Sexism - Definition

• Everlasting
    2 years ago

I think what makes sexism so hard to identify is that we don’t have a clear definition for it.

Some think sexism just applies to women. Others think that it applies to both men and women.

I realized that in the “Sexism” thread is hard to expand on sexism while still adhering to a phrase or stereotype.

So Mods, is there any way that you can change the name of that “Sexism” title thread to “Sexism - phrases” instead?

In this “Sexism - Definition” thread we can discuss whether sexism is just against women or to both. That means that there’s more room to expand on sexism without being constrained to a phrase or stereotype.
    The goal of this thread is to at least try to agree or come up with a definition for sexism.

I will also open another thread to explore and learn about feminism. May be later on, I’ll open more threads to focused on other aspects.

Thank you so much for being so patient with me and participating.

• Larry Chamberlin
    2 years ago

Sorry, we cannot change even our own thread titles.

However, I think just by creating threads you are opening the window to new discussions. I like what is happening.

• Poet on the Piano replied to Everlasting
    2 years ago, updated 2 years ago

Thanks, Luce, for starting these threads!

I'm not great with definitions, nor have I taken courses that specifically study this and educate on the right language. I think it's important to realize what Abby said in the other sexism thread, that sexism is systemic. And to consider the power dynamics, too. I could maybe make the same generalizations and reinforce negative and false information about men, but I doubt that it would have the degree and impact it would as the reverse. I know you want to stick to one subject, but I'll just say I think the same is crucial when discussing racism, that there can be prejudice sure, hurt feelings, rude remarks, but racism feeds off of power structures too (so reverse racism cannot technically exist).

I agree that it can be hard to define. What I found from Global Citizen: “Any act, gesture, visual representation, spoken or written words, practice, or behaviour based upon the idea that a person or a group of persons is inferior because of their sex, which occurs in the public or private sphere, whether online or offline. Acts of everyday sexism are part of a continuum of violence that create a climate of intimidation, fear, discrimination, exclusion, and insecurity which limits opportunities and freedom.”

I feel like there may be very open-ended definitions that say anyone who is affected by prejudice based on their sex, and anyone who experiences harmful behaviors due to it. It branches into internalized sexism, institutional where laws and policies contribute to this, interpersonal, trying to correlate someone's worth based on their appearance or what role is suspected they should have in society and in the family.... there's so much to go into.

But that's why what Abby said kind of made me reflect. Because it gives us perhaps a greater understanding and better perspective from which to see sexism as, how it's been in place and the power and privilege dynamics at work.

• Everlasting replied to Poet on the Piano
    2 years ago

I was looking for definitions too and I came across the global Citizen definition. I think is the same one you shared but I’ll share it again:

And here it is! Sexism is defined as: “Any act, gesture, visual representation, spoken or written words, practice, or behaviour based upon the idea that a person or a group of persons is inferior because of their sex, which occurs in the public or private sphere, whether online or offline.”

I found it in this article:

https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/sexism-definition-council-of-europe-equality/

I can’t say I agree or disagree that sexism is systematic. I honestly don’t understand what it’s trying to say. Could you elaborate? What does systematic mean?

I, however, can say that I disagree that sexism just applies to woman. For instance, some single fathers experience sexism. An example I can think of, it’s whenever they have to change their sons/daughters diapers. One, the majority of men’s public restrooms don’t have changing stations because some don’t think that men can take care of a child/change diapers.
    Someone started this on Twitter #squatforchange #dadschangediaperstoo to highlight this issue.

Oh and also the “father’s right movement.”

• Everlasting

https://www.reddit.com/r/LetsNotMeet/comments/ae9pp9/sociopath_kidnapper_in_supermarket_parking_lot

I wish I could copy and paste this story. But I’ll just leave the link. This is about a married couple and not a single father but for me the whole story is scary.

• Poet on the Piano replied to Everlasting
    2 years ago

Hey, Luce! Catching up on the links. Looks like with the Global Citizen one, it talks about the ranges of sexism, and at the bottom, starts to mention the way sexism is enacted and reinforced in laws, but doesn't go into further detail. I'm still learning about all of this, so I'm not the best person to ask, but my continued understanding of "systemic" means when it's something that's reaffirmed by institutions - laws, mandates, schools, workplaces. It doesn't focus on individual encounters, but on the history and current ways sexism works as a system, I believe.

I found this definition from thoughtco.com that seemed to give some clarity:

"Systemic sexism, like systemic racism, is the perpetuation of the oppression and discrimination without necessarily any conscious intention. The disparities between men and women are simply taken as givens and are reinforced by practices, rules, policies, and laws that often seem neutral on the surface but in fact disadvantage women."

I'm not a parent, and can't begin to fathom the judgements parents can receive. I don't know that pain. Nor do I know the firsthand experience of the kinds of rude claims people can have about parents. I would think that that's sexism playing a part in it, reinforcing the idea that a child HAS to have a mother and a father, this idea of a nuclear family as if that is the only way for a child to grow up, or to succeed and be well-balanced. That very dated, "Leave it to Beaver" kind of attitude about "traditional" families is harmful in many ways. The idea of what an ideal family looks like has been used to openly discriminate against LGBTQ+ couples who want to adopt, and I STILL know people and read things where people are actively concerned about a child being raised by two dads or two moms, as if that would affect the child. I am of the strong opinion that it doesn't matter who raises the child - a foster parent, a grandmother, a single dad or mom, whoever.... as long as that child has love and support and resources of some sort, they can thrive. I'm not sure if there's concrete evidence or studies to suggest how much a child may be affected based on single-parent families. I feel like there may be less stigma about children who are raised by a single parent, and I briefly searched it to show there may be more chances of a child having psychological/development issues, but again, I don't know how true that is or how you can measure that exactly. Other than statistics and studies showing the household dynamics and a child's progress through school.... but it could all go back to this idea of a child needing a maternal and paternal role, when, I believe a child has every chance to become everything they want to be no matter if they have both parents or not.

And sexism ties into that idea that mother should be in child-bearing roles, or be the ones to feed and care for the children when I would hope, if they have a partner, that the partner would want just as much to be a part of that. It's gross if people assumed that a father couldn't change a diaper, insinuating that only women can properly care for a child's basic needs. Not to mention the assumption that kids HAVE to have a mother or father, not someone who may not identity as male or female. I feel like sexism is correlated with this obsession with the gender binary too, when non-binary people exist and shouldn't have to feel less accepted or like they need to be silenced. Sexism could have roots in heteronormativity too, which just assumes there are only two genders and nothing else.

Addressing sexism and feminism should include this. I think people have a false perception of what sexism and feminism talk about. At least online, I've seen a few "men's rights" groups be covers for alt-right talk. They actually reinforce male dominance and supremacy instead of addressing how sexism and feminism (in the case of single parents) would talk about this. If that makes sense? I just see some parallels. These are all my random, caffeinated thoughts lol.

Also, that reddit story is terrifying. I can't imagine the sheer horror and fear...

• Anthony

I have a “traditional family,” I work and my wife stays home. We have our “roles” that we play, and it just so happens that it coincides with what “traditional” looks like in the US. That being said, I am not, or at least would not consider myself to be, sexist by any meaning of the word. I do not believe my wife is subservient, or that any woman is less than a man. I have three daughters and I tell them every day that they can do whatever they want to do in their life and their only limitation is the amount of effort they are willing to put in to accomplish their goals.

I would however protest to my wife unilaterally changing the rules. Just as I would never quit my job without first discussing a way forward with her, I wouldn’t want her to to leave my three year old with a stranger in pursuit of a career. But again, she WANTS to stay home with the kids and we’ve discussed when she’d feel comfortable going back to work again. That’s not sexism to me. If my wife had a powerful drive to work I would 100% be ok as a stay at home father. Now it would be sexist to say “you should want to stay at home to raise your child” or “you’re going to raise the children because you’re a woman.” Hell it would be sexist to even assume she would have quit her job.

And while yes, sexism is more often portrayed in the media with women as the victims but men deal with it too. Sexism can be as simple as an assumption. I am a white male in a military profession, who’s wife stays at home and takes care of the household. That sentence alone probably sparks enough assumptions to write an essay. Looking at me and assuming that I can fix something, or build something is no less sexist a sentiment than me looking at a woman and assuming she can cook or sew.

Sexism, like racism, isn’t restricted to actions but is a mindset; and one that is typically learned or inherited. It’s just another of the many forms of prejudice that exists in the world today.

Edit*

I also feel the need to point out the difference between sexism and gender bias (I minored in sociology lol). Sexism is geared towards the sex you were born as and the capabilities assumed. Gender bias is the prejudice that goes hand in hand with the roles that you fill (typically determined by sex).

Sexism Example: men should be strong and women should be better communicators and there are biological reasons to back this up.

Gender Bias Example: Males should provide and Females should nurture. Gender is a social construct that (typically) goes hand in hand with sex.

Man/Woman- sex
    Male/Female- gender
    (At least as of 2010 when I was in school, I’m sure shits changed since then!!!)

• Anthony replied to Everlasting
    2 years ago

Just read the story… I have a CCP so this would have gone very different for me! Still horrifying to think about.