Weekly Contest Winners - February 15, 2021!

• PnQ Mod Account
    3 years ago, updated 3 years ago

Happy Monday! Many thanks to the three judges this week for their time and dedication. Star's piece, "an awakened encounter", caught the judges' attention, a haunting and foreboding piece with a lot of mystery and intrigue. Next, Stephanie's piece and her first win, "Same Name", comments on the pain of losing a relationship, and moving forward with her head held high, as well as a possible commentary on self-worth and reflection in trying to process those who leave us behind. And lastly, Luce's piece, "Advice From a Dog" is a clever introduction to a form that may be new to some of us, with some humor and playfulness in the theme.

Congrats to all! Hope everyone is staying healthy. Take care, and have a great start to the week :)

-MA

WINNERS:

"an awakened encounter" by: Star

"I loved this. "The giggling stars" was all this poem really needed as far as I was concerned! And the idea that they and the "murmuring trees" were actually never really doing anything but laughing at you, not with you, is hugely affecting. Sanity is fleeting at best for some people, so those moments of clarity are all the more precious. But what if they were only ever a lie? Perhaps those moments, then, are the maddest of all." (10)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"There is so much to decipher and reflect upon while reading this beautiful poem, its visuals are breathtaking and just a delight to read. I feel like depression is circling this message and the bonds that challenge you, trying to break free- just my take on it. The nature tones are captivating!!" (7)

"Same Name" by: Stephanie

"A powerful voice can be heard in this delightful poem message by Stephanie! What an in depth look into her emotions and feelings upon someone or something that has tried to take her down and yet she has managed to rise above, seeing her faults and moving forward through writing and in life- what a beautiful poem!" (10)

"Advice From a Dog (Nove/Acrostic)" by: Everlasting

"Firstly, this is a form I don’t think I have seen, if at all, on this site. I notice too, the poet has increased the level of difficulty with meter, rhyme and acrostic for good measure! A poem of this standard, albeit a comedy poem, I find, undoubtedly, worthy of my top points. Secondly, no comment!" (10)

HM's:

"If a tree falls in a forest..." by: Kitty Cat Lady

"The title in itself has me in awe, taking the message showing strength and truth along with a beautiful visual display! I adore poetry that screams strength and determination to rise above! So pretty!" (4)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"A clever closing couplet brings a sad but wonderfully worded/rhymed poem to a fitting close. Pain is hard enough to deal with, let alone if you are starved of support and compassion." (4)

"Audio" by: Obscure

"A solid rhyme scheme and some pretty good meter goes a long way in guiding us smoothly through the story that this poem is telling. I have always found the idea of hearing or seeing someone after they have passed on rather odd. If they are truly gone, how is it that we can still be listening to them or seeing them move? And perhaps that's the very thing: they cannot be truly gone. As long as their words and actions are still with us/affect us and still carry weight with us, then they matter and some part of them lives on forever. I believe that must be the case here. Well done, and sympathies if this poem is literal in any way." (7)

"Meditation ( tanka ) by: Keira Pickard

"Keira strikes again! This young lady is slowly stretching her abilities, feeling her way through this wonderous world of poetry. Here we have a Tanka (short song) some may not know this, but did you know this form predates the Haiku form? So, it’s really old! if I remember correctly, her dad wrote some of the earliest ones? These were traditionally about love, it is documented that Japanese courting would use this form, to express their feelings for each other. Nowadays, the form is open to an array of subject matter. In just 31 syllables set over 5 lines (5/7/5/7/7) Keira takes us on a journey, this time observing another ancient form, this of mediation. Simply by closing one’s eyes and concentration on the self, a person can, with practice, attain the ability to shed the weight of the world and free the body and mind." (7)

"Questions" by: Obscure

"I do like a good old traditional poem set out in sets of pleasing rhyme. The poem is helpful advice to another, perhaps someone younger, someone who seems to be travelling the same path as the poet? Passing on knowledge is important. The life lesson of not ‘bottling emotions up’ allowing them to be processed in a healthy way is a good one! Not just for you, but for those relationships around you. On the whole this poem is written well and certainly deserves to be highlighted." (4)

• Keira Pickard replied to PnQ Mod Account
    3 years ago

Congratulations to the winners and HMs! Thank you to the judges, MA for hosting and the lovely judging comment and HM.

• Meena Krish replied to Keira Pickard
    3 years ago

Congrats Winners and those who received HMs! Thank you judges for your time and thank you for hosting MA!

• Star
    3 years ago

Thank you for the amazing comments, with the talent this week I didnt expect this^_^

Congrats everyone!! Thank you judges and MA for your time :)

• Brenda
    3 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! Awesome writing and variety all around. Thank you to our judges and Mary Anne for hosting. I appreciate you all!

• Kitty Cat Lady
    3 years ago

Thanks as always to the judges and MA for hosting. Congratulations to the worthy winners and HM's this week.
    Thanks very much to the judges for their points, lovely comments and my HM and to Mr D for nominating me, I'm really chuffed :-) x
    =^.^=

• Ben Pickard
    3 years ago

Well done, all. Great pieces all round this week. Many thanks to the judges, as ever.

• Mr. Darcy
    3 years ago, updated 3 years ago

Congratulations to all winners and those poet's who scooped an HM. Thanks to MA for hosting and for our, not 1, not 2, but 3 judges - you guys rock!

• Larry Chamberlin
    3 years ago

Congrats to the winners & the honorably mentioned!

Thanks THREE judges, may you be multiplied!

Thanks for posting, MA!

• Everlasting
    3 years ago

Congratulations everyone. And thank you!

Specially thanks to Mr. Darcy for inspiring me.

• Darren
    3 years ago

congrats to all