Weekly Contest Results, 30 March 2020

• Larry Chamberlin
    4 years ago

Between the embrace and the casting off is the instant of potential. We start with Mark’s paean to the splendor of Fraser Island in which his Guide to Natures Love shows a wide open appreciative embrace of nature. Continue on to Ddavidd’s exuberance at the kinetic energy of the lifelike denizens In the Toy Shop which are forever poised at their eternal potential. Conclude our journey with Ben’s iambic taunt to remorse given and rejected despite his having Cried and Bled.

Weekly winners for the Front Page:
    Cried And Bled by Ben Pickard points : 7+10=17
    A guide to natures love (Frazer Island) by Michael points : 10
    In the Toy Shop by BOB GALLO points : 10

Honorably mentioned by the judges:
    Escaping the Sun by Star points : 7
    Road Blues. A Pleasant Death by Tony Grannell points : 7
    Replaced by Walter points : 4
    The sublime beauty by Ya----Na points : 4
    untitled by hiraeth points : 4

Cried and Bled by Ben Pickard 10 points
    Ben's talents when it comes to writing really shine on these pages. Beautifully written and rhymed this piece tells us that no matter what we all will die, no matter what good or bad deeds we've done, it will all end. He stands there, arms outspread, remorseful over his part in this world. We should all be asking for forgiveness for our part in the destruction of this world. Maybe if we change our ways we might still have a fighting chance?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cried and Bled by Ben Pickard 7 points
    So many great powerful poetry this week, but I chose this because it felt like it is a part of a story, I’m probably wrong. The first time I read this, what came to my mind is that the person here is reminiscing over a lost love from the point of view of a poet. But then this other thought came to me, another perspective maybe inspired by the”I bled” part. This poem feels like a part of a story of soldier who has gone back home after war, and his life is no longer the life he knew before.
    Very sad and captivating!

A guide to natures love (Frazer Island) by Michael points : 10
    A wonderful ode to the beauty and charisma of nature. The imagery is rich, and every verse is purposeful. What really distinguished this poem from most nature poems is the personification was spot on. It could read as a love poem for someone else. One stanza that really stood out to me was the fourth stanza

"the sound of your voice carried
    an orchestra of water, that
    gently rushed through my ears
    creating a twilight lullaby"

I felt like I was able to hear it too! Really well done.

In the Toy Shop by BOB GALLO points : 10
    When I was a child, I was a really light sleeper. A tap somewhere around would wake me up. The way I dealt with this, is by closing my eyes and making up a world in my head, inspired by people around me, cartoons or movies with so many character and of course me as the lead. It helped me go back to sleep every time I woke up. I know this poem means way more than that, but it has become a special poem for me. Thank you so much for not giving up on this poem and posting it again!!

Escaping the Sun by Star points : 7
    First off I have to disagree with one of the comments that were left on this poem. This poem is beautiful and has a real meaning to it. To me, this poem is about insomnia, a character who is trying ever so hard to get some sleep and escape the sun but is struggling to do so. Notes of silence to me is very telling of night along with shadows performing rituals. Compacted sun makes me think of a waxing crescent moon, along with the very clear indication of weary eyes. It's a very unique write as it is experimental but they have gotten their message off very clearly!

Road Blues. A Pleasant Death by Tony Grannell 7 points
    Tony has become a regular on the nomination board and obviously for good reason. He writes these wonderful pieces, stories of sorts. This one is no exception. He tells a story of a man without a home, he walks these roads and depends on the kindness of strangers that he meets in his travels. He has traveled for many of years and he is tired. This last home he arrives at the last has been more than kind. She feeds him, provides drink and a warm place to sleep for the night. He never wakes the next day but he knew kindness. How many people out there know no kindness as they travel these streets? So many of us, including myself don't worry about where we will sleep tonight, if we will have food to eat. We are very blessed with all the creature comforts. We need to always remember the less fortunate and practice kindness. It may be the only warmth that person experiences that day.

Replaced by Walter 4 points
    When I began reading this piece I did think Walter was writing about another person. As I read further I realized he was talking about his lost relationship with nature. It made me sad and as I absorbed his words I thought back to my younger years and how nature and I were one. I loved walking in the woods with my dog just communing. Feeling the breeze, smelling the earth, hearing the trees creak. My life is now filled with concrete, fast food joints and traffic. My beloved nature has taken a backseat to the grind of everyday life, much like Walters. I feel his sadness and I mourn his loss.

The sublime beauty by Ya----Na points : 4
    A very strong poem to break the poet's hiatus. The imagery in this poem is second to none.

untitled by hiraeth points : 4
    I love how the poem was titled untitled. It made me give it a different title every time I read it. Maybe it was meant to be titled “untitled” like a headline of the love in this love, like being not sure of its status. The opening here is very mind blowing. Expressing how to see a person grow, with the castle, the hummingbirds and the words that learn to sore like a chick learning to fly. Then comes the unsure “I love you” and the powerful “I love you”. And the powerful ending lines, that leaves us realizing maybe the poet knew this person may not stay, or the love may not last. But the person was loved as their nature and true self; a hummingbird

• BOB GALLO
    4 years ago

Thank you judges, and host. Larry for the wise words, adding some taste.
    Thanks also to Hellon and Mark .

• Star
    4 years ago

Thank you so much to the judge, you’ve got it right :)
    Congrats everyone, really great poetry.
    Also thank you Larry for posting!

• Ben Pickard
    4 years ago

Thank you very much to the judges for their time, comments and perception on my poem. Thanks also to Scott for the nomination and congratulations to all.

Stay well, everyone

• Brenda
    4 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! A lot of diverse writing which is the wonderfulness of this site. Larry, thank you for hosting and our judges for making the tough picks. I hope everyone has a safe and happy week.

• Meena Krish replied to Brenda
    4 years ago

Congrats to the front page Winners and all those who got HM. Thank you Sir L for hosting and thanks to the judges for their time.

• Tony Grannell replied to Larry Chamberlin
    4 years ago

Dear Judges,
    I very much appreciate the nomination, truly and three cheers to the winners, well, well worthy indeed.
    Kind regards, Tony.

• Michael
    4 years ago

Hi all :)

Firstly I hope everyone is well throughout this world-wide situation we are faced with. Sending love to each and everyone of you :)

Thank you Larry for hosting, and to all the judges for their efforts and time with the weekly competition. Thank you to the judge for your lovely comments and voting for my poem, also thank you to Scott for his nomination.

congratulations to the other two poets on the front page, and all HMs awarded.

Keep safe.... Keep well, much love M :)X