Mark, Lise and Meena. Flattered.

• Brenda
    4 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! Beautiful writing all! Thank you Larry for hosting and our judges for your time and making the tough choices.

• Meena Krish replied to Brenda
    4 years ago

Congrats to all the winners and thanks to Larry for hosting

• Koan
    4 years ago, updated 4 years ago

Hi guys!
    Congrats on the wins and HMs Poets!
    Its kind of sad to see that not many members give a much deserved respect to this thread...
    Maybe Im too high or just simply wrong but to me this thread and every other Weekly Contest Results should have been "exhausted" from replies and congrats...
    I understand that some of us are not as "vocal" as others but come on POETS! If WE don't praise our fellow members work and show them support WHO will?
    After all, this is a site that is dedicated to poetry...

• Maher
    4 years ago

Thanks all and congrats to everyone who was nominated. It's always good to know that there are people out there who relate to what you submit enough to nominate it or leave a comment on how they interpret it :)

• Ben Pickard
    4 years ago

Well said, Alfred. Congratulatins to everyone and thank you judges.