Weekly Contest Winners - May 24, 2021!

• PnQ Mod Account
    2 years ago, updated 2 years ago

Happy Monday! This week, we had three wonderful judges present to read and comment, and I thank them for their time. All three judges were in agreement with Keira's vivid and hopeful English Sonnet in "Light After The Dark". One can't help but smile reading it! Next, two judges voted for Star's "Maybe Our Balance is the Horizon", a piece filled with depth on not only balancing others out, but finding unity and peace where we are, whether rooted to the earth or with our head in the clouds. And lastly, the site broke the tie between "Pickled Tink" by Jemia and "Mr. Darcy" by Everlasting. Jemia writes with imagination and humor in this fun tongue twister!

Many thanks to the judges again, and congrats to all!

~ MA

WINNERS:

"Light After The Dark (English Sonnet)" by: Keira Pickard

"A nature sonnet written with elegance and beauty. Each stanza is rich and flows with the correct bounce needed for a good, solid sonnet. I'm in love with this poem!" (10)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Did William Shakespeare write at such an age?
    Did words swim through his mind just like a harp?
    A sonnet written by a lady sage
    Shows promise of more music, of more class." (7)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"This young lady has done herself proud with this most difficult of forms. Acknowledging a little help with the meter in her footnotes takes nothing away from this. We all need a little help to get going, especially with formed poetry, and if she carries on writing like this, perhaps she will be the one handing out the lessons!" (4)

"Maybe Our Balance is the Horizon" by: Star

"Elegant, breathtaking and stunning!!" (7)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Star has written a beauty this week - truly. Succinct and perfectly poised, this just melts in your mouth when you read it aloud. As to the actual content, everything needs a balance to maintain a calm equilibrium - especially relationships. Well done on this." (7)

"Pickled Tink" by: Jemia de Blondeville

"This lady posts almost daily and has quietly become a welcome addition to the site with her warm, often humorous and always imaginative poetry. This little tongue-twister is no exception - I just wish she would try her hand at some darn alliteration." (10)

HM's:

"Mr. Darcy" by: Everlasting

"You don’t see many Sestinas written on this site, and for good reason, for they are a super complex French Verse: “a poem with six stanzas of six lines and a final triplet, all stanzas having the same six words at the line ends in six different sequences.” It is fair to say they are not for the feint hearted. Will I see many more posted, I doubt it! So, this said, how could I not dip my quill and award top marks - for they have not just written using such a form, but they’ve also paid tribute to man close to my heart." (10)

"Sleeping Dragons" by: Jordan

"I loved the format and the metaphors used; they really brought the subject to life.
    There is much hatred in the world and I for one wish there was not. Often with difference come mistrust and then blame. If unchecked this blame serves as an ignition, and like the dragons, becomes flames of war. This poem is written with intelligence and insight. It tells us that those who blame, if they are honest, are to blame, too! It is hard hitting but does this in a way that makes you lay awake wishing both lovers agree that it is best to let sleeping dragons be." (7)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Oh I really adored this poem, with its mystical flavor creative and just wonderful!!" (4)

• Everlasting

Hey MA,

I’m confused. Jordan has 11 points. The judges gave a 7 and a 4. So, there was no need for the site to break a tie, right?

Oh there’s four (7’s). I am guessing then Jordan got a 4 instead of a (7?). Typo?

——

Anyways, congrats winners.

And thank you for the comment.

“ is fair to say they are not for the feint hearted. Will I see many more posted, I doubt it!” By judge.

^ Is that a challenge? Lol

• Ben Pickard
    2 years ago

I hate seeing sonnets win...

Well done, all, and many thanks to the judges.

• Keira Pickard replied to PnQ Mod Account

^^ I cracked a rib, Dad.
    Congratulations, everyone! Thank you MA for hosting, the judges for their time and the wonderful comments/votes on my poem, Well done everyone:)

• Mr. Darcy
    2 years ago

Thank you, MA for hosting. Another wonderful week of poetry! Congratulations to our winners, a real ladies week from different decades. It just shows you that poetry is for all ages.
    Well done to those with an HM, too! As for me not making the front page, I guess, I can live with that. Col

• Star replied to Mr. Darcy
    2 years ago

Good words Mr Darcy, poetry really is for all ages :)

Congrats winners and HMs!! Didnt see this coming, thank you judges for your votes ^_^

Also thank you for your time MA and judges!!!

• The Parrott King Jordan R. Stephens replied to PnQ Mod Account

Thanks so much for the HM!

I’ve been writing poetry for quite some time but it’s been a while since I showed it off. This is wonderful.

Congratulations to the winners!

• Meena Krish
    2 years ago

Congrats Winners and HM's.
    Thank you judges for your time and effort
    and thank you for hosting MA!

• Em
    2 years ago

Congratulations all
    Thanks mods and judges