Intelligent Chat: Hurricane Katrina... Did New Orleans Ask 4 it?

• EoB
    18 years ago

??????

No...of course not...

I think/know global warming is the reason why it happened...

Perhaps if USA signed the Kyoto agreement, and stopped letting out such a huge amount of gasese that contribute to global warming, disasters like this would not happen...

If your god kills people because of who they are, then he is a bad god

• Cory Mastrandrea
    18 years ago

about the God thing? I have no clue. I am not one and never will be; therefore, I cannot tell you. And as for global warming I don't think that caused the hurricane to hit new orleans either. Bottom line is that hurricanes happen every year during the same time period. That is why it is called a hurricane season. This one just happened to hit New Orleans. Other ones hit Florida, South Carolina, all the way up the east coast states get hit. This time it was New orleans turn. I think that is all.

• Sean Allen
    18 years ago

Um actually if you were to make a plot of the number of violent storms in the past decade compared to the number of violent storms in previous decades, along with a comparison of the intensity of the storm, you'll find that it has increased greatly.

A similar pattern can be found comparing the past 50 years to the previous 50 years before that.

If you were to study hurricanes and their creation you'd realize that a change in global tempurature would have a serious effect on the severity and number of storms and hurricanes. And studies have most certainly verified the fact that the world IS undergoing global warming, although it has not be entirely and perfectly linked to people (although I would say that the evidence does link global warming to greenhouse gas emissions).

• Jacklyn
    18 years ago

i wouldn't blame God for what happend at New Orleans but the goverment that didn't get the buses there before it hit, and the lives they could have saved. the goverment is far from God. i know i am not the only one with the opinion that the goverment should have acted sooner if they knew it was a place of poverty and that people couldn't get out to save themself that buses should have been provided so that at least had the choice to leave. but they weren't given a choice but to sit it out through a catigory 5. i do not believe this was an act of God.

~Jacklyn

• †JustAri†
    18 years ago

Since when was God involved with natural occurences?

I believe the real source of the demolish is someone very beautiful yet ferocious called Mother Nature.

Mother Nature would NEVER let a man (or God for that matter) run her power. Noooooo.

Soon you'll be telling us that the Tsunamis occured because the people living near the ocean had a big luau (sp?) on the beach and ate lots of pork during the celebration. Since it says in the Bible (or so i've heard) that it's "bad to eat pork" or something like that, did God thrash those mighty waves upon those innocent people because they ate a pork loin?

God must be the manager of something with a phrase that opposes to Burger King's usual saying:

"Have It Your Way and Die".

Wow.

//Ari\\

• Jacklyn
    18 years ago

Noah's Arch with the huge flood that was caused by God Ari. but i think if i remember in the bible he promised that he would never do such a thing again.

~Jacklyn

• ReBecca
    18 years ago

it was a week of sodom and gommorah... gay and lesbo revival...

the correct term is lesbian not lesbo. and what a load of crap. if the fact that a few gay people were gathering to celebrate, led to a hurricane then the whole world better beware....it kills me how prejudice in one form or another is still so rampant in society in this day and age. whose to say "straight" people are any better than gay or lesbians?

• Jacklyn
    18 years ago

LOL, funny bob.

~Jacklyn

• †JustAri†
    18 years ago

LMAO

//Ari\\

• †JustAri†
    18 years ago

Ahh fruitloops, i forgot about Noah's Ark...

//Ari\\

• EoB
    18 years ago

Yup, Sean is right

• Eibutsina
    18 years ago

Bob - pyjamas :o)

Topic Author: What the hell are you smoking? Pass me some of that lol

• †JustAri†
    18 years ago

I knew that...i just didn't remember it. :P

//Ari\\

• Cory Mastrandrea
    18 years ago

Sean Allen, one of the reasons that statistic is out would be due to the lack of technology. 100 years ago we weren't able to track storms like we can today. We didnt know of all the violent storms that formed but never hitland. Hell, the 1938 hurricane that hit Connecticut flooded out two towns, but people didn't believe it was coming because we didn't track it. With the improvement of technology we are better able to track all the violent storms that form.

• Cory Mastrandrea
    18 years ago

I never disagreed with you JPM, I was posting in reply to Sean Allen

• Sean Allen
    18 years ago

Cory, regardless of the storm statistic, you're going to have trouble arguing that:
    1. global temperature doesn't affect the size and frequency of hurricanes

and

2. that global temperatures have not been changing in such a way that would increase the strength and frequency of hurricanes for around 150, although at a greater rate more recently.

heh i had to edit this to catch my own double negative...

• Jacklyn
    18 years ago

Bob: that was one of the best ones you've done with your gollum personality, i loved it! it's a crack!

~Jacklyn

• Sean Allen
    18 years ago

out of curiousity, did any christians happen to die when the hurricane hit? it seems to me that THE LORD promised those christians they wouldn't have to suffer through his punishments provided that they believed in and loved his son/himself (depending on the whole trinity thing).

Despite many people viewing New Orleans as a city of sin, there were plenty of pious people living their, and many of them died as well. Who here wants to say that everyone that died due to the hurricane was a bad person living a live of sin and or sodomy? It is ridiculous to even think about.

'We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another.'

Jonathan Swift

• Goth
    18 years ago

GOD???????.....mmmmm......***wrong thread sorry!***

• Cory Mastrandrea
    18 years ago

JPM I agree with you about the dam thing, but I don't think others see it like you do. I have an explanation for that though. In Mathematics there are little postulates and rules used to help solving equations. One thing like that is if A=B and B=C then A=C. Put it into the perspective of the hurricane. Hurricane= strong winds and rising/flooding waters Flooding waters=dam breaking There fore hurricane=dam breaking. I am pretty sure other people look at it like this. But if the dam were up to snuff, it wouldn't have broke, but they are thinking, yeah neither would it have busted if there hadn't been rising water.

• Natalie84
    18 years ago

Intelligent chat? Hmmmm.....I beg to differ...

• Natalie84
    18 years ago

HAHA

• Sean Allen
    18 years ago

i think you meant uninhabitable, but i can see your point

• Tainted Butterfly
    18 years ago

I don't think thousands of people who died or who were murdered out of the insanity of fear or greed asked for such a horrible event.

• Lydia O
    18 years ago

"Jesus "AS A MAN" changed the face of the Jewish religion into the face of the Christian religion."

No. Judaism did not change as a result of Jesus or the rise of Christianity. Most of the early converts to Christianity came from Gentiles, not Jews. Growth of Christianity came from the conversion of people in foreign lands. Jews have never sought growth by proselytizing in the way that Christians do. Judaism has survived and continued separately despite the spread of Christianity.

• Lydia O
    18 years ago

On the ABC news this morning it was reported that the three things most requested among hurricane Katrina victims were 1) water; 2) food; 3) bibles.

It doesn't sound to me like those were people to incur the intentional wrath and punishment from God.

• Cory Mastrandrea
    18 years ago

1) it is possible to make old testament points about Jesus. Paul did it all the time and he was alive after Jesus died. The new testament epistles that he wrote were all about making old testament points about Jesus because he didn't have the new testament. Many of the psalms that David wrote were about Jesus if read them carefully you would find that out. And David was definately in the Old Testament.

2) yes things have definately changed. Not everything in the old testament even applies anymore. Especially books like Leviticus where they go through all these laws. If you are a christian now, you should believe that God deals with people with much more mercy than he did in the Old Testament. In other words he wants people to live so he doesn't kill them.

• EoB
    18 years ago

"out of curiousity, did any christians happen to die when the hurricane hit? it seems to me that THE LORD promised those christians they wouldn't have to suffer through his punishments provided that they believed in and loved his son/himself (depending on the whole trinity thing)"

Thank you Sean!!!

• EoB
    18 years ago

So...if God did this, I mean, put a hurricane upon the sinful people of New Orleans...why do we never get any hurricanes over here in Europe?

I mean, AMsterdam is the gayest city in the world...40% of the marriages in Amsterdam are gay marriages...

And we in Norway never experience any kind of major disaster...Do are we less sinful than you?

in that case..

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaahahha..

you sinful Americans...

• Sean Allen
    18 years ago

hey while God is at it, why doesn't he kill all those darn heathens in third world nations?

• EoB
    18 years ago

I know..but seriously...I do sin quite alot...most people in Norway do that...we drink alot, some use drugs quite alot, we curse alot, many are heathen, we have alot of sex before marriage...

you name it..

Still, Norway is perhaps the one country which suffers from least natural disasters world wide...I am 18 years old, but have no memory nature killing more than perhaps 5 people at a time

• EoB
    18 years ago

that's more like it

• Cory Mastrandrea
    18 years ago

James, if you are looking at this from a christian point of view then you should go read Job. You will find out that it says that God does control nature and brings natural disasters when he feels fit, but it doesn't say that he brings them to kill people. He brings them in the midst of wars and such to keep people from killing themselves.

• ¤|Æ’lοяεηζîά|¤
    18 years ago

Did you donate money yet??

• Cory Mastrandrea
    18 years ago

but it is read by both Christian and Jew alike. That is why I used it.

• Tainted Butterfly
    18 years ago

ugh

• SexMeister69
    18 years ago

Perhaps. You see, a similar disaster took place about 15-20 years ago, and althoguh it was not as tragic, the message was clear: something needed to be done to avoid this in the future... But, as you can see nothing was done to prevent this. Furthermore, we, as stupid gringos, have rejected the Kyoto Protocol for the sake of economy, and are hence causing more damage to the environment, which in turn will result in greater climatic disasters. Ay ay ay.

• EoB
    18 years ago

sexmeister69:

Very, very true

we, as stupid gringos, have rejected the Kyoto Protocol for the sake of economy, and are hence causing more damage to the environment, which in turn will result in greater climatic disasters. Ay ay ay.

Probably the smartest thing written in these mindless forums for a long, long time.

JPM:

Kill everyone? Naah...That would be boring...

If your stupid, retarded, selfish government could act somewhat more intelligent, maybe things wouldn't be so bad...but nooooo...

"no people, no problems"...you got that right

• EoB
    18 years ago

conrogeratory

• EoB
    18 years ago

damnit