POOR SPELLING

• Brandy Sansotta
    19 years ago

Who all agrees that people should spell check their poems before submitting them? I really hate it when I go to read someone's poem and there are so many spelling and grammatical errors that it doesn't make sense.

• Luvmeluvr
    19 years ago

I COMPLETELY agree. It is annoying to no end.

• SCARECROW
    19 years ago

Agree totally. I could actually leave a comment saying how many mistakes there are and how much it pisses people off, but people get so bitchy when you leave honest critique. Even when they need it and ask for it.

• Brandy Sansotta
    19 years ago

I think that if people are going to do it on purpose they could put it at the end of their poem or someting. I dont really leave comments because people get mad when they ask for comments.

• Johnny Marlin 2
    19 years ago

I definately think people should spell check their poems, and another thing that bothers me is writing u (you), or 2 (two), it just seems elementary to me. It seems to degrade the poem in my opinion...

• Luvmeluvr
    19 years ago

Well, Jason, you said it. I didn't want to, but I agree with that as well.

• Johnny Marlin 2
    19 years ago

That's normal if you commonly misspell words, but if there is only one or two errors, it will still let you send it.

• Brandy Sansotta
    19 years ago

Yes, all computers will make you spell check if there are too many errors before sending something.

• Ami
    19 years ago

I think it's even more pathetic that people spell things wrong when THIS SITE has a spell checker.

• Veamm
    16 years ago

Yeah..well it depends on the person who wrote it..but spelling must be check

• Dan
    16 years ago

I HATE IT! I use u and 2 etc in like chatrooms and that but in poetry? How big an idiot do you have to be!? I always rate 2 LESS if i see anything like that because people just dont care

• Viola
    16 years ago

It's good to have proper English because after all it is a literary site..and poetry is a form of art that should be treated with respect and therefore writen in proper form. But with that said there are people on this site who's first language is not English and for them it is a bit harder to get everything right..still a sencere effort should be made.
    so i agree with everyone ^

--Viola

• Rose not your average
    16 years ago

I do but sometimes there is still mistakes

• Alissa
    16 years ago

It does seem to degrade the poetry, it just doesn't make sense why you would leave your vocabulary to such a low standard in a site about poetry. It just completely contradicts everything about it. It makes me mad, seeing people wondering why they are getting such bad rates, when their poems are like that. I also hate it when people keep their caps lock on, it just bothers the eyes.

• Romancing the Darker Side
    16 years ago

A few here and there are fine but at least look over it to make sure nothing is glaring out at you...

• Ashleigh Skye
    16 years ago

I find that most of the time spelling errors take away greatly from the poem

• Sarah
    16 years ago

Yea agree

• silvershoes
    16 years ago

Ha! I don't need Spell Check. My natural spelling abilities are incredible.

• azii
    16 years ago

I totally agree with Ashleigh Skye.

• Sweet Fragility
    16 years ago

Ditto. Its so distracting.

• Brittany Hampson
    16 years ago

My english teacher said poetry is a form of your writing... so a lot of people made up words in that class when we were writing peotry... i didn't i used one of my writings about nature then a depression one to show... but then again if you spell a word wrong that is another word but not the word you want it wont see that...

• njabulo b
    16 years ago

Im agree with you, some people took english as their 2nd language so there are not perfect and sometimes the spelling checker makes it worse. So every1 shld understand if some1 made a lot of mistake atleast he or she is trying.

• faye cooper
    16 years ago

I agree with you but in a different way im 13 so not that quallified as the rest of you i know its sloppy if somone cant spell a word properly but mabie they have troubles with spelling like me in year4 i had special needs for my speech and speling but now im 13 and in year 9 my teacher says i am actually improving really well. so mabie you should think about that persons background and mabie how bad they used to be before and if they have come a long way. But on the other hand im just a kid so dont take my advise to seriously!!! lol.

• IdTakeABulletForYou
    16 years ago

Don't read them.

• Cooper
    16 years ago

In all honesty I despise spelling mistakes. I can understand if you have a problem with spelling, I'm not going to judge anyone for that.
    But if you're writing poetry, it's not only respectful to yourself, but to others as well, if you spell correctly. I find it's much, much easier to read when there's not several mistakes, or even a few mistakes.

• shadowcat
    16 years ago

Yep. Poor spelling can completely ruin a really good poem. Especially those slang words....
    arrrgh! >.<
    Sihinta xx

• cong
    16 years ago

I dont really think its that annoying because i dont always spell right

• Emi
    16 years ago

AMEN! I get tired of reading those poems. And the whole "&&" stuff is annoying to no end!

• X l i l T a n i X
    16 years ago

Yes you really should spell check.. cause people dont always spell words right and sometimes you cant always understand the words they write wrong

• DontForgetTonight
    16 years ago

I really agree! It really bugs me when people mispell things in their poems.

• HOLLYWOODxBANGBANG
    16 years ago

I agree, I absolutely HATE it. And, when I comment on someones poem about it and try to help, they get all moody about it. Frick.

• Rachel
    16 years ago

Yes that can be annoying if the person is really obviously putting no effort into that, but i dont mind the odd mistake here or there, no one is perfect right.

• Megan
    16 years ago

Spelling Error's Are My Pet Peeve. I Hate When People Do It. My Bf Has A Bad Habit Of Spelling Things Wrong. Very Bad Habit.

• sibyllene
    16 years ago

Spelling is important, but it's good to remember that there are also many other vitally essential aspects to grammar.

There are a few examples of my pet peeves in this thread.

• Rhea
    16 years ago

Grammar and spelling is the most significant part of a poems. without a correct grammar readers will have a difficulties to relate to whatever the writer wants them to feel. and of course spelling,incorrect spelling will leads the readers to have a wrong impression or got a wrong meaning, different from what the writer mean.

• Brittany
    16 years ago

I hate when people have poor spelling or grammar. I mean, a few innocent mistakes are fine, I've been known to make them, as, I'm sure, are others. It's human to make mistakes.
    But to purposefully used msn language, and numbers instead of the word is just insulting in a way. Short forming things like that is not what writing is about.

• xXMohawkedMahemXx
    16 years ago

Its really annoying because it ruins the flow of the poem... if you cant spell there is help..

x

• MysticBlood
    16 years ago

I agree. There is a spell check before submitting a poem.