Heavy Metals

• Everlasting
    1 year ago

LEAD

Abstract

The refining of silver from old silver ornaments, articles and jeweller's waste by smelting these with lead scraps for the fabrication of new jewellery is an important small scale industry in India. The present survey and clinical investigations have shown that 31 out of 50 silver refiners with a mean blood lead level of 32.84+/-1.78 microg/dl (range 20.3-64.9), decrease in blood delta-aminolevulinic acid dehydratase (ALAD) activity and thiamine (as pyruvate) level and an enhanced urinary excretion of ALA as compared to control, were suffering from lead poisoning. Most of these workers have shown anaemia, abdominal colic, blue lining of gum and muscular wasting indicative of lead toxicity. Twenty-four workers with relatively high blood lead levels were equally divided into two groups and given either vitamin B1 (75 mg, once a day) or vitamin C (250 mg. twice a day) for 1 month. The treatment with both the vitamins significantly lowered the blood lead levels and reduced blood thiamine and copper deficiency. In addition, vitamin C was also effective in reversing the inhibition of blood ALAD activity while the effect of vitamin B1 on its activity was marginal. The daily intake of vitamin B1 and vitamin C may prevent the accumulation of lead and reduce its toxic effects particularly in those regularly exposed to lead

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11778950/

Thiamine, zinc or their combination given through gastric gavage were investigated for their ability to prevent or treat experimental lead toxicity in rats. Simultaneous dietary supplementation with thiamine plus zinc was found to be the most effective way of reducing the lead-induced inhibition of delta-aminolevulinic acid dehydratase activity in blood, urinary, excretion of delta-aminolevulinic acid and accumulation of lead in blood, liver and kidney. Prevention was more effective than post-lead exposure treatment which may be due mainly to the decrease in the absorption of lead in the gastro-intestinal tract in the presence of thiamine and/or zinc.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2707476/

——-

ARSENIC

Abstract

The efficacies of two nutritional factors, folic acid and vitamin B12, were assessed in this study against arsenic-induced islet cellular toxicity. Rats were divided into four groups consisting of five rats in each group: Group A, control; Group B, arsenic-treated; Group C, arsenic+folic acid; and Group D, arsenic+folic acid+vitamin B12. The dose of arsenic, folic acid and vitamin B12, respectively, was 3 mg, 36 microg and 0.63 microg kg(-1) body weight day(-1) for 30 days. Results showed that, compared to control group, there was a significant increase in the levels of nitric oxide (NO), malondialdehyde (MDA) and hydroxyl radical (OH-) formation in the pancreatic tissue of arsenic-treated rats, while the activity of antioxidant enzymes, superoxide dismutase (SOD) and catalase (CAT), and cellular content of antioxidant glutathione (GSH) were low in these animals. The serum level of tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha) and IL-6 was significantly high in these animals. Light microscopic examination showed a marked fall in the number of islet cells. Concomitant administration of either folic acid or folic acid and vitamin B12 with arsenic significantly restored all these parameters. Although folic acid alone could not restore the normal level of TNF-alpha and IL-6, combined folic acid and vitamin B12 could restore it. Folic acid and vitamin B12 combined also could recover islet cell count. These results suggest that folic acid+vitamin B12 are capable of reducing arsenic-induced cellular oxidative and inflammatory toxic changes. Thus, supplement with vitamin B12+folic acid may be predicted as a possible nutritional management strategy against arsenic-induced toxicity.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16214333/

• BOB GALLO replied to Everlasting
    1 year ago, updated 1 year ago

I am not too much into Heavy Metal. What about a soft Classic vitamins and minerals?? :) :)

• Larry Chamberlin replied to BOB GALLO
    1 year ago

I enjoy some heavy metal: Metallica, Weezer, Blue Oyster Cult & Black Sabbath.

• BOB GALLO replied to Larry Chamberlin
    1 year ago, updated 1 year ago

" Metallica, Weezer, Blue Oyster Cult & Black Sabbath."
    Haha Luce, There are more healing in Larry's two sentences than those two pages.

• Everlasting replied to Larry Chamberlin
    1 year ago

Haha

Oh my

Haha

• Everlasting replied to BOB GALLO
    1 year ago

i Uhmm… I … Uhmm … I am speechless

• BOB GALLO replied to Everlasting
    1 year ago

Why speechless? You know we are joking, don't you?

• Everlasting replied to BOB GALLO
    1 year ago

Exactly, it took me by surprised. So I have no words. And honestly, the only thing that comes to mind is a contest.