Starting a new poem

• lish
    16 years ago

How do you start a poem when you know what your going to write about but you just cant get the poem to start right

• sibyllene
    16 years ago

Don't start at the beginning. Just start writing wherever you feel it. You can always go back later and put something before. writing the part that you know might also help give you a new perspective from which to write the beginning.

• Sweet Fragility
    16 years ago

Agreed. Usually i write on the computer via Microsoft word so i can just write and fix later on. Don't go crazy over the beginning, just write whatever comes to mind.

• Adelle
    16 years ago

Keep a note book that you can write ideas in when you have the idea for a poem just scribble down what ur thinking then begin the poem it should just come to you because you have planed it.

• njabulo b
    16 years ago

Thats is also the problem i have, sometimes i just have a lot in my mind but found that i dont know how to start.

• Rachel
    16 years ago

Yeah pretty much if you already have a great idea in your head, or just a really good line or 2 or w.e. (that woudnt work for a beginning) then just start your poem off with that and then build onto it from there. that way your poems will always have exactly what you wanted and will never exclude any of your good idea

• Emi
    16 years ago

The first phrase the pops into my head usually does the trick. But usually I change it later because it's boring or it lacks descriptiveness.

• Veamm
    16 years ago

Same as mine i don't usually start at the beginning, i just chat down my ideas then ill rearrange it after then..

• Baby Rainbow
    16 years ago

I often get that, i think of two lines that i want to be in the poem, whatever its about and then work around them .

• Rachel
    16 years ago

Try to find a few lines that you like (that doesnt have to be the beginning) and then built on around it from there