Why so many depressing poems on this site

• PnQ Mod Account
    19 years ago

yes, I noticed that too Margaret... I have been in that rut, where everything I wrote was sad... but it helped me get out of it... I can still write a tear-jerker for sure...but nomore depression! :o)

• Mass Murder
    19 years ago

My life has been great but i guess i only write when i dapressed so it jusst lets me revils or takes away the pain

• StarGirl
    19 years ago

People tend to write when they're feeling the most emotional. That usually tends to be when they're angry. After all... would you rather read a poem about something you can relate to or a poem called "The Happy Bunny"?

• StarGirl
    19 years ago

LoL whoa... ^_^ Mad props to "Happy Friends" LoL

• StarGirl
    19 years ago

LoL Not yet! **goes to read part 2*

• StarGirl
    19 years ago

Omg that was awesome! LOL

• gasping for air
    19 years ago

sometimes i get the feeling that maybe we do one of a few things, push ourselves too hard causing us to get disapointed easily, expect too much from ourselves (again causing us to get disapointed too easily)...... or maybe god puts us through more sorrow than happiness, more pain than pleasure so that we can be stronger as people or treasure what happiness and pleasure we do get.
    maybe im wrong but maybe im not
    loves and hugs
    Manda Lynn

• Vanessa
    19 years ago

It had been an habit of mine, writing sad poems, since i think my life is composed of sad events, i mean everyday there seemes to be another event that will affect my life and i just transfer my feelings through my poems. Even when i write happy poems it ends as an sad one, the only time i can write a truly happy poem is when im truly happy =D

• Baby B
    19 years ago

A lot of people write what they feel and a lot of people feel depressed so they post what they write and it is depressing.

• Cantchangeme
    19 years ago

Pain, hurt and depression are the strongest emotions people can have, because love is hard to find and especially in a world were love seems to be dying, and hatred seems to be running more free than ever amongst people

Love, Peace and Empathy

• Blue•Water
    19 years ago

I just came to this site and am in the process of composing my first poem now. I believe that poetry is more often motivated by feelings of sadness than happiness. When I am feeling exhuberant and energetic I really am not drawn toward poetry. It is when I am feeling pensive and introspective from sadness that I look toward poetry that reflects the emotions I am feeling.

When sadness enters your life it is often difficult to get past it. The usual activities like exercise, being with friends and other such things that normally serve as mood elevators are the kinds of things people often avoid when they become despondent. So if sadness is thus prolonged among people who use poetry as an outlet for expressing their feelings, I can understand how this would tend to generate continual streams of sad poetry.

• Mild insomnia
    19 years ago

I found that people like the depressed stuff, and if it helps them through it, then I'll write it. Actually I'm a really happy person!

• Cantchangeme
    19 years ago

You can't walk away from what you feel, Sometimes it just helps to vent all the sadness, anger, loathing, self hate, whatever you're feeling at the time into poems

• gasping for air
    19 years ago

i agree with bluewater.... there's no better way to explain it... besides, humans arent the best living things on the planets... look at all of the horrible things we've done to eachother and other things...
    :( it makes me sad... but it explains why im so screwed up.... :/
    loves and hugs
    Manda Lynn

• Gracie Jo
    19 years ago

Alish : I agree with you.

Feeling depressed is just another emotion that everyone feels. Everyone deals with things they go through differently.. and if people have to write depressing poems rather then hurt themselves.. then I'm all for it. But I have noticed there are a lot on here.. and I'm including myself as well. But like I said.. it's just a part of everyone's emotions..

Another reason is I think a lot of people find it easier to write when they're upset, mad, (and so on..). I know, for me it least, that it's a lot easier to write about being upset. And I know for a fact I'm not alone there..

~Grace

• Kevin J
    19 years ago

I think that alot of ppl/poets use their writing as a tool to heal whats not not right in their lives. You'll find most of these ppl write more on a personal with every write, even if it's not depressing or sad. It's like a journal :)

Theirs a group that write as a hobby. With these ppl you'll see a wider range of topics, and very few sad ones. Most of their topics are light, funny, life lessony (lessony is to a word :p) lol

Theirs the group that aspire to write professionally. They also have a wide range of topics, but their writes tend to be deeper and more wordy and wordly, with hardly any personal portraits.

But that's just my observations on poets :)

• SCARECROW
    19 years ago

I'm guilty of the whole writing sad poems thing, but I'm a goth poet, and where would goth poets get by writing about happy bunnies? Peace, love and empathy.
    -Belle Misericordia

• Unseen Exposure
    19 years ago

Poems are supposed to be about the way people feel, and most people don't write when they're happy ... at least, I know I don't. It's just the way it is, I guess.

• SCARECROW
    19 years ago

I actually don't type it up here, I write it on paper first. Then I edit it, run through a thesaurus looing for better words, etc..
    Then again, each to one's own, right?

• Lexi Lou
    19 years ago

pik happy bunny~

• KiKi
    19 years ago

i agree with bluewater that most poems are better written with sadness i have alot of those but i havent posted them because my ex-best friend has them and she shant given them back to me but i also think poems are the best when they come from your heart so if your feeling depressed and the best way for you to get rid of it is writting it down then do it it helped me alot when i got depressed a while back some i wrote in tears but after a month or two of writting them i felt such a reliefe so......i think poems written during sadness and love are the best

• unprotected lover
    19 years ago

its very depressing but it helps me when i have friends that tend to be depressed or i become depressed. these peoms tend to make me cry, but it reminds me that life is worth living, thanks if you write depressing peoms

• xX Toxic Cure Xx
    19 years ago

good poetry comes from the heart, and is pretty realistic and most people just tend to realise how things really are in this world of ours and dont try to paint a picture that everythings ok and everythings fine

• SHYSTY23KO
    19 years ago

Because poetry is away to take your mind of stuff and depressed people need to take thier mind off stuff? I'm not like that but i undertand them kinda :)

• ♥x__Pwincess danii//
    19 years ago

well its is probably because poetry is a way of lettign out feeling n people take it out on poems

• deadnalone
    19 years ago

A lot of the reason is because when people are depression writing poetry helps a lot of them. When your feelings are more known and you have sort of let them go it makes it all slightly easier, leaves room for the next load of pain, or wed all be killing ourselves.
    from one of the depressing subject poetry writers

• paperdoll
    19 years ago

Mostly when i write poems i seek to create a mood rather than recreate an event or experience, and my poems always start on paper. But even before i started feeling more frequently depressed my poems were generally sad, and i think this could be because depression is one of the easier moods to capture, particularly as a teenager.

I agree with Bluewater's comment, you are more likely to be introspective and moody whilst writing poetry.