What Do You Consider To Be The Most Important Thing on Poetry?

• Dorotea©
    18 years ago

Well, first of all the flow is really important. That's what draws me into the poem and makes me want to read it. Sometimes when the flow is really good but the meaning is only mediocre, I'll still read it 'cause the flow was so good. The spelling and grammar are also important, because they reflect on the writer. As for the rhyming, it's not important at all if the writer doesn't rhyme. A poem that doesn't rhyme can be just as good as one that does. Rhyming is, quite often, used to help keep the poem in track. It can be used as a crutch to lean on.

• Sean
    18 years ago

Flow and imagery.

I expect all poetry to uphold good grammar and spelling..

• blackrose1011
    18 years ago

i compleatly agree!

• AGirlWorthFightingFor
    18 years ago

Originality is what I look for first, flow is equally important, as well as meaning and imagery, but the latter two are subjective.

Rhyming isn't necessary but sometimes helpful. If you can create flow without rhyming, you are a god among men.

Good spelling is absolutely necessary, I don't give a damn about grammar, as long as you learn to spell correctly. Unless there's a pun involved. Then slight spelling deviations are allowed. I can never resist a good pun.

• Natalie84
    18 years ago

Of course spelling, grammAr (Ismail) are essential but the most imortant thing about poetry (I THINK) is that you love it. You can't write or appreciate poetry if you don't love it.

• Mel
    18 years ago

Words

• natalie
    18 years ago

Giving yourself to it, without holding back. If your words are true they will be good enough

• †JustAri†
    18 years ago

Hmm.....occasionally FLOW. Rhyming isn't all that because there are great poems that don't have a single rhyme. Spelling is definitely important because of homophones (words that sound the same but are spelled differently) and someone might not understand what you have written. Grammar is important as well, the punctuation and all will project your feelings drawn into words. Meaning has to be the MOST important because without it, (for me anyway) I wouldn't have anything to relate to. Creativity is also a major plus. That's just me.

Peace.

• ღ.:Krissy:.ღ
    18 years ago

The flow is really important in a poem. It makes the reader keep on reading and attracts them to the poem. The flow makes it so your poem isn't so choppy and broken up. Spelling and grammar is important, too. It reflects some of the poet. Not all people like to read poems with bad spelling and grammar. Meaning has a part but I wouldn't say it's the biggest part. I like to read poems with a lot of meaning and feeling. But them there are the funny poems that don't have much. I don't think rhyming is very important. A poem just as good without a rhyme. Rhyming is important though if you are writing a rhyming poem. You want to make sure you have the rhyme scheme going. Okay, I think I'm done now :-p

~Krissy

• Amanda Bee
    18 years ago

The first thing I look for is originality and creativity. I love reading something different and unlike anything else I've read before. I always take spelling and grammar in consideration as well. And I love when I read a poem that has a surprise at the end or leaves me thinking when I'm finished.

• Sing me another sad song
    18 years ago

flow, and emotion

• ♥•oOo Nikki oOo•♥©
    18 years ago

Flow, Meaning, Creativity, Origionality, Imagery, Grammar (Not a Big Grammar Person, But It Would Be Great If I Could Understand a Poem Without Figuring Out New Internet Talk) xoxo-Nikki-xoxo