Weekly Contest Winners - November 2, 2020!

• PnQ Mod Account
    3 years ago, updated 3 years ago

Hello, everyone! Happy November. Hope you all are well :)

Posting a bit early here but this week we had both our judges choose Cassie's "The Garden Ghost" as their "10" vote. Cassie's poem is brimming with breath-taking imagery that makes you feel as if you're standing in the middle of the garden, watching and wondering about this woman's story and the way she haunts the garden for eternity. Next is Em's "Unknown", an alliterative, creative piece that is perfect for this season, seeing as we just got through Halloween. But it could also be a metaphor for the current state of the world, and chaos, and the monsters we can become. And finally, Lost Star's "When Hearts Divide", a heart-tugging poem about lost love and the impact of someone no longer being with us.

Congrats to all! Thank you to our two judges for their time and dedication.
    - MA

WINNERS:

"The Garden Ghost" by: Cassie Hughes

"She wrote this poem about me, I know she did" Ha-

When a reader can sit after reading this poem and feel this way it means its a very powerful poem. Cassie did just that and more with this beautiful, dark, artistic and creative gem of a poem. The beautiful visual word display is excellent all the way through- but my all time favorite line has to be the ending, "Over thyme her flaws revealed" - spices and nature play of words its so rich with creative flavor,

I'm in love with this poem!!" (10)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"I have to be honest, although there was some marvellous poetry nominated this week, to read a poem so beautifully rhymed and with so much attention to detail was a treat indeed. And I mean that - this was a treat that I came back to again and again, as did my family, I should point out. The personification of the flowers - not just generally but with individual characteristics - and the knowledge Cassie displays bringing them to life is sublime. "Over thyme her flaws revealed" - a stroke of brilliance and a pun worthy of 10 by itself. This is a poet's poem of the highest order." (10)

"Unknown" by: Emi

"I had to highlight this poem for this week, and I'm going to explain why. Em has crafted a powerful poem this week, and it looks like a cute Halloween poem, but I feel its a metaphoric poem to what is going on around the world today (I may be wrong but this is how I am reading this poem and I just love it). One of my favorite things of many is the fun explanation of the words such as "outrageous ogre" and so on through out... It makes me feel like she is talking about politicians... and I agree with her one hundred percent. Such a creative and unique twist of a poem by Em this week! LOVE this!!" (7)

"When Hearts Divide" by: Lost Star

"If Lost Star's recent 'Forest Nights' was detailed, sprawling and full of lush imagery, then this acts as a counterweight and proves that brevity can be equally effective. The formatting is delicate, the subtle rhyming even more so, and the content means that the overall feeling the reader is left with is a fully intended, terrible sort of emptiness. Personally, I would like to see the poem bookended with another "I miss you" but then, I have always been a sucker for drama and flogging a good 'chorus' to death!" (7)

HM's:

"Just following the rules" by: Mr Darcy

"Well, if nothing else, this syntuit might possibly have given a good deal of robber wannabes an idea about how their time might best be employed in regards to exploiting this wretched pandemic. However, for the rest of us, it is nothing more that a felicitous and humorous little piece of writing that cuts straight to the heart of these troubled times we live in and squeezes any amusement there is to be found there all over the bank clerk's floor! Well done, Michael, and thank you for this." (4)

"The Master Class" by: Mark Spencer

"Mark never disappoints with his rhyme poems and he is an inspirational writer to a tee! This is a global poem, the "master class" stomping on the precious people of the world. Politicians... Greedy and powerful... Just a powerful rhyme poem packed with such truth- Had to highlight!" (4)

• Michael
    3 years ago

Hi all,

Congratulations to all front page poets, and HMs awarded:)
    Thanks to the 2 judges for their time, much appreciated.
    Thanks to Scott for nominating. M :)

• Star

Congrats everyone ^_^
    Thank you judges and MA for your time!

• Everlasting

“The Garden Ghost" by: Cassie Hughes

"She wrote this poem about me, I know she did" Ha-

^ To the judge who said that she wrote this poem about them...” haha nope, she wrote it about me.
    Just read the last stanza,... Uhmm (shyly speaking while blushing) it says that I must return. “ last time I checked I’m Everlasting in this site. Lol

• cassie hughes
    3 years ago

Thank you so very much to the Judges for awarding me the win and for such high praise. I am truly honoured.
    Congratulations to the other worthy winners too. There were some fantastic poems nominated this week.
    A big thank you also to Ben for the nomination. Your support is always very much appreciated.

• Ben Pickard
    3 years ago

Really classy poetry all round this week. Well done.

• Larry Chamberlin replied to Everlasting
    3 years ago

Everlasting/Luce: { To the judge who said that she wrote this poem about them...” haha nope, she wrote it about me.
    Just read the last stanza,... Uhmm (shyly speaking while blushing) it says that I must return. “ last time I checked I’m Everlasting in this site. Lol}

Luce, we really need laugh tags for this site. Good one.

• Maple Tree
    3 years ago

Beautiful poetry- Congratulations everyone

• Brenda
    3 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! Beautiful! Thank you our two judges and Mary Anne for hosting. Write on everyone!

• Mr. Darcy
    3 years ago

Hello. Nice to be back.
    Thanks to MA for hosting. Congratulations to this week's deserving wins and my fellow HM. Thanks, too, to Ben for nominating my little syntuit - it's nice to see humour highlighted in these times.

• Lost star
    3 years ago

That's amazing thank you judges so much for your time and to the judge for their very humbling comment's. Congratulations winners & hm's the poetry is outstanding.

• Em
    3 years ago

Well done to my fellow front pagers. Thank you to the judge who thought my piece was worthy. I truly appreaicte you, bless your heart... You've got it spot on. Well done to all hms too. Alot of excellent work this week.

Thanks again. I appreciate it xx