Weekly Contest Results, 5 April 2021

• Larry Chamberlin
    3 years ago

Natural innocence captured the judges this week. The simplicity of a twilight moment offered by Keira, the yearning for youth’s innocent joy by Jessica and the powerful love experienced raw and secretly presented by Luce. Congratulations to each of them and the two honorably mentioned, as well. Thanks to our two judges this week.

Front Page Winners
    Twilight (free verse) by Keira Pickard 7+7= 14 Points
    Sweet Girl by Jessica L. 10 Points
    And Thus, I Write At Night by Everlasting (10 points)

Honorable Mentions
    Dawn by Daniel (4 points)
    Hell hath no fury (Rondeau) by Michael 4 Points

Twilight (free verse) by Keira Pickard 7 Points
    Free verse at its finest. This young poet shows us all that by describing a perfect moment in the perfect way can elevate a daily event into pure art. The imagery is quite simply, sublime, and like all great art these 4 verses require a seat to observe and absorb their magnitude. And only when a gallery staff member coughs and makes a polite comment about closing time do you stand and say a sad “Farewell”

Twilight (free verse) by Keira Pickard (7 points)
    Keira has pure talent within her and I am captivated, this free verse poem
    is truly magical, with the nature setting of night, twilight, and the visual display
    is elegant!

Sweet Girl by Jessica L. 10 Points
    I like a poem that leads with a question, especially when it becomes a refrain. This retrospective poem of a ‘sweet girl’ shares with us a time when she felt free to dance and her innocence was laced with confidence. A poem like this reminds us all of how special childhood can be, allowing a young mind to learn about the world through curiosity and excitement. Sadly, this world is as dark as it is light, and this girl learns about this in an awful way. Her innocence along with that excitement was drowned, and, suddenly, her world shrank. The final question, sadly, says it all.

And Thus, I Write At Night by Everlasting (10 points)
    This personal and very powerful poem by Everlasting is truly a gem and just lovely.
    She captured the true essence and emotion from the dark night writing-
    It’s a time when secrets try to come out and leak onto paper-
    Taking those memories to the grave is something I feel all writers do at some point.
    This is just a beautiful poem!

Dawn by Daniel (4 points)
    Daniel said it all for me in this heartbreaking poem- The heartbreaking loss
    and the beauty of the loved one will outshine all the darkness within today's current
    situation, just a touching poem indeed.

Hell hath no fury (Rondeau) by Michael 4 Points
    The Rondeau is perhaps the most musical of forms. When written well, its tetrameter lines, that’s 8 syllables/ 4 beats to you and me, sing. Add to this the verses or 5, 4 and 6 and you have a Rondeau. Michael uses these melodic verses to drum a powerful nature message and, I too, share his sentiment of fearing the worse. Humans are capable of wonderful achievements, but will they/we do what is necessary to save the planet from the destruction that is, us?

• Ben Pickard
    3 years ago

Well done to all three winners, but especially to one in particular:)
    Thank you judges for your continued time and Larry for hosting.

• Keira Pickard
    3 years ago

Congratulations to winners and HMs! Thank you to the judges for their time and Larry for hosting. Also, thank you to the judges for the lovely comments on my poem!

• Star
    3 years ago

Really good poetry congrats winners and HMs :)

Thank you for your time judges and Larry!

• Michael
    3 years ago

Hi all,
    Thank to Larry for hosting.

Congratulations to all the front page poets and HMs, great pieces.:)
    Thank you to the judge for their vote and comment, much appreciated.
    And of course the judges, thank you.

M x

• Everlasting
    3 years ago

Thank you!

• Brenda
    3 years ago

Congratulations to all you amazing writers! Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful....thank you to our judges for your time and comments. Larry, thank you for hosting-write on my fellow poets, write on!

• Meena Krish replied to Larry Chamberlin
    3 years ago

Congrats to the Winners, thank you judges for your time and thank you for hosting Larry!

• Mr. Darcy
    3 years ago

Thank you, Larry for hosting and thanks, too for our judges. Congratulations to our winners and those who were awarded a HM. :)