Publishing

• mel
    17 years ago

i think it is a very good idea, i personally think EVERYONE should follow their DREAMS so should you honey xxx

• Gary Jurechka
    17 years ago

Start out with getting published in the literary small presses.I started there(though I wasn't that good and went through months of rejections first-don't get discouraged, the more you write the better you get.I thought my early stuff was good-it wasn't, it was horrible.But we grow, learn and improve as we go along) and eventually had 5 chapbooks published and became a well known and immensely published poet.Under the topic NOTES ON WRITING POETRY in this forumn/thread is a list of markets and how to go about submitting/getting published.You may want to check it out.As I've had much experience in the small presses/being published, I'd be glad to answer any questions/help if possible, just drop me a line.

Peace, Poetry, & Power,

Gary Jurechka

• .K.i.T.t.Y.
    17 years ago

I think u should continue to write more and wait untill u have a higher average rating. and you should start off small,and see where u rank in the real world.

but i was thinking about the exact same thing as you. do u think any of my poems are worth publishing. i'm starting small(with a school magazine) too.

I want to get better at children's poetry and maybe make a book with that. idk

srry if this seems choppy, im diong this b4 i haveta go somewhere.

let me no what u think of my poems and if they are publish-wrthy!

• .K.i.T.t.Y.
    17 years ago

it sucks, my ratings went down after i stuck a few crappy alletartive poems on my poem page. i want my .2 points bacckkk....

welll im done being immature.

plz read rate and comment whatever i have worthy! WOO

and people should follow their dreams.

and publishing young is pretty neat if things go good. so if ur ppl accept u take advantage of the moment, it may be once in a lifetime.

• xTheEcstasyOfSuicidex
    17 years ago

I 100% agree with Dead Soul.

You're not yet good enough to consider publishing. There are so many amazing poets out there...It takes real talent to get publish.

Everyone SHOULD follow their dreams, but give yourelf time to grow up and give time for your own poetry to grow up.

A lot of writers want to be publish, but some never get there. I, myself, hope to one day get publish... But, who is to say all our dreams come true?

My Opinion: Hang in there and keep writing. I promise you get better as you go (as long as you get good constructive critism and not 'tat 'az gut!' comments). When given opinions on how to improve your poetry, take them and learn, don't scoff them. Sound fair enough?

Best luck with writing.

xTheEcstasyOfSuicidex

• .K.i.T.t.Y.
    17 years ago

but then again, along wtih ecstacys poems, there are people who no offence but suck, and they get published!

so its really your opinion, but i still think u should start small and see how ppl like it, or how u face rejection. then ull gradually build.

• xTheEcstasyOfSuicidex
    17 years ago

Kitty--
    That's your opinion... But, I do not suck. I take offense to that statement.

Besides...

Why would you want to publish if you are bad? To redicule yourself? Give good advice and tell her how to improve rather then tell her to go and redicule herself.

xTheEcstasyOfSuicidex

• ariana
    17 years ago

do w/e makes ya happy hun

• .K.i.T.t.Y.
    16 years ago

Oh, i dont think i meant it like that...let me go figure out what i was thinking. i would never be that insulting...

• .K.i.T.t.Y.
    16 years ago

Wow.. i honestly dont know what i was thinking. ive read your poems ecstasy, and ive liked them...

• xTheEcstasyOfSuicidex
    16 years ago

Mmm, rereading that it was a bit harsh, but we all have our bad days I suppose.
    And thank you, I'm glad you like them.
    However, my statement wasn't an attack on you, and I'm sorry you read it that way.

Take care.

xTheEcstasyofSuicidex

• Antithesis
    16 years ago

On the note of publishing, I was wondering if some of my poems reached the standard where it could be published. I would appreciate it if you go take a look at them and give me your comment on whether it is good enough.

• Gary Jurechka
    16 years ago

For anyone seriously interested in submitting to the small press literary magazines and other forms of publication, there is a list of both paper printed and on-line zines, broadside & chapbook, & regular book publishers at:
    http://www.poems-and-quotes.com/discussion/topic.html?topic_id=93220
    under the heading Getting Published/Poetry Markets.

For more info on how to submit, etc. check out Notes On Writing Poetry & NOWP (part II) in this forumn.
    As for determining if you are ready, if your poems are good enough, that depends on you. You must be honest with yourself and also able to judge your poems honestly and critically, even harshly. And you must be prepared and able to take criticism and rejection. You have to be technically and emotionally ready. Never stop trying to improve your work and if you do feel you are ready and submit and get rejected, don't give up. Keep trying, as long as it takes.

Peace, Poetry & Power,

Gary Jurechka