"If schools could pick their students..."

• Forgotten Memory
    18 years ago

there are already schools out there that pick their students. these schools are called Universities and Collges. and, with the current teaching system in Ontario, Canada, we arnt even being prepared for either of those two types of schools. High School is exactly like elementary school, where being pampered by teachers happens a lot. in University/College, handing in an what would have been an A paper in high school, is easily a D, or a C or a B.

if schools picked their students, racism would also increase. because chances are, the one picking has preferences as to who he/she wants in the shcool. so racism, no matter on what level, will occur. Take for example a proposition that just occured here in Ontario. some guy wants to create an ALL BLACK high school to decrease the number of black drop outs. now, how retro is that? going back to the days of whites vs black much? just not good.

Education isnt taken seriously no matter what angle you look at it, and having schools select the students does not mean ur taking education seriously. They are (here in Ontario, at least) dumbing down the marking system so that there arnt as many people failing courses!! can you believe that? the ones that shouldnt get good grades ARE and are going to get thrashed when they enter the real world. what good is lowering the expectations of the youth of this world? it just makes our future less brighter, and more dimmer like George Bush.

lets face the facts...education of the youth is a top prioritym but u cant do it by selecting the students for high schools or elementary schools. thats just not right. Universities and Colleges do it so that they are certain that the ones entering are prepared for it, and are going there for the right reasons. lowering expectations of the youth of todays world and selecting students just means that in the end, if these things continue, we will have f'd ourselves hard up the arse.

• Forgotten Memory
    18 years ago

"There is something very wrong and idiotic in Canada's education system."

i agree...and am ashamed to be a part of it..o well...just gotta do my best

• sadnessinshadows
    18 years ago

sadly. i'm part of the idiotic school system... *tear tear*

• Jacklyn
    18 years ago

those are some messed up ideas that he has! that's crazy i don't think it would fix anything, only makes things worst in many ways. i don't really have the time right now to list it all but it's stupid. we have to work together as one not just pick out certain people it's why high schools have Honors courses incase of the kid wanting to have more work and accpomplish more but if they are in a regular class then they should have to deal with what ever that kid may bring and hopefully maybe give that kid some direction in life. sometimes that's all the kids that behave badly need, someone that really cares and will take the time, i've seen it happen.

~Jacklyn

• Kalika
    18 years ago

I concur. It is an extremely stupid idea. Oh dear, the Canadian (especially Ontario's) Education system. *sigh* It hurts me just to think about it. Half the teachers, principals, district ministers, etc. are too incompetent to do their own jobs properly. If they want to improve the education system, they should start by hiring people who can properly do the educating, and than, go from there.

Kalika

• Kevin
    18 years ago

Ah man, you guys need to think a little about how much crap teachers at all levels of the education spectrum have to deal with.

In many instances, the students time at school is the only spate of social interaction they get all day that has rules, order and responsibility included. At home we can but guess at what goes on, and those poor teachers have to deal with every badly raised child the world over...plus try and poop out a wanky Government approved Satans pecker syllabus that is not interesting enough to attract the attention of anyone under 40.

So yeah, the guy who wrote that article is clearly a teacher who's been through the wars with some seriously messed up kids.

Have a little sympathy.

• Natalie84
    18 years ago

By letting people select the students they want in school we're proving to all the other kids that they just aren’t "special" enough to be in a certain school. I know how the trouble makers make everyone else feel as I was the kind of student that had to study hard and listen hard. I missed out on a lot because of idiotic kids acting up and trying to be funny. However, I don't think it's right to make one feel more superior than the other. Selecting certain kids to certain schools will be followed by racism...we are over those days of segregating our schools, aren't we? Eventually that's what would happen...there would end up being schools like there are clicks. The preppy book worms, the athletics, outcasts, black, white...you name it. I think it's a horrible idea...the kids need to be dealt with. I had a math class as a junior in high school. I SUCK at math...so I was taking the same class as ninth graders. They acted up so bad the teacher would actually sit down and quit teaching. Being a kid that struggled in that subject so much it really hurt my grade. I needed all the help I could get so -I- was punished for their behavior. Each kid should have been sent to the principal to have a talk with her and their parents. If they are punished and dealt with in a timely manner the problems would slowly decrease anyway. I think so anyway. Here we have a school called ALC (Alternative Learning Center) or (Assholes Last Chance HAHA) It’s a school for bad kids basically. So many times in the principal’s office that’s where you’d end up. So there are other alternatives for trouble makers.

• Natalie84
    18 years ago

I agree...people becoming teachers KNOW there will be problematic children. I believe it goes without saying. It's simply part of the job. Why “solve” one problem only to create a thousand more?

• Kevin
    18 years ago

No Angelina i don't agree teachers should take care of everything. A Teacher is a person who is supposed to be dedicated and solely focussed on academic tutoring, not social work and special needs.

Thats what parents are meant to do I thought?

I wouldn't expect my Tennis coach to raise my children...nor would i expect my Tai Chi instructor to sort out my woman troubles...if i had any of those things.

• Cory Mastrandrea
    18 years ago

Kevin is absolutely right. Teachers are not parents and should not be asked to be. That is overstepping their bounds. If schools want teachers to be both, then children should just live at school while attending.

• Natalie84
    18 years ago

I do agree with that. Parenting should be done at home but at the same time it should be expected to get 'bad' kids and they should be punished as that IS part of the job.

• Natalie84
    18 years ago

James I don't think what you say we've agreed on is right at all...maybe you should reread the entire thread...

• ¤|Æ’lοяεηζîά|¤
    18 years ago

Thats stupid. Plain BS

• Natalie84
    18 years ago

And you did the very thing you said not to do James....

• Cory Mastrandrea
    18 years ago

Angelina, college is not the "real world." The real world is a tv show. hahah. No but seriously, college is just a part of the real world. But just because you are in college doesn't mean shit. Highschool is only suppose to prepare you academically for college, not maturity wise. People mature with different experiences they go through, some faster than others. And eventually college prepares you for a job. But plenty of college kids still get everything paid for by their parents, dont do homework, mouth off, and act like retards. Many kids have no serious problems while in college. They do not worry financially, or academically, or for anything else for that matter. On the other hand there are those kids who do. But School is suppose to teach you the knowledge you need to go on with schooling and eventually get a job. They do not teach you the wisdom you need to mature and handle difficult situations. That comes from your own experiences or other's xperiences, not from academics.

• Jacklyn
    18 years ago

"Here we have a school called ALC (Alternative Learning Center) or (Assholes Last Chance HAHA)"

yay go you! making a funny name out of a school. not to be mean but that sentence just kind of bugs me. We have a school like that as well and i know someone who actually worked in one for quite some time. it's interesting to hear about what goes on there. Some kids actually get a lot of direction at these schools and learn the importance, that they're not trash like they grew up to believe, or that they can do it, or they realize that they have screwed up and they actually change and have a life in the future that's of quality. Some kids though learn nothing and stay the screw up that they have been made to become by there parents. I just don't think it's something to kid about but maybe I’m taking it too personally. We have a college here called LCC some people translate that to Last Chance College, but do you know how many people go there? A LOT, and i know people planning on going there. it's like an insult for wanting to go to college to become something it's just rude!

Plus most likely if a kid is acting out someone should try and find out why they are. Don't just label them a trouble maker, talk to them and see what's going on, because most of them are acting out, it's amazing what you can find out if you just talk to someone. Everyone has got something bad happening but everyone acts out differently.

Columbine: Do you know how many warning signs there were that it was going to happen. Harris and Klebold gave warnings in school projects, like English papers, they had this video tape made for a class assignment as well, teachers saw a change in their styles and attitude over the couple years of being a freshmen to senior. i saw a show on this and researched this topic before. it's just saddening because you have to wonder what IF someone had intervened at anytime? if they offered help. Harris was deeply angered inside. Klebold was really depressed inside. you just have to wonder how did it get so bad. My answer is because nobody stepped in, not a parent, teacher or classmate. Sorry but I feel that it fits into the topic, teachers shouldn’t choice their students, they should try and help the ones that act out not just turn them away.

~Jacklyn

• Cory Mastrandrea
    18 years ago

I agree with JPM, schools shouldn't be able to choose their students, just hit them.

ANother thing Angelina, there are plenty of excuses in College. Mainly they go for the athletes though, or someone given some hefty scholarship to bring glory to the school. Plenty of peopel get off easily, some fail and still graduate. the world runs like this. Many athletes never go to a class or do homework and somehow still pass. Despite their failing grades on exams and quizzes. It is a wonder but it happens.

• JJ
    18 years ago

what happened to teachers with wooden rulers?

I'm surprised when I hear about the disrespect students have in public schools. there's no such thing as a principles office or suspension in my type of school. that's not punishment. thats just giving them a break.

• ReBecca
    18 years ago

this is a hard topic to comment on. honestly i feel that teachers have it hard in this day and age, and they are way underpaid, for what they are expected to deal with. put yourself in their shoes, for one moment. would you want to be a teacher? i never considered the concept of picking your students.....but if you were a teacher in this day and age and had the choice of choosing, " what would you choose?" do you really want a child who causes nothing but problems? or do you want someone who is good always?...and if you could pick, would you really?

• JJ
    18 years ago

I always wanted to be a teacher but when I heard they don't allow physical punishment, I changed my mind. and if I ever did become a teacher in this day and age, I would definitely want to pick my own students.

• Natalie84
    18 years ago

Jacklyn:
    I was NOT in any way trying to disrespect the kids that attented that school as I myself went the school right next door. It's an academy for kids to go to that just simply don't like school. Another "assholes last chance." I went there because I hated school and I worked faster (at my own pace) so that I could hurry up and be done with high school. I think the school is a wonderful idea and I know many people who came out of it better people. The teachers within taught them a lot about life in turn making them stronger and more eager to step out into the real world. On the other hand I also know people who came out exactly the same. I think that college is a wonderful idea. Here there is a community college (the one I went to) and many look down upon it as it's a college for EVERYONE and not just straight A students.

James:
    Up yours? Very original. I'm sorry that you're too dim witted to do better than that and have an intelligent conversation. Maybe you should stick with the cutting threads.

I have mixed feelings about punishment in schools. My mother and other family told me of the ruler when they were in school. If you ask any of them they will tell you the teacher ALWAYS had order in his/her class as the students feared the ruler. And even when I was in elementary the principal was allowed to paddle us. There were very few problematic kids then because no one wanted to get paddled. Fear alone kept most everyone in order. But at the same time I don't think I'd want anyone "man handling" MY children like that as you never know if they could get out of hand. If it became on a personal level...maybe a kid hit the principals daughter or something, would he hit harder?

• Natalie84
    18 years ago

James: Really I think it's time you grow up. Get over it, you shouldn't have gotten so upset that I pointed out you had a little information wrong. It's not that big of a deal...move on already. And TRUST ME you couldn't hurt me...

• Natalie84
    18 years ago

No, actually I don't know what you mean...

• Feline Fatigue
    18 years ago

hmm...you guys are confusing.

• Jacklyn
    18 years ago

sorry Natalie84, just normally when people around here are making fun of those schools it's because they don't understand the importance of them, it's because they know that they got the grades to get into the best schools and they are well behaved. very few actually take the time to see what they are like and why they are there someimes and the good that comes from it. but it seems you know, and i didn't know that which is why it upsetted me. but it's, plus i had a bad day that day and they just kind of set me off.

~Jacklyn

• Jacklyn
    18 years ago

i said sorry to her because i took what she wrote the wrong way and kind of exploded a little bit. after i have read what she really thought about the topic i took it a lot less personally and understood her statement better. you make it sound as if saying sorry was a bad thing but it's not.

~Jacklyn

• Jacklyn
    18 years ago

for the record i'm against teachers picking thier students my reasons are stated above with what i said about Columbine and so on.

~Jacklyn

• Steven Beesley
    18 years ago

Angelina,

"Universities and colleges pick their applicants."

Have you thought about the fact that once everyone has finished their academic life, obtained a degree and are trained for a specific job, you still don't pick the job or company you work for. You apply and they pick the ones they want.

This happens allot in life.

Steve

• JJ
    18 years ago

the way most kids are today, no respect and no discipline, I say yes teachers should be allowed to pick their own students. Of course, then you would argue 'that's what teachers are paid to do and it comes with the job' unfortunately thats true...but like I said before, if I was a teacher I would want to pick my own students.

• Fighter (Ariane L.)
    18 years ago

my school picks their students...

• Avrii Monrielle
    18 years ago

sh*t. i want to go to julliards when im old enough. not some crappy college around my town (near my abusive parents)

• Purple
    18 years ago

Okay I skimmed some of the post (but read most) so I might have missed some thing. You guys keep saying that high schools-elementarys-middle schools all prepare you for college/other higher learning, that's not what my teachures say they are doing. My teachures will say they are preparing us to be succesfull in the real world, and one thing they bring up often is that the #1 thing that people are fired for is not geting along/coroperating. They try to make sure we are able to get along with others not just that we're smart enough and ready for some higher learning.
    I agree that chousing students would proably end up with some super proablematic schools and also students that are exiled from schools completly. Exiled was proably not the right word... A good teachure can keep the students respect, attentoin and posibly end up being a friend to their students while they teach. One time we had a long term sub and she serously could not controll (ugg spelling) the class. We even had a large amount of students walk out on her saying we needed a new sub. She continued to try to teach she got enough students to listen to her while she was at the board to teach a lesson. The class was just so routy, most of the people slacked off and just did all their work at home. She actually ignored them and help who ever wanted help-well she didn't completly ignore them, she did try to get them quite ocaisonly (failing)... A guy ended up getting stepled in the legg during that class (by a friend)... Okay point being that the students that made a effort were still able to get some stuff done even though a bunch of people were goofing off... Or you can draw your own point and poke me with it. :D ... Wait was there a point?

• Purple
    18 years ago

I knew I spelled it wrong! Duh, thank you for correcting my spelling there. I don't know about what you said though, by real life I mean what ever we chouse to do after high school (although I know we could chouse to stay behind and play vidoe games at our parents house-not the ideal real life experience) wich includes not going to college and going directly to a job instead. Teachers (once again thanks for the spelling) do prepare you for colledge and teach some general things that will help you in the work place as well. I live in USA-Michigan so there may be a differents in what each educational system teaches.