Weekly Contest Winners - April 26, 2021!

• PnQ Mod Account
    2 years ago

Hello, hope all of you are doing well! This week, we have the work of Ddavidd, Noura and Jenni highlighted. First, Ddavidd writes a short but vivid piece that blooms on the page in "Ooze". Second, Noura writes heartfelt verses in "Stone", dealing with the parts of ourselves we lose, when the past seems to overwhelm us, yet we have someone that stays with us through it all. And last but not least, the site broke a tie, and Jenni simply and earnestly speaks of her lasting love in "365", a love that persevered and will continue to endure each and every day.

Many thanks to our two judges, and congrats to all!

- MA

WINNERS:

"Ooze" by: BOB GALLO

"I adore the beauty of these lines and the repetition was very pretty and flowed nicely. The title fits well with the poem and stands out. It's romantic and elegant!" (10)

"Stone" by: nourayasmine

"This poem gave me hope… increasingly our society appears obsessed with perfection. It demands that we should seek this or, at least, change/improve what we have or who we are to achieve this. What if you are not perfect? What if you have lived a life where experience reminds you everyone puts you down, or will promise you the moon then, like all the rest, walk away? I imagine such a person would struggle, or if not find it impossible, to trust and so would build walls to protect themselves. This poem coveys this tale, but with an injection of hope. In this tale there is a man who is not like the others, he can see what lies behind the stone wall, for he is resilient too, he is also made of stone and will allow you the time to heal and be your true self. I hope this tale is born of truth! The last line brought a lump to my throat: “Most leave, as he hugs you tighter” (10)

"365" by: Jenni

"This is just a pretty, pretty poem. I do love the simplicity and elegance within this entire piece. The visual display of a writer lost in thought, very peaceful." (7)

HM's:

"Wildflowers" by: cassie hughes

"Wild meadows are vitally important, they are vital sources of habitats for many of our pollinators. Reading Cassie’s poem was like taking a leisurely walk through one. I have often enjoyed walking through one, allowing the long grass to gently pass through my grip, feeling nature tickle my skin. I would take in the array of aromas and drink in the beauty - I would notice many of the wonders that have been depicted: cowslip, primrose, butterflies and bees. As Cassie says, “Their beauty lies around us everywhere, And weaves a story timeless in its growth, Unfolding words unspoken all can share…” Let us all remember that nature will grow if we leave it do what it does best!" (7)

"Coffee (Syntuit)(NaPoWriMo day 20)" by: Star

"I really love this metaphoric poem, with its double message. To think of losing someone is utter darkness and yet if you are a coffee drinker, not having coffee in the morning is devastating! Really love this poem, well written." (4)

"I Don't Like The Dark (tricube)" by: Keira Pickard

"I don’t believe I had come across the ‘Tricube’ form before. I am glad the poet left a description, otherwise I may have assumed the ‘cube’ part meant 4 x 4 – silly me! The title, including its form pulled me in to read it. The tricube is simply 3 x 3 syllabic lined stanzas, each one should be a complete sentence. I do appreciate how this was made clear with the periods – although, this said, the inclusion of capitals could have achieved this. I like the metaphors as the phobia about the dark unfurls to a truth that we are not master of our dreams." (4)

• Brenda
    2 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! Stellar writing all around! Thank you to our judges for your time and making the difficult choices. Thank you Mary Anne for hosting. Happy writing everyone!

• Keira Pickard replied to PnQ Mod Account
    2 years ago

Congratulations to the winners and HMs! Thank you so much for my HM, the lovely comment on my poem, MA for hosting and to the judges for their time.

• BOB GALLO
    2 years ago, updated 2 years ago

Thank you judge, thanks M.A.
    Also thanks to Maher, Colm, for this one and Everlasting who nominated me and all those who read and support others works.

• cassie hughes
    2 years ago

Congratulations to the winners and many thanks for the HM. :D

• Star
    2 years ago, updated 2 years ago

OMG I just realized I’ve got an HM, thank you so much judge for the comment and Ben for nominating my poem :)

Congrats to the winners and HMs!