Can you tell me how to improve my poetry?

• xxdOnTbReAkMyHeArtxx
    16 years ago

Just some constructive criticizim?

• xxdOnTbReAkMyHeArtxx
    16 years ago

Anyone?

• xxdOnTbReAkMyHeArtxx
    16 years ago

Pretty please :D

• ABake
    16 years ago

Nope.
    No one can change how you write.
    Only you.
    You just need to write and write and maybe just maybe you will get better.

For some writers, poetry is natural.
    They don't have to try and write. They just do.
    You can't say "Help me, I want to write better"
    Read the articles.
    Write more.

That's all the advice I can give.
    :)

XxAmberxX

• Veamm
    16 years ago

Write and write..be yourself...

• Gary Jurechka
    16 years ago

Greetings,
    Not sure if this will help, but I had posted a topic entitled NOTES ON WRITING POETRY(there are so many topics on the subjects included-individual topics posted elsewhere, but I believe this is the most broad and inclusive) it's quite lengthy but it covers a variety of topics and has valuable input from many P&Q members. It is not meant to tell you how to write, but to be a place of reference/help/advice to others-a place where many of the questions put forth repeatedly in these forumns is addressed, mainly to offer suggestions on writer's block (tips/exercises on things to break it. Inspiration, ideas, etc.), exercises to spur creativity (whether form, style, type of poem, content, etc.-just some stuff to try when blocked or to try something different), various poetic terms/definitions, a variety of basic stuff and technical stuff, submissions and poetry markets (where/how to submit your work) and perhaps some stuff to improve/expand your writing/poetry and understanding. Unfortunately the thread was locked due to it's length, but it still can be read/accessed under the WRITING POETRY forumn entitled NOTES ON WRITING POETRY or at

http://www.poems-and-quotes.com/discussion/topic.html?topic_id=56674.

I had received many favorable messages/comments on this thread and many requests to start a new thread as a continuation on the things/idea of the NOTES ON WRITING POETRY topic (check out the original Notes On Writing Poetry (at the link given above) for an idea of what type of things others and I posted), so I did respond and start a continuation of that thread.
    The new thread is called NOTES ON WRITING POETRY-Part II and can be found in the WRITING POETRY forumn and is at

http://www.poems-and-quotes.com/discussion/topic.html?topic_id=86274

I am asking all members contribute and post things that could benefit others. Including such things as advice on certain forms, articles, tips on breaking writer's block, recommended reading,the links to sites that contain information, exercises, poetry terms, forms and their defintions, etc. basically anything pertaining to poetry writing. Also your personal writing habits (I've found people like to read about not only advice/suggestions but also the personal writing/working habits of different writers), like what time of day you write, do you have a favorite place (inside or outside, even more specific), do you listen to music while you write,when you first started writing, do you write rough drafts on the computer or with pen and paper, do you revise rough drafts or leave it as is, have you been published, what your influences are (other poets, writers, songwriters,teachers, etc.), is solitude necesary to you or not, what compels you to write, emotions, passion, to get an idea or meaning across, do you write for yourself or with someone in mind, how and when you started writing, writing as therapy or release, do you have a preferred form /style(sonnets, rhyme, free verse, haiku, etc.) and why, writing exercises, any other advice(personal or technical),if you could write any advice, as to why and how you write,when you started writing, what compels you, any specific methods and motivations, any personal methods, moods, habits and philosophies, advice to others,and other things I mentioned, and MAINLY what poetry means to you. Any advice to newcomers and established poets alike. I hope to hear/see postings from those popular and more experienced/knowledgable on the site as well as those newer members who have something to add. I welcome and appreciate any comments along these lines from any and all P&Q members-everyone has something to say. So if anyone can add anything at all along these lines, please do so.I hope to see a wide variety of age, countries, opinions, styles and opinions. Don't be shy. I feel any input/comments/advice/opinions would very much benefit others.

So hopefully there is something here for everyone. Worth reading through(I hope).
    Even if you don't care to add to it, it is still worthwhile to read for all the information/advice/exercises/tips it has. I'm sure, given all the information plus the comments/contributions of esteemed P&Q members, that this thread has something to offer everyone, whether it is a specific question or just gaining knowledge. At least that is it's purpose. Though as I said, it is quite lengthy, but well worth sifting through. I hope this helps.

Thank you for your time and support.

Peace, Poetry & Power,

Gary Jurechka