Do you think poetry is better when it comes from the heart?

• Natalie
    18 years ago

I dont know about most people, But most of my poems are based on how i feel.

And im just wondering if other people think that most poems are better when they come from the heart, Instead of choosing a random topic to write about that you have maby never exprienced or felt?

• Kaylee
    18 years ago

My earlier ones are from my mind but my newer ones come from the heart so you can probably see a big difference between the two.

• PURE HEART
    18 years ago

i surely agree wid this.......i have improved a lot now as now i write directly from my heart.

• PnQ Mod Account
    18 years ago

As you grow in your writing, it will become more and more difficult to distinguish between "mind" writing and "heart" writing, for your mind and heart will learn how to write together. Your mind will be able to find the right words for what you are feeling and your heart will lend passion to ignite the words that your mind comes up with.

Take time to exercize both aspects of writing and they will come together and reward you with a happy blend of both.

• Natalie
    18 years ago

lol Great point ^^

• Daniel J
    18 years ago

JHarrison, If you have never read Charles Dickens' "Hard Times," I suggest you do :p

You sound exactly like one of the characters in it, who comments, upon being asked "have you a heart?" responds with "the circulation, sir, couldn’t be carried on without one. No man, sir, acquainted with the facts established by Harvey relating to the circulation of the blood, can doubt that I have a heart."

The character in question is called Bitzer. Here's an online copy. It's great, go read it if you haven't. And anyone else: http://www.online-literature.com/dickens/hardtimes/

• Kate
    18 years ago

I definetly agree,
    when I start writing a poem I don't think about what I am writing I just type away without stopping to fix the spelling

• Robert Gardiner
    18 years ago

I kind of agree with JHarrison, in that the mind creates, thinks, and the heart pump blood, feels, but many feel and can't put there feelings into words, and some of those who can and do, don't do that so skillfully, well, and what they end up with and the reader ends up having to read is jumbled up feelings and emotional dribble and not necessarily what is the most aesthetically, linguistically, and Literary pleasant read. Now, I'm personally known for "Romantic Love Poems", but I always try to put thought into my poems and artfully craft them as much as possible. I just think that they're better that way that poetry is better that way. Anyone can write with sentiment (feelings, emotions) but it takes the mind to create art, to write with artistry. Feeling, emotion, is good to have in your poem (in a poem in general) but let us not discount the mind, the mental aspect.

• Jacklyn
    18 years ago

if your talking experiance wise then some of my poems come from what i have gone through and what i currently am feeling but truthfully some of my better poems come from my creativity and also when i have a random topic to write about.

~Jacklyn

• Slit*My*wrists*With*a*Broken*Heart*
    18 years ago

Of course, then it wouldn't be connected ot you. it would be like, your trying to be someone else.

• lisa marie
    18 years ago

poetry doesn't come from the heart. it's all in your mind. i don't even think the heart feels. your emotions are within your mind and your brain creates the physical pain in your body when you're feeling sad.

• lisa marie
    18 years ago

your heart is a muscle that pumps blood throughout your body. please explain to me how your heart is able to enhance what you feel?

• lisa marie
    18 years ago

why does everyone get so angry? it's a discussion. I just wanted you to explain how the heart enhances what you feel because you did say that's what it does. and if you can't even explain your opinion..then why have it?

• lisa marie
    18 years ago

you can't even explain your opinion though.

• Stacy
    18 years ago

There is a place, I belive, that experience leads you to. A place where you are writing both from heart and from mind. Writing has given me many experiences, whether I have actually gone through them or not. It certainly is difficult to write about a topic you have no experience with, but, depending on the topic, you can write some great pieces without having ever gone through it.

• Bhavin
    18 years ago

A poem when written that comes through heart gives a lot of satisfaction. Hence a poem when written by heart, sounds more beautiful, rocking!

• LostHopesCrimsonTears
    18 years ago

all poetry should come from the heart. if it dosnt, it shouldnt be called poetry (well except like funny poems and such lol)

• Italian Stallion
    18 years ago

"Traditional poetry is language arranged in lines, with a regular rhythm and often a definite rhyme scheme. Nontraditional poetry does away with regular rhythm and rhyme, although is usually is set up in lines. The richness of its suggestions, the sounds of its words, and the strong feelings evoked by its line are often said to be what distinguish poetry from other forms of literature. Poetry is difficult to define, but most people know when they read it."

^^ "and the strong feelings evoked by its line are often said to be what distinguish poetry from other forms of literature"

I think this line sums it up pretty good, strong feelings...well to have feelings you need a heart. :)

Quoted from:

library.thinkquest.org/23846/library/terms/

Peace, Joe

• Lucy
    18 years ago

I really have to agree, poetry comes from what you feel inside not from what you say just randomly, I find it easier to get some thinking time to think about it, Poetry does come from your heart and what you think and feel inside it's a great way to express feelings to one another and to send messages you wouldn't rather say.

• Lucy
    18 years ago

Yes! I have to agree!

• Archie
    18 years ago

i definately agree wit dat

• Shelby
    18 years ago

Well yes and no i agree poetry is better when it comes from the heart, but most of my poems don't come from my heart a lot of them do but not all of them. Like my poems arent good but they arent bad, so i disagree i think it can come from the heart or not for me it doesnt make a difference but maybe for other people it might.

• Juice
    18 years ago

I do the same thing and i also agree that it is better when it comes from the heart. I my-self write poems on what i ahve expeericend and somtimes on a senerio played out in my head. But the ones that are true and are my feelings on a subject/matter i have truly incounterd in my eyes are my best i hope u feel the same way.

• xXxAngelEyes007xXx
    18 years ago

Yupperz it is always better from the heart

• swill
    17 years ago

About the debate that the heart pumps blood and the mind is the one that thinks and feels...well, has any one of you ever felt VERY VERY sad...and experienced searing pain , in your chest. It comes right from the centre...and it hurts SO MUCH. Right below the sternum is where it hurts me the most when Im sad...so there must be some reason for using that metaphor, that the heart "feels"....

• hazzi
    17 years ago

yeh thats a good point but I think when you feel really happy or really low & you just write bout it, then that's a better kind of poem because you actuallyhave experienced the message your poem is giving other people....

• Felicity Alt
    17 years ago

I write a poem about whatever is on my mine and what is really bothering me.

• Avrii Monrielle
    17 years ago

of course. what good is something if it's not from the heart?

• blueknight
    17 years ago

yeah poetry is greater when it comes from a heart full of emotions deep feeling and great languages

• Tormented
    17 years ago

Yup! poetry is much better when it comes from your heart!

• LadyPearl
    17 years ago

Yes, agree

• Chelsey
    17 years ago

ummm if not from the heart where else?

• nyeemah
    17 years ago

maybe from past exsperience and thtas what they go from

• Ed or Ian Henderson
    17 years ago

"ummm if not from the heart where else?"

The brain? ;-)

• Bhavin
    17 years ago

a poem gives immense satisfaction when written by heart bcoz a heart can help in describing many feelings that are trapped inside our mind.

• SaveMe?
    17 years ago

i could never write a poem when it was not from my hart thats why people write poetry is it not? to express the feeling held within your hart?
    xxx

• Robert Gardiner
    17 years ago

I personally find I write better, when I not wrapped in a swell of emotion (feelings). I don't write well all choked up. If I'm all choked up with a frenzied fluster of emotion, feeling, I can't really express that. To truly reach the eloquence of poetry, I find that I must think about what it is I'm trying to get across, express, and apply all my mental resources to it, in order to come up with somethingng I can be artistically, linguistically, and literarily proud of. The heart is not a wordsmith and it doesn't put ideas, concepts, words, and phrases together in an eloquent, elegant, and artful manner. The mind does that, and without it I and I think I can safely say all of us could not express without it.

• Phantom Lord
    17 years ago

I'd rather read something I know that the person who wrote it was feeling at the time then something full of metaphors.I'm not a big poetry fan,atleast not of the stuff that's considered "famous". Just like music,the best stuff is always unknown.Poetry from the heart says a lot more then something that makes no sense.That's just me.

I write from the heart.Everything I've written is personal,which to me makes it that much better because when I read it later,I can reflect on how I was feeling.So that's my final answer. :)

• Brianna
    17 years ago

idk bout evry1 else, but i seem 2 write better when it comes from my heart. maybe its cuz its easier to express my feelings that way. when its jus a random subject that i dont exactly know much about, it doesnt hav much feeling to it. if i havnt experienced it, then it wont mean as much to me either...so i guess from the heart is what's best for me.

• RainbowSlider
    17 years ago

I think poetry should come from the heart and mind so that there is poetic justice. If you are in love then the mind can only write what the heart tells it and if your not in love then the mind can write without the heart because if you don't mind then it doesn't matter. The mind is gray matter but the heart is another matter completely. What matters most is that you give what matters most to your poetry which is you. If your poetry isn't you then it isn't poetry.