Do You Ever?

• ABake
    16 years ago

If you have a lot of poems and by a lot I mean more than 100, do you ever get a comment on an old piece of work or even just go and read your old stuff and realize how much you have improved?

I know it's kinda random =] but it is true ecspecially if you have been on the site for a while. You improve by every poem, because you learn more and more.

Does anyone feel the same?

--Amber--

• Goran Rahim
    16 years ago

According to all of the fact and comments from my readers i just worse after each poem, so my old poems were better it mean rather than improving i am disproving,lol.
    but the reason is now i safe my good ones for my new book to be publish in 2008

• Twisted Heart
    16 years ago

Every once in awhile someone will comment on my older poems. I feel flattered when they do because that means they have dug into my poems and found one that really touched them.

I sometimes read my older ones to see if I find improvement. Most of the time, I do. But then some of my older ones I like better than some of my new ones. Brings back memories of where I was emotionally when I wrote that particular piece.

I feel with my poetry, there is always room for improvement.

• DAYLON
    16 years ago

I must say yes because I have been diagnose with dyslexia and with every poem I have written, while having treatment for my dyslexia I have notice the improvements from my old stuff to the new stuff. All thanks to ddat/dore team.

• Gary Jurechka
    16 years ago

I wrote my best stuff in the late 80's and especially in the early to mid-90's- around 2000 I went into a five year writer's block and didn't write much, but since I've written quite a few on a regular basis. While I feel there are some good ones in the newer ones, there are only a handful that match what I consider my 'peak' period of years ago (I guess on second thought there are quite a few good recent ones, judging by comments and personal messages)- I'm my own harshest critic. Thus I appreciate it more to receive comments on my older poems (the ones at the bottom half of those I have posted). I had more drive and a different state of mind then I guess. But I still write for all the same reasons. As for improvement, well, in some ways I have (my first poems were truly awful! And I do mean awful!), but in some ways I've degenerated from what I consider my best poems in the 90's. I can only say read some of the old and new stuff of mine and judge for yourself.

Peace, Poetry & Power,

Gary Jurechka

• claire
    16 years ago

Definitely - i read stuff i wrote when i was 5, or 10, or any age, and see ridiculous changes over the years.

• claire
    16 years ago

On second thought i never wrote anything that could be called poetry till i was like 11. still, over the years i've seen dramatic improvement.

• 19Rusty
    16 years ago

Actually I just finished school and my teacher said that about me that my writing in general just not one topic has grown greatly and I am very happy about that.

• ABake
    16 years ago

Thank you all for answering me! I just had got a comment on an old peice of work and as someone had said that means someone really dug deep into your work!

Thanks Again!

_-Amber-_

• bRiNgMeToLiFe
    16 years ago

I've seen the improvement in mine to. When i started out they were much more shallow and now my emotions run deeper...

• Fluffy
    16 years ago

I may not have 100 poems here, but I do tend to look at how the standard of my writing has improved over the years.

• Ashley Ann
    16 years ago

You dont have to have 100 plus poems to notice that.. I only have 27 and I notice it. and btw.. no one ever does comment on my old ones unless i ask. I wish they would comment on those as well.

• Sandra D
    16 years ago

I do it... and them i wonder how i got 5s on it and stuff... lol

• Mandy
    16 years ago

I only have about 50 poems. but i know i have improved since my first poem.

Xo XO
    Mandy

• Becca
    16 years ago

I completely agree. Sometimes I go back and be like... what the heck was I thinking. I have grown so much and I know I'll grow even more now especially since I'm actually sharing my poetry. People can comment on them and tell me how I can do better. So yeah

• Alex D
    16 years ago

Actually one of my best poems I ever wrote was one of my first couple poems so no. I did see that some of my inbetween poems between now and the beginning totally blew though. Lol