Coping with Corona Virus Threat - Moving Forward

• Milly Hayward
    3 years ago

Its now compulsory in the UK for people to wear face masks in shops. So it occurred to me that causes difficulties for some people. For example affordability and maybe not being able to get hold of masks. If you wear glasses they might steam up or if you wrar hearing aids they may be loosened by the elastic over the ears. So I wondered how others deal with the issues of keeping safe that they could share? What works for you?

I find it hard really uncomfortable for elastic around my ears so my solution is to sew two buttons on each side of a wide headband (higher than my ears) and attach the elastic arround the buttons. Much more comfortable to wear

• Hellon replied to Milly Hayward
    3 years ago

I think anything that covers your nose and mouth is acceptable so, if you can't afford/get your hands on/ feel uncomfortable wearing a face mask a scarf, neck warmer etc would be the same. Just remember to wash it regularly.

• Poet on the Piano
    3 years ago

Very valid and helpful questions to ask!

From the perspective of someone in the US, I've seen both kinds of reactions to masks. They are required in a few grocery stores here, and it was just today I believe that Walmart is requiring customers to wear them (along with employees, but that was already being done to my knowledge). Another popular chain is only now requiring masks. This has frustrated me because while I'm glad they're taking action, even if it means alienating a client base, it feels insincere because they should have required this for the safety and employees and customers MONTHS ago. But that's my opinion. I believe every business should put the safety of patrons first and risk angering people by requiring masks. It shows they care and want to take extra steps. It's not taking anyone's rights away, and I honestly think (for those who have access to masks), people are being willfully selfish. It's a simple task, and it shouldn't take mandates to make people aware. We should all want to help each other and even if you don't have symptoms, or don't have much stock in the efficiency of masks, it's still a sign of respect and selflessness to wear one.

How I see it is that while we may have the right to complain, a majority of us are not nurses wearing them for 12 hours at a time, and wearing them for work or simple errands is not that big of a burden. One's comfort should not come over the reality of people dying. Working at an orchestra where older patrons make up a lot of the population of concert-goers, some people have been saying that the elderly should not have to wear masks if they already deal with respiratory issues. And I disagree. If you feel like a mask will inhibit or hinder your ability to breathe freely, maybe you shouldn't be going out in the first place, but I realize that's too black-and-white, and often times there is no choice BUT to go out for essential things.

That's not to say there aren't cool tips and tricks for wearing masks, because there are some fun "hacks" to helping those who wear glasses (like myself) and ways that it can ease the discomfort or irritation. Just look online and there's countless pieces of advice.

• Milly Hayward
    3 years ago, updated 3 years ago

I suffer from respiratry issues and would rather wear masks than end up on invasive ventalators. Already preparing to go out for an appointment I have purchased masks with filters, plastic gloves, a plastic visor and anti bacteria wipes from online shopping. My concerns are germs getting onto my wheelchair and transferring but theres not a lot I can do about that. Certainly people wearing masks means less germs on the shop floors which makes me feel safer.

• Hellon replied to Milly Hayward

If you are in your own wheelchair and wearing all the protective things that you have bought, you should be quite safe I'm sure. Do the stores there have wipes to clean shopping trolleys? I'm sure they will so you can wipe your chair down with them before and after leaving the store. I'm sure every place that you may need to visit for appointments will be offering the same sanitizing products. Well... I really hope so...

• Milly Hayward replied to Hellon

Sadly we cant rely on shops making the right kind of provision for disabled people so we have to do a bit of planning of our own. I much more confident knowing that my husband has everything in hand as he will be witb me and be responsible for wiping down wheels and handles etc.

Just a quick change of subject...

Has anyone in the UK been contacted about trialling one of five drugs should they develop Corona Viris symptoms?

We have both been contacted and wondered if the hospitals are targeting everyone or just people in poor health as that was one of the criteria for acceptance on the trials

• Milly Hayward replied to Hellon

Sadly we cant rely on shops making the right kind of provision for disabled people but that definitely should be something shops should consider

• Maple Tree
    3 years ago

Here in New York, we are required to wear Masks everywhere in public and if a mask is not worn, you can not enter a public place. I wear glasses and hear aides. It is a pain for me, my elastic interferes with the aides, knocking them out and what not. You can make your own masks very easily. I cut a pair of leggings like a tube shape and have worn that, nothing over the ears, that helps. Working at the homeless shelter, we have had home made masks donated and a few of them work better as well.