Intelligent Chat - Legalization of all drugs

• Lyla
    18 years ago

Not all drugs! That would be chaos!!! Crystal meth would be avaliable for children!!! Alcohol is legalized so i think anything less dangerous than that should be legalized.....like Marijuana

• Lyla
    18 years ago

You cant buy alochol if your under 18 but people under than 18 always get alochol. As long as drugs legalized it will be quite easy for children to get it

• Michael D Nalley
    18 years ago

Drugs are for sick people, but many drugs are used today for recreation. Unfortunately many recreational users become sick. I was listening to a man last week who said he was a member of a group of experimenters who jokingly referred to themselves as the dirty dozen. He said when they were young if you had it they would try it. He said he was one of the two from that group who survived. He is working at a methadone clinic. Education is very important. There are many who look upon the legalizing of drugs as a stamp of approval by the government

• Michael D Nalley
    18 years ago

'I'm sure Michael, that if you were to ever go to college that you would learn stuff a little more educated than just your own opinion.'

Your point is well taken J.P.M if I had gone to college perhaps I would have a standard opinion that would satisfy you. I also agree that some of the current manufacturers of drugs do not have a degree in chemistry. I personally think that the government has considered that controlling the quality and quantity of drugs would increase the survival rate of drug abusers. If Elvis had gone to college maybe he would have lived longer. But then again you can’t believe everything you read. I have no objection to the legalization of any safe drug. Simply if all drugs were as legal as the drug alcohol I doubt that would change the amount consumed by the abuser. This is my own opinion based on my communications with addicts

• Michael D Nalley
    18 years ago

Michael:

"Simply if all drugs were as legal as the drug alcohol I doubt that would change the amount consumed by the abuser."

Then what's the problem?

I can see your point that the legal recreational drugs can cause as many problems as the illegal ones. I work at an Air Force Base as a civilian for M.W. R. morale, welfare, and recreation. I have tapped many a keg. But in my opinion a recreational drug is no longer recreational when someone becomes chemically dependant. I hate to think of myself as opinionated. But when I get into the parts of towns and cities that are heavily populated with hard drug users my first instinct is to get as far away as possible. Even if their drugs of choice were legal, many would break another law to support their habit in my opinion.
    When someone can show me how the legalization of hard drugs will solve these problems they will have my vote

• ReBecca
    18 years ago

* girl pulls up to drive through crack distributer.*

*i'd like an 8ball. and while your at it throw in a 40 and blunt please*

lmao

i agree with JPM... we are free. if drugs were legal though, i think there should be a legal age of buying, making it a little bit harder for children to get it....in an ideal world....

• SweetSuicide
    18 years ago

I think drugs are just bad ..

• Lyla
    18 years ago

i feel anything less dangerous than alochol (which is already legalized) should be legal. Schools and police are spending too much time and energy dealing with things like marijuana and trying to tell us how bad it is when they shold be concentrating on violence and more harmful drugs. The fact is alochol is worse than marijuana. You can get alochol poisoning and you have less control when your drunk then when your high on marijuana.

• Michael D Nalley
    18 years ago

Well, now if I were the president of this land
    You know, I'd declare total war on The Pusher man
    I'd cut him if he stands, and I'd shoot him if he'd run
    Yes I'd kill him with my Bible and my razor and my gun

This is some of the lyrics from ‘The Pusher’ a 1968 release by Steppenwolf
    In my opinion it seems the writer of these lyrics feels betrayed by the drug culture, which at the start of the song he admits to being a part of. It seems that he is disgusted that the victims of the Pusher’s greed are dying, but the pusher don’t care. Some could say that the victim is at fault because he or she willingly altered their biochemistry for recreation, but found that after a while they were ‘chemically dependant.’ I have heard that a physician that treats himself has a fool for a patient but that is what addicts usually do
    Living creatures need chemical balance to be healthy. I don’t think I am so naïve as the fictional character Mr Macky from South Park and simply say ‘drugs are bad ok.’ But think it is important that social problems have a solution so that the chain of self-abuse is broken. It seems that many people are suffering from depression because they cannot accept life on life’s terms. And some people need to be protected from their selves

• Michael D Nalley
    18 years ago

’Michael: That's great in an ideal world, but what about all the rich and upper class who take valium every night? And what about the doctors who are smoking pot, and what about President Clinton smoking pot? And what about President Bush abusing coke and alcohol in the 70's?’ yes the presidents have something in common, they quit.
    as far as the the rich and upper class who take valium I agree, no need for a swat team there
    You have to understand that all people need mechanisms of self calming and self coping. People in AA and NA chain smoke, drink coffee, and eventually make their cult into their self calming mechanism. they generally seem happier with the milder drugs

'Even babies suck their thumbs for self calming. Destructive? Yes, it is proven that thumb sucking can cause buck teeth'. You may be happy to know I was able to kick the thumb sucking habit without treatment

’So I tell you, you have a childish outlook with your petty dreams of everyone being God like with no flaws, but that just isn't how the world works. Remember we are born into sin. There is no human who is sin free. So why are we actually wasting tax dollars and time and energy taking people down who are doing nothing worse than the alcoholics in this USA?’ I know that the spiritual principals work and there are varying degrees of chemical balance achieved through spirituality

’I must reiterate again too, that many countries in Europe have very relaxed laws regarding drinking ages and drugs of all kinds, and per capita those same countries have far less drug and alcohol related incidents, especially involving other crimes. ’good point

’Canada also legalized marijuana possession. They too have far less incidents per capita involving drugs and / or alcohol’. Marijuana in my opinion is a milder drug

• Michael D Nalley
    18 years ago

I think you have proved that the laws are not working
    I am impressed with the way JHarrison stated his views on page 11 now on this forum 'should drugs be legal' a thread started by ismail. As for tax dollars,
    a woman that I was infatuated with was in prison for a very long time. I saw her on the news talking to the Governor of TN. years ago. The Governor was interested in spending money to improve prisons to make them do what they should be designed to do that is rehabilitate. Years latter I learned that she had died in an area that was known to sale drugs. I am not comparing drugs to violence but she died from multiple gun shot wounds.
    The newspaper stated that she had received a scholarship and written a book while in prison. The book was about how drugs and street life had nearly destroyed her. One could make the case that places like that would be out of business if drugs were legal