OF or To

• Everlasting
    2 years ago

Okay. Since a long time ago, I found out that words are too important and that a single word can change meaning. So in the words of Quintilla, “ We should not write so that it is possible for the reader to understand us, but so that it is impossible for him to misunderstand us.”

Now, it is a challenge to write with the objective to not be misunderstood. It requires a lot of thought but also great knowledge of grammar rules, and other “things” (for a lack of not knowing what else. If you know what else, let me know).

Anyways, here is an example:

-Do you have the decency OF replying?

-Do you have the decency TO reply?

If anyone ask you the above, would you be offended? Why or why not? Do those two questions have the same meaning or not?

Note: this thread can go anywhere. It doesn’t need to stick to “To” or “Of”. Just be respectful and have fun. Actually, any of the threads I open can go anywhere. I don’t mind. Also, I may take time to reply but any one can join and even take ownership of the thread. :P
    It’s okay.

• Larry Chamberlin replied to Everlasting
    2 years ago

Between the two choices, I'd prefer "to reply." The meaning, to me, is the same, but the emphasis is on the listener here. It seems more personal, direct, than "of replying." The gerundive, in my mind, is more abstract.

• D. replied to Everlasting
    2 years ago

‘Do you have the decency of replying?’

Doesn’t really make sense with a gerund. Decency ‘of’ would only be used as a plural (pretty uncommonly) to ask if someone had the expected behaviours necessary for a specific subject. Examples

‘This city is without the common decencies of life’ / ‘please observe the decencies of this funeral’

Decency is mostly always followed by to+infinitive verb. ‘Please have the decency to respond to my email/he had the decency to apologise’

• Everlasting replied to D.
    2 years ago

~Larry, okay. It’s good to know it has the same meaning for you.

~Daniel.

“Doesn’t really make sense with a gerund.”

Would you consider the question to be grammatically incorrect? How about if I add more to it.

Do you have the decency of replying to my text?

• BOB GALLO
    2 years ago, updated 2 years ago

Very insightful thread, I learned a thing or two from all the parties involved.

I know this subject do not have too many layers and will not go very far but you've found a good spot, way to go Luce!! Keep them coming.

• Everlasting replied to BOB GALLO
    2 years ago

Thanks BOB Gallo

Does anyone have any examples where one single word changes meaning?