Does poetry have literacy limits?

• Star
    7 months ago

Just a little something to get the place a little bit of life.

I am not good in literacy discussions, but I have this question in your opinion does poetry have limits through a language perspective (Emglish)? And/Or are you afraid of crossing the norm when it comes to poetry. I’m not even sure if this is the right way to ask.

For me personally, as someone whose English is not my native language I realized I come up with phrases or combination of words that doesnt really sound or sit right, but I go for it anyways. I think that gives me more of a freedom to experiment with words. And I’m someone who’s been properly learning English since I was a child. But I was once told off by a language professor, that I have to stick to the rules of poetry when I write.

So whats your opinion, I know we all come from different places around the world, with different languages and cultures. Does poetry have limits?

• Maher replied to Star
    7 months ago, updated 7 months ago

Good question and I personally think it's subjective. There are opinions on either end of the spectrum: those who stick to the etiquettes of poetry in a die-hard kind of way and those who see poetry as a means of release or simply something enjoyable, who either aren't aware of the rules or simply want to be free of them. Then there's the normal people in between who have the best of both worlds lol.

If you take the Arabs for example, the ones who study classical/formal Arabic, they are more often than not very strict on the etiquettes of poetry. It's something that they take immense pride in, so the rules can sometimes be bent a little, but not broken. I have friends who studied classical Arabic, some who have gone abroad just for it who aren't even Arab but just love the language and they pretty much unanimously agree that the rules are very seldom messed with. They described the people as almost taking offense to intentionally breaking the rules. Culture definitely plays a role and you'll probably find a similar sort of pride in all ancient languages.

In my view I think that sticking to the rules too strictly makes the poetry bland as you're focusing too much on following them rather than telling your story, unless you're incredibly good at it and have a firm understanding of whatever language you're writing in. I also think that having no rules at all when writing has no substance. If there is no presence of any etiquette/rules at all, then where is the line that stops it from being just a paragraph? The writer may have intended it to be a poem, but the reality is that if a random person read it, they likely wouldn't know it was one. I personally like to be able to identify that what I'm reading is a poem, and poems are identified by the trademark things that make them so, the most common thing being rhyme.

It's because of this that I think that following at least some rules is necessary. You can still be incredibly creative while using the rules as a guide by throwing in an interesting rhyme scheme, or maybe some alliteration or even some structural gems for people to dig up as they read. Especially things that are only noticeable after reading the text a few times over.

The middle path is where I think it's at :)

• Larry Chamberlin replied to Maher
    7 months ago

On the one hand if you learn the rules you are free to break them in your own creative manner, such as with James Joyce or e.e. cummings.

Yet, poetry, like graphic art has its share of primitive poets who have only their own oral understanding of the rules of grammar. One genre of this type is the Ghetto Poems of North America. Often Ghetto poems evoke stark emotion not found in formal poetry.

My personal standard is to follow an internal consistency, building to a straightforward conclusion but then veer away to unfamiliar territory.

• Everlasting
    7 months ago

Nah, poetry does not have limits
    It’s similar to mathematics
    where new techniques are born within minutes
    to build foundations for fresh tactics
    I mean just think about it for a bit
    as long as there’s a problem to be solved
    the mathematics somehow will outwit
    its limitations and it will evolve
    That is how Poetry is my dear friend
    That is that if there is a problem at all
    emotions rapidly surge with no end
    Until these emotions answer the call

however way emotions manifest
    however way emotions will be addressed

• Poet on the Piano
    7 months ago

I am greatly enjoying reading these replies! I have nothing much to add other than my first thought with this question posed was no, poetry doesn't have limits. I think there are definitely instances of someone using or creating a unique phrase, maybe uncommon, but one that speaks to them and still evokes emotion. Poetry is something that breaks barriers, and I like to think as long as it is sincere, as long as it is authentic to that individual, it will always have a place and doesn't need to be critiqued by technicalities neccesarily.

(Star, thanks for creating this thread!)

• Star replied to Maher
    6 months ago

Im an Arab and honestly, I have no courage to try writing poetry in Arabic, and hence why I was curious on the thoughts of those who have English as their native language. The rules are taken sooo seriously, studying Arabic at school was harder than English. Start with something simple grammar in Arabic is way harder, and it has to be right in poetry, alwayss. Theres something similar to meters in Arabic poetry as well, but I in my opinion is 10x harder. Not everyone can write poetry, so normally those who do have so much knowledge in language, vucab, grammar, rules, etc. Arabic also has many dialects, in each dialect different accents. They write following the rules with those different dialects and accents, which make some poetry even hard for me to understand. I can go on lol, but I’ll stop here.

And thats a good point you’re touching, poetry needs the right balance you’re saying. Makes sense!

• Star replied to Larry Chamberlin
    6 months ago

“My personal standard is to follow an internal consistency, building to a straightforward conclusion but then veer away to unfamiliar territory.”

Love how you worded this. There’s this charm in veering to that unfamiliar territory , and you just enjoy looking at where you go with it.

Since I barely follow any rules when I write, for so long I honestly couldn't say I write poetry, I still dont to people around me. What I always say whenever anyone asks me do I write, my answer would be I do enjoy creative writing

• Star replied to Everlasting
    6 months ago

Whyy cant I pin this at the top of this thread?
    I LOOOVE it!!!!! Im not even joking
    Screams Luce to me lol

• Star replied to Poet on the Piano
    6 months ago

“one that speaks to them and still evokes emotion”
    ^
    That is the universal language of poetry. I like this.

It is very interesting reading all these opinions, from poetry needing its balance, to steering to an unfamiliar territory, then having no limitations like mathematics, and then ending it with sincerity and emotions.

• Maher replied to Star
    6 months ago

Absolutely agree with you. Arabic is my second language (Syrian descent but born in Australia) so I'm not fluent in it at all. I can read it, write it to a degree and understand enough to get by in basic conversation if it's not formal Arabic, but that's about it. I hear their poetry sometimes and it sounds beautiful, but I barely understand it. Mum was watching something on TV once where a poet broke down what she'd written and how she composed it and what grammatical techniques she used...it was way over my head. Even my English poetry is lacking quite a bit lol so I wouldn't even dream of attempting anything in Arabic.

I do read what you write from time to time and I enjoy them. My favourite one was "Do the Clouds that Pass Through the Horizon Comfort You?". Something about that one really hit home at the time.

• Star replied to Maher
    6 months ago

Believe me not even someone who practices the language daily can. There is free verse in Arabic, not really popular though.

And thank you so much!! Good to see that such a simple poem is remembered.