I can't stop

• Independence Forever
    16 years ago

I started on poems and quotes on the 2nd of jauary this year. i was dead set on beating my friends jon, kate, and aaron.

now i've done that, except i see others and now i want to beat them, and i'm comming close too. but then again all of the people who are better than me have been here atleast since mid to early 2006, most of them since 2005

but when i bea them then who else is there? who do i have to beat then? i set out to write 100 poems by my first anniversary, when that happened i short for 200, i'm not there yet but what happens if i do beat that? do i strive for 200 more next year?

• Independence Forever
    16 years ago

I started out with soome terrible poems but now everyone likes my new ones

• Independence Forever
    16 years ago

How do i stop though?

• Independence Forever
    16 years ago

I do that too though. if i wrote poems just for winning i would have won by now. it's not enough just to win numerically. winning means showing the calibur of what i'm writing as an extra slap in the face.

oh great i'm no closer to stopping than when i started

• Independence Forever
    16 years ago

I am at a 4.6 rating, with 151 poems, 29 quotes, two silver awards, 1 gold award, and one platinum award

i've also been in two clubs but i felt they were holding me back, and it turns out i was right. no offense to emotions unleashed and CC&P but they did nothing to help me and now that i'm off their clubs i'm doing way better.

now i'm trying to start my own poetry club but the site is all messed up so i have to wait and all that jazz

• Independence Forever
    16 years ago

Why do you think i like sylar so much?

• Independence Forever
    16 years ago

That poetry club will be the death of me.

i also have the two highest rated independence day poems and the third highest rated death poem

• Independence Forever
    16 years ago

Thanks alot

• Independence Forever
    16 years ago

Oh thanks tasteless, you make me feel SO much better

• Normal is the Watchword
    16 years ago

It's cus you have Sylar as an avatar! For Heroes fans you'll know why I said this :)

• Independence Forever
    16 years ago

What can i say, if it profits me i'll do anything, even blow up new york

• Normal is the Watchword
    16 years ago

Illu! Silly, he was referencing Heroes!

The guy in his avie is Sylar from Heroes, which is about a bunch of every day people with super powers who have to stop an exploding man from accidentally blowing up new york.

• Independence Forever
    16 years ago

I'm all caught up, it only took me a day to watch the last half of the series and the first three episodes of the second season

• sibyllene
    16 years ago

Hey there Davy Jones.

I'm kind of surprised by you. I've always pegged you as a gentleman who would perhaps be concerned with proving his calibur and honor to himself, but simply to beat others? Why the preoccupation with "slapping them in the face?" It seems to me that a confident -man- would have no need to flaunt his ability.

If you like to write, then by all means, write what you will. But if you're doing it primarily to "win" a game that only you are playing, then I'd have to mourn the death of the soul of your poetry. I hope I'm mistaken.

• Independence Forever
    16 years ago

I had an epiphany, someone told me that instead of trying to beat others i should constantly beat myself.

i think i'll try that, then i'll be more docile and i'll never lose either

• sibyllene
    16 years ago

: D It's true. Though losing can be good for you, sometimes. Come on, man, hand to hand combat, you and me, right now.

• Independence Forever
    16 years ago

Ah why not, i'm evil enough

• sibyllene
    16 years ago

Get ready to be humbled, boy ; )

• Independence Forever
    16 years ago

No one can stop me

• sibyllene
    16 years ago

You are obviously not affiliated with the power of feminine wiles.

• Independence Forever
    16 years ago

I've had my share of it, and let's just say i laugh at it, well i sort of make jokes behind it's back but you get the idea

• sibyllene
    16 years ago

Heh heh heh... no man really understands.

But anyway, enough fighting as a woman; I have been granted the title of "Gentleman" in certain circles, and that seems like a more fair fight, to me.

• Independence Forever
    16 years ago

No such thing as a fair fight.

fair fights are for people who intend to lose

• sibyllene
    16 years ago

Oh, so not a gentleman, are we? Fine, I'll go back to fighting as a woman.

• Independence Forever
    16 years ago

I prefer wrestling with girls anyway

• sibyllene
    16 years ago

That's the intention, sir.

• Independence Forever
    16 years ago

Sir, hmm, i like to say sir, i'll be like hello sir, no sir, yes sir, that is correct sir

• Gary Jurechka
    16 years ago

Writing to beat someone is like writing for money, it doesn't work that way (yeah money and victory are sweet, but can be empty and untrue to yourself and your art).

I mean, sure, one should set goals perhaps, but in the end the only one you are in competition with is yourself, to improve and expand your understanding, talent and quality of poetry.

Whatever motivates one to write works, but it should always be for the right reasons; for the art, for the passion, for what it means to you within.

Anyone can write a lot of poems, but it is a much better and rarer poet who can create a few truly good/great poems.

If you really feel the need for more of a challenge, go to where the challenge really is- getting published in the literary magazines-the poetry markets. Start out with the small presses and work your way up. Sites like P&Q are really great and I love this site and the people, but basically anybody can post anything, good and/or bad, but when you submit to the markets you're competing with thousands of others and the decision lies in what the editors decide is worthy to accept/publish (this doesn't mean they are always right though, merely their opinion/preference). I speak from experience here; throughout the late 80's and up to this moment, I have been well published (over 1200 pieces) and well known in the small press literary scene, I even was editor/publisher of my own zine for five years (1995-2000). I am not trying to brag here, just pointing out where the true challenge lies. If seriously interested, give it a try, to help get you started I have a posting of how to submit and a listing of many markets in this forum under the title 'Getting Published/Poetry Markets' at:
    http://www.poems-and-quotes.com/discussion/topic.html?topic_id=93220

But mainly I suggest to just write for yourself, for what it means to you and how it makes you feel, and sometimes you find that magical and satisfying goal of touching the hearts and minds of others.

One of my personal favorite credos/sayings has always been, I write because I cannot NOT write.

Peace, Poetry & Power,

Gary Jurechka