Equilibrium Or Balance?

• Everlasting
    1 year ago

Which one would you prefer?

• BOB GALLO replied to Everlasting
    1 year ago

What is the difference? They both refer to the same thing as far as I know. Maybe you know something that you want to share with us, for as I told you before::
    " Realities all are the matter of interpretation. Yours has its own merit and uniformity, but first you have to bring others to your dream, then let them see how it works."

• Star
    1 year ago

The way I see it equilibrium is different things acting at the same level that they cancel each other to create equilibrium.
    Balance could be on different levels, but together they're balanced.
    For instance in a relationship, two individuals could have similar personalities/interests/beliefs/etc creating an equilibrium in their relationship, another scenario they could have different personalities/interests/beliefs/etc that complement each other creating a balance.

I could be way off than what Luce meant lol, but thats how I understood it. And Luce if thats the case I never thought of it hehe!!

• BOB GALLO replied to Star
    1 year ago, updated 1 year ago

I can not relate to or understand the difference mentioned above. Maybe it is my bad.
    The only difference coming to my mind now is: If you hang a picture not exactly perpendicular, You can say that the picture is balanced in its position with the wall but it doesn't have equilibrium in that position. Balance is perhaps the outer relative connection , but equilibrium is from within. The differences , if there are any, are subjective, relative, contractual and arbitrary as far as I can see now. Let me think about it more.

Balance refers to "stasis." It is mainly positional and quantitative, but equilibrium is often related to harmony and is qualitative.

• Star replied to BOB GALLO
    1 year ago

To put it simply for an equilibrium you need equal forces, and balance can be obtained by different forces like a smaller and a larger force combined for balance.

Look I'm not sure what Luce meant either, this is what I took from it and what I makes sense to me.

• BOB GALLO replied to Star

That is fine Star. We all are learning here. No one is going to grade our efforts. Only the site is going to thrive because of those efforts.

Thanks for your responds.

• Everlasting
    1 year ago

I don’t know lol

But those words always intrigue me. Sometimes I understand it as different others I think as the same

But I kind of see it like what you both are saying

For instance, if I were to ride a skate board

I could find a balance and manage to stay on the skate board but my balance may be hindered by other forces and I may end up falling. However, if I’m able to stay in equilibrium, I can stay in balance and move freely in the skate board despite whatever obstacle or forces come my way…

Kind like what star said about the opposing forces canceling each other but kind of like in harmony?

I’m not sure what to think of it lol so figure this is the place to look for ideas

To admit that we don't know, is a necessary component of learning, yet is not sufficient. It is also brave.
    I'm sorry Luce i don't see it that way either. I even read internet explanations and found them mostly ineffective.

What about this that I said:
    " Balance refers to "poise" I suppose it is mainly positional and quantitative, but equilibrium is often related to harmony and is qualitative. "

If we agree with the similarity between "equilibrium" and ""harmony" , then we can distinguish the little difference between Balance and Equilibrium, because balance is more different in concept to harmony, than equilibrium by the very virtue of common sense. (ears)
    But believe me these are only the figure of speech, common agreement and consensus in different genres of science, to make some points. The differences are very subjective and minimal in my opinion.
    The funny thing is that everything I said here, if I read it from others, I might have disagreed with them also. So, I am not sure. Star's answer now looks plausible too, to mr.

• Everlasting

" Balance refers to "poise" I suppose it is mainly positional and quantitative, but equilibrium is often related to harmony and is qualitative. "

^
    Hmm… I think I’m linking “poise” to “stability”. May be I’m mixing the meaning of balance, stability, and equilibrium?

When I think of balance, I think “remaining”. For instance, my balance in the bank account. It can be zero but it could also be positive or negative? That’s my balance.

When I think equilibrium, I think balance but the only balance remaining is zero. Kind of like saying… I’m in equilibrium by living pay check to pay check. The amount I spend is proportional to the amount I earn. Whatever I earn, I spend it all. So, like opposing forces canceling each other? But this works in harmony ( by the harmony happened intentionally? ) . (May be bad example but can’t think of anything else).

When I think stability, haha I think I have more money in my bank account.

—-

Can you come up with an example, may be that will help me understand what you are saying with quantitive and qualitative.

—-

Edit:

I’m thinking something along the lines of

All squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares.

Kind of like

Everything in equilibrium is balance but not everything balance is in equilibrium?

• Star replied to Everlasting
    1 year ago

“Everything in equilibrium is balance but not everything balance is in equilibrium?”
    ^
    Thats how I think of it too

Haha syllogism at its best! Now all the problems are solved. You guys are so clever and a little mischievous, it is very delighting.
    I had a friend who resorted to syllogism a lot, specially, in the vague places, that it dialectical twist could impresses the heck out of regular audiences to accept it as the most plausible solution. Haha something so handy you can use it everywhere like duct tape.

But if syllogism is right, I could not say the same thing oppositely. Lets see:
    "Everything in balance is equilibrium but not everything in equilibrium is balance?" (Luce's grammar, not mine.) Yes it doesn't work. You might be on something here,

So, anyway if syllogism works here, you are saying that equilibrium includes balance, not vice versa.
    And you might be right.

It seems equilibrium is like the phrase "Tensegrity" in architecture, which means positioning all the element in a structure the way that they work with least of LACK, OR REDUNDANCY, without waste and with outmost sufficiency. They say In spiritual world: the excess energy is as hazardous as the shortage of it. This is the equilibrium, the unity of all the component in harmonized manner. In this sense lol your syllogism comes handy Luce.

• BOB GALLO

About the qualitative and quantitative, question.
    I supposed the balance deals mostly with quantity and numbers such as weight, extension, volume.... and equilibrium refers to the quality of being harmonized. But it doesn't work that much, because quality and quantity are so interconnected. It is almost like the sophisticated way of saying nothing. (way to go BOB)

• Everlasting replied to BOB GALLO
    1 year ago

Ah so we arrived at an agreement on what equilibrium and balance are?

Then which do you prefer?

I think we did, according to me. I extracted your thought and Star's and a little of mine and came with a semi conclusion which seems decent. Yet still could be inaccurate. That semi conclusion a tiny bit redeemed the previous ideas about the quantitative and qualitative properties of these two with a little degree of discrepancy. So thanks to you and Star pulling me along.

" Then which do you prefer?"
    I answer you with another question: Who is stronger, a rhinoceros or a hippo?
    To be truthful, this is like asking: Do you like trees or wood? or even Potato or Potahto? Tomato or Tomahto? Comparison is often personal indulgence rather than a thorough investigation. Specially if according to you, one loves understanding, so, one can have feelings, but one must put personal emotions aside. Personal, has very tiny space in true studies.
    But I still answer because I am a cuckoo too ( you could ask "Nurse Ratched" s everywhere.) and proud of it.
    The answer is both, I can't live without any of them. for haha I Love polygamy of ideas.

If you like I could write and reorganize our solution and post it later in my good time.

Thank you talented girls
    all the best