Little Things

• nouriguess
    2 years ago

“No good deed ever goes wasted.”

What small good deed have you done recently?

• silvershoes replied to nouriguess
    2 years ago, updated 2 years ago

Few little things off the top of my head from the last 2 weeks:

Spent 20 or so hours helping a friend with her physician assistant (PA) school applications.

Watered my neighbor’s front and back yards while they were on a camping trip.

Cancelled dinner plans so that I could be there for a friend who was having an emotional breakdown.

Called music venues on behalf of my brother-in-law who’s going on tour with his band early next month.

Offered to arrive at a campsite 3 hours early to hold a reservation for a friend’s engagement party.

Gave my neighbor a dozen eggs from our chickens.

Reached out to a friend I hadn’t seen in over a year to tell him how wonderful I think he is (and we hung out a few days later).

Offered to help a friend pay for emergency vet bills for her cat.

This is one of those prompts where one memory leads to another leads to another, so I’ll quit while I’m ahead. Thanks for this thread. I know some will feel that it is arrogant or tooting one’s own horn to share what good deeds they’ve done lately. As encouragement, I would like everyone to know that sharing the good you have done inspires others to do good. That’s not just a sweet sentiment. There are plenty of evidence-based studies to back up my statement. Share your good deeds and more good deeds are bound to follow!

• Poet on the Piano replied to nouriguess
    2 years ago

Great post! I feel like this is encouragement that even if it's not something tangible you do or give to someone, letting someone know you at least thought of them can make a difference. Or sharing a memory even.

Recently, I helped with outdoor yard work and made a handmade card for someone.

Oh, and if it counts, not that my dog needed it since he has a million blankets everywhere, but I found a small fluffy bed on sale (they can be quite pricey) and he's been leaning on it or resting his head casually. So yeah lol

On the receiving end of things, my mom will randomly buy my favorite cereal or buy a new dog toy, which as my dog is older he doesn't play much, but it's still exciting for him for a few minutes at least :D

• Em replied to Poet on the Piano
    2 years ago

Love this post.

So my friend and her children were in self isolation as her daughter got covid so I went round with some treat for them all and printed off the childrens work to and some colouring and maths sheets for them to do for fun

I also, treated my mum and brother to lunch out just because

• Star
    2 years ago

Really nice thread :)

How about I mention something a bit different. I’ve been putting water outside for stray cats and birds, it gets too hot and it’s hard to find water.

• nouriguess replied to silvershoes
    2 years ago, updated 2 years ago

Jane, please add these to your list:
    - Recommended a wonderful series to Noura, and she’s been laying on her couch, eating junk food and watching it for a week now.
    - Taught Noura so much about equity and feminism.
    - Have always been a great friend to Noura (and most likely every person I know).

MarryAnne, I love how you tend to and spoil Baxter. I love that you would choose to buy him toys and treats while you could spend that money on yourself. I do the same for my Baxter. The few minutes of party whenever I give him a new chew toy are worth every penny I have.

Em, wow, you’re brave and generous for doing that. I bet she was in need of such a selfless act of kindness. Your friend is lucky to have you by her side.

Star, I have two balconies in my apartment. I always put bread crumbs, water, rice, peas for the birds all over the balconies, and watch birds gather around the house. They look heavenly. One of them has now a habit of knocking at my window every morning demanding his breakfast. :) Being good to animals (especially strays) feels rewarding.

Apart from encouraging others to do the same, I find that remembering and acknowledging the good deeds I do gives me comfort and a feeling of self-worth, and this really great feeling not only motivates me to do more good, but also reminds me that I am valuable. It’s not arrogant to be in need of self-appreciation.

• abracadabra
    2 years ago

I only do good deeds when I’m depressed or excited by conflict.

Every time my city is in lockdown (we’re in our fifth now), I find myself building community libraries, mailing surprise gifts, calling my parents. I literally walked some homemade chicken soup to my sick neighbour tonight. I normally don’t even cook anymore. So something’s up.