Weekly Contest Winners - February 22, 2021!

• PnQ Mod Account
    3 years ago, updated 3 years ago

Hello and happy Monday! I hope everyone had a good weekend. We only had two judges this week, but I am super grateful for their time.

Both judges voted for Jane's piece, "A City at Lunchtime", which is a perfectly captured moment in time that shows the beauty and warmth in humanity that we often overlook. Highlighted next is "The Trellis Path" by RSGood, a testament to love filled with beautiful imagery and similes. RSGood recently joined the site and this is his first win, so please welcome him to PnQ! Last but not least, Luce writes a very vivid and clever Nove Otto String and Acrostic in "The Old Dog and The Cat", with the last stanza referencing her piece from last week. Congrats to you three!

And congrats to our Honorable Mentions: Darklight, and Rog (who is also a new member).

I hope this week is kind to everyone, take care!

-MA

WINNERS:

"A City at Lunchtime" by: Jane Do-Re-Mi

"Visual display at its finest! I could also hear the sounds of the city as well, each line is just beautiful. The word usage is fresh and fun which makes this poem just stand out above the rest. Love this poem!" (10)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"We all have paused, in awe, to watch a street artist sketch a masterpiece in chalk onto the pavement. Like beach sand sculptures, they are both fragile and this seems to add to their magnificence. The writer pens an equally special scene, that of the fragility of beauty, but how it can often transcend. The clever imagery and the portrayal of emotion flowed from scene to scene and I could not help being, like that sandcastle, swept away. It captured me in the very best way!" (7)

"The Old Dog and The Cat (Nove Otto String/ Acrostic)" by: Everlasting

"Some may say the acrostic form is child’s play, merely a tool used in a classroom to teach basic poetry. As true as that may be, there are few accomplished writers who are able to elevate the form to new heights of excellence by grafting it onto another. But why? Well, why not? I would say, as it’s the challenge that helps us grow! I am sure when this poet decided to graft the Nove Otto onto a, not one but a, string of acrostic words, she did not know the ‘toil’, that I am sure, resulted. Add to this, this poem is actually a sweet story that continues from her last Novo Otto, “Advice from a dog” and tells of how a cat became part of the family where each must play its part. As for the mystery acrostic phrase, I suggest you work this out for yourselves." (10)

"The Trellis Path" by: RSGood

"This love poem is rich with nature and oozing with pure love. I love the unique picture scene that takes place as I read this poem. Each line is detailed and the path of flowers is just lovely. Very pretty and unique poem!" (7)

HM's:

"Courage" by: Rog

"The repeat of the first half of this poem, “not in…” held an ardent call for me as did the connecting thought-provoking words. This poem pivots mid-way and answers the ‘not’ with, ‘it is’. The message for me is: that we are often blind to the positives in life, and if stop looking/listening to our unconscious bias, then with courage, new possibilities can be found. “untie your horse let it break free” (4)

"The dancing silence" by: DarkLight

"My mind pictures a soul lost in the void of darkness and yet it continues to be strong, with a powerful fighting will to live. The tones of stars and space capture this inspirational poem quite brilliantly. Wonderful!" (4)

• Keira Pickard

Congratulations all winners and HMs! Thank you to the judges. Also, welcome to poems and quotes, RSGood, congratulations on your win!

• Star
    3 years ago

Really diverse writing this week!! Congrats everyone :)

Thank you judges for you dedication, and MA for your time!

• Everlasting

“ I am sure when this poet decided to graft the Nove Otto onto a, not one but a, string of acrostic words, she did not know the ‘toil’, that I am sure, resulted. “

^this is certainly not the longest of the poems that I’ve written. I once wrote an unfinished string of five sonnets for a judge. That was meant to be ten sonnets but I couldn’t finish it in one week so the inspiration left. As for this one, it’s only 63 lines and I feel like it’s done, but oh judge like you said, ‘she did not know the “toil”’...

she certainly didn’t.

Writing an acrostic with rhymes and trying to maintain meter (for the most part) has fried my brain. These past days, I’m super sleepy/tired and extra hungry. But it was totally worth it. Lol I feel accomplished. Thank you for your vote and comment. You have no idea how much it means to me. Thank you!

By the way, congrats winners and hm’s.

• M.Useless replied to Keira Pickard

Thank you, I am overwhelmed, because of the amount of talent I have found here. Thanks again to all.

• Mr. Darcy
    3 years ago

Oh no, we've lost a judge. Send a search party, quick!!
    *Inaudible whisper* ...oh, this happens from time to time. Silly me! :)

Thanks for hosting MA, congratulations to our winners, HMs and a huge warm welcome to our newbies.

• Brenda
    3 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! Welcome to our newest members! Thank you to our judges and Mary Anne for hosting. Happy writing everyone!

• Milly Hayward

Congratulations to this weeks front page winners and HMs. Thanks to the two judges for volunteering to judge (no mean feat given the wonderful talent on the site). And thanks to MA for hosting. Xx

• Ben Pickard
    3 years ago

Well done and many thanks to the judges.