Is it True?

• L
    10 years ago

Is it true that our muscles have memory?
    is that link to our brain?

• Poet on the Piano
    10 years ago

Wow Luce, I've never heard this of this before.
    I just searched it on google and read a bit, not sure if this is what you're looking for but it's interesting I think:

This was as of 2010 from npr.org
    "Muscles actually have a memory of their former strength -- and that memory may last indefinitely. The study challenges the idea that muscles go back to their starting condition when you stop strength training. 'Our findings suggest that there are permanent structural changes in the muscle,' says Gundersen. 'We don't know if they're really permanent, but they're very long-lasting in animals, at least.'

The researchers put mice through strength training on their hind legs. Building muscle generates new muscle nuclei, which Gundersen calls the "small factories that will produce new muscle." Then the researchers took the mice off their training regimen.

Gundersen observed their nuclei directly with specialized microcameras, and found that although the mice lost muscle mass, they still maintained the muscle nuclei. Those nuclei give the muscle a head start when training resumes. Although the muscle might bounce back, Gundersen says its ability to develop memory does seem to weaken over time."

• Britt
    10 years ago

Trainers and people who work out consistently have always told me to shake up your workout routines, weights etc because your muscles form a memory and you end up either plateauing with your weight loss, or you don't gain more muscle mass.

• dindee
    10 years ago

Hi pp....

EL.....hehehe...really anatomy and physiology class?????lol...I SALUTE YOU GIRL!!really...idol!! tsk.tsk.tsk..

muscles....memory...

its like learning a new thing and you have to practice and practice it all over again...then your muscles will be able to familiarize the situation and automatically reacts upon it..

it is still neurons..impulses to brains........

and EL...can i ask..or to anyone who knows

...how many seconds it takes the brain to react upon a situation....?or how many seconds does neurons need to relay the impulse to the brain?

sorry i dont know that...really...

=)

• ArtistrySoul
    10 years ago

I concur with what Britt addressed ..... muscles do have memory ( procedural memory), so when you perform a certain action it will react in the same way it did previously, like a repetition to a long-term task you performed before for example when you riding a bike, lift weights, driving...etc every time you do these actions again your brain remembers how to perform these actions like your muscles.

For us guys going to the gym, we tend to shuffle days we do certain workouts e.g. Monday - biceps and shoulders, Tuesday - back and triceps...etc the following week you would maybe do tuesday workout on monday and vice versa or maybe you chose to workout on a different day ....... if you keep doing the same workout your body and muscles get use to the routine, thus shuffling the routine will shock your body and muscles so you will gain muscle mass but also eat protein after a workout as it repairs the muscles a lot quicker.

I would keep going, but I never stop talking so hope this helped =]

\\ //n God speed and prosper!!

• Michael D Nalley
    10 years ago

I have heard you can squeeze the hand of someone in a deep coma and a reflex can make a grip appear to be a conscious response

• Tim
    10 years ago

Yes it's true. Your muscles remember/get used to the frequent activities that they do. And sort of become immune to them, as if they're doing them on auto pilot. They find shot cuts/easy ways of doing them, which uses up less energy.