Alternate realities.

• Poet on the Piano
    2 years ago

Jemia's piece on here, "Other Realities", kind of prompted this post. Also, I just re-watched Netflix's "Russian Doll", it being the premise of a time loop and having the main character (Natasha Lyonne) explore the theories of what that means. It's quickly become one of my favorite shows, don't know if anyone here has watched it, or recommends other shows that pertain to this (like the OA that talks about dimensions).

If we're only aware of what we can perceive, then what's in front of us is reality as we know it, though there could be altered realities where we're living out our life, oblivious to the other us existing. Does each decision we make impact the future and hold substantial significance; could there be an inconceivable amount of realities where we took slightly different paths and therefore have vastly different outcomes? What would you think this would look like for you?

I love thinking about all of this, even if it gives me a headache :)

• Colm replied to Poet on the Piano
    2 years ago

You should read the book 'The Midnight Library.' It's on a similar theme of alternate realities.

• Liz
    2 years ago

I like to think there are other alternate realities.

Have you watched Dark on Netflix? It's a good show with similar topics.

• Poet on the Piano
    2 years ago

Colm! I remember you mentioning that in the book thread from a month or so ago. I'll have to get it the next time I order books.

Liz, hi! Yes, I need to watch this soon. It's been added on my list forever, and I've only heard positive things. Thanks for the recommendation!

• BOB GALLO replied to Colm
    2 years ago, updated 2 years ago

'The Midnight Library"
    What is this book about? Could you talk about it briefly? If not, at least tell us why are you sure it is good on this subject?
    We spread knowledge by discussing them, not by throwing titles rapidly in the mix. Nobody would check a book because of the name (maybe few) without any explanation. Also I believe we should use every chance we get to challenge ourselves about what we read and how much of them we've absorbed. The ability to verbalize our reading experiences deposits directly to our grasps of them.
    I used to name books in this site, but I am sure nobody never read them.
    Though these are only in my experiences, so read them with a grain of salt.

Nice to see you around again Colm. Seeing members like you reminds me that once this site was home.

• BOB GALLO replied to Poet on the Piano

O MA. you are the sanity of this site. Always brightening this site with colourful topics, challenges, comments, and tasteful poetries.
    Your generosity to this site is way beyond everyone els. You must be generous in other aspect of your life as well for sure.

From all the subjects that explosively unfolded upon this site recently, subjects such as sexism, feminism, ... which all were alluring for me , this is the one that I could not ignore.
    Even though I am not going to talk about it as this subject deserves, due to the lack of communication and understanding between these two objective realities, but I am going to talk briefly and participate as it attains at least small level of understanding and healthy discussion.
    Another thing is that people often do not like to be challenge in their norm, haha, never mind in their subjective realities.

As Kant said reality is nothing but "synthetic unity of the manifold perception." Carlos Castaneda said : "there is no past, there is no future, there is only what arrives at the mind." Descartes in his "meditations" assumes that the reality could be only some elusion

I can get very technical here , but I won't make this mistake again, because showing off makes you lose the audience.

In the book called "Separate Reality" which Castaneda wrote when He was a student of anthropology in UFC, going to the Sonora desert searching for the magical plants, and ancient medicines, gathering information for his PHD assay, he (Castaneda) came across a shaman "Don Juan Matus" who eventually thought him about the separate realities and the ancient esoteric knowledges of the Toltecs, Aztecs and... He got his phd with this book and the one before (The Teachings of Don Juan) and became a legend, and the Godfather of the New Age" movement. In 60th millions of Hippies travelled to Mexico searching for the legendary don Juan.
    In his book, Carlos describes how Don Juan used Hallucinogens drugs such as Marijuana, mushrooms and peyote..., to expose him to other realities, ( though not because they are necessary for everyone but because Carlos was very traditional, close minded and stubborn to shift by himself. But don Juan banns the use of drug in general, or for long term, because they enslave the users.)
    I can even teach someone, a little, how this reality could shift to the alternative,(the quantum) one. It is quite fascinating. Actually everyone could shift between the realities but it is the most dangerous thing, without discipline and without the guru, (nahual).
    The Schizophrenic patients are the prime example of what could happen to those who become exposed to the alternative realities without having sufficient energy, and the proper guidance (the guru).

I have lots to say about this but I stop for now .

• Poet on the Piano replied to BOB GALLO
    2 years ago

^ Really enjoyed the technical aspects here. There's so much to learn and study, especially philosophy, which I have no background in. I'm not too familiar with Kant and have never heard of Castaneda before, so thanks for mentioning him. Fascinating indeed.

• BOB GALLO replied to Poet on the Piano

:) :)