Old Habbits Die Hard

• Rachel
    16 years ago

How do I get out of the habit of writing the same boring poems? Whenever I try to write a new poem it always ends up being alot like my other ones. Same sort of story line and same rhyming scheme. I need help!

• Veamm
    16 years ago

Try to look for deep words...

• Gem
    16 years ago

Try writing in a different form where the old rules don't apply. A haiku or a palindrome?

• Kevin
    16 years ago

Find a well known author whom you like and read lots of their poems. Absorb their style and play around with it.

Brain McCabe and TS Eliot are very good for inspiration I find.

• Leah20
    16 years ago

Take a walk in the woods. Analyze everything, it'll drive you crazy for a while, but it will help you become more aware of the world outside your own personal realm of understanding.

• Void
    16 years ago

Well, looks like you've already recieved alot of help in this area so I figure you're okay... but here I am anyway.
    Try taking one of your old poems, and changing it.. Set up a New rhyme scheme before hand, and switch your lines around to fit it... Or maybe find different words to explain the same thing... Once you can find a different rhythm for yourself, try to find a different subject for yourself...
    Change might come as a big gust of new-found inspiration to some, but there's those of us who have to think outside the box one corner at a time.
    Pick your least favourite thing about your writing, and focus on that first. If it's your rhythm, your rhyme, your set up, your stanza's, your words (if so just find a thesaurus and practice at changing up some of them).. maybe it's the story or the reason you wrote your poems that isn't quite making you pleased with your write. Maybe you just need to read more of other's people and see more of the world of poetry for yourself.
    You'd be surprised how much you can do.

• claire
    16 years ago

Try something totally new - if you normally write about emotions, describe something worth describing, even if its cliche - like a tree, the ocean, your best friend. or tell a story. if you normally tell a story, describle a single emotion or feeling instead of telling info. and maybe try freevers - when you go back to rhyming, youll be more open-minded.

• claire
    16 years ago

Try something totally new - if you normally write about emotions, describe something worth describing, even if its cliche - like a tree, the ocean, your best friend. or tell a story. if you normally tell a story, describle a single emotion or feeling instead of telling info. and maybe try freevers - when you go back to rhyming, youll be more open-minded.

• claire
    16 years ago

• Spirit
    16 years ago

Look at poems that are no in your usual range

• Twisted Heart
    16 years ago

Dave's got a good idea. PM someone and ask them for a title. Someone did that to me and I gave them a title that I couldn't work with. However, she did quite well with it. lol.

• homebound
    16 years ago

I know what u mean! I do it too. it took me a while to get out of it but i looked for situations outta the blue to talk about and worded it into a poem. it ended up being my best one!

• Boy
    16 years ago

Listen music, read more poems of others. and think about the person to who you love. those all will help you in poetry.

• Baby Rainbow
    16 years ago

I think if you look more at others and try to understand the different styles it will help x