Storms

• Liz
    6 years ago

Harvey, now Irma.

I don't know where everyone here lives. If anyone here was affected by Harvey, I hope you're able to be back home or safe.

Anyone in the way of Irma, I hope you're all save and evacuating if needed. I have a sister and other family in Puerto Rico. My sister lives in the Northeast side of Puerto Rico and is currently being slammed and it's not even the worst part of it.

Not forgetting the fires in the northwest. Thinking of everyone going through these scary moments!

Britt, I know you live up there. Don't know if you've been affected by the fires, but I hope all is well. <3

• Aegis replied to Liz
    6 years ago

I live in southern Oregon, and I haven't seen the sun in a week. I'm used to a little smoke every year from fires in the area but it's never been this bad. The air quality here yesterday was around 450, almost deadly and the highest in the country:(

• Britt
    6 years ago

Aegis - at one point the other day when the shift went from WA to Multnomah Falls, Oregon literally had the worst air quality in the entire world. It's horrific.

I woke up to ash all over my car - nothing compared to what so many people with evacuations are facing, but scary how close that is. Some 30 miles from where I live. Multnomah Falls lodge was saved, thank God, and the bridge, too. Google Multnomah Falls bridge/falls, it's absolutely gorgeous, and I am completely devastated that it was on fire. The falls remain, but that gorgeous vegetation surrounding - we get lots of rain, so maybe the greenery will be back in a few years.

It's hard to breathe around here. I was working outside for about a half hour and now I'm inside hacking away :( . The sun and moon are bright red from the smoke. Haven't seen the sky in a while. It's absolute insanity to see the fires on a stretch of freeway that we go often. We're used to the wildfires but never usually this close. Central OR got hit hard, too. Montana is in flames. It's heartbreaking to see.

Praying Irma fizzles out a lot by the time it hits more countries. I haven't heard if/when it hits the Caribbean countries. My heart goes out to everyone. I have friends affected by Harvey. What a flippin crapshow, this world is.

• Liz
    6 years ago

That's horrible about the fires. I haven't seen much news coverage on it or heard much about it otherwise until a few days ago. I can't imagine how devastating it must be. I hope you guys stay safe!

As far as Irma, I read it pretty much destroyed the small island of Barbuda and a couple other ones. Now they're preparing for Jose, another hurricane getting stronger and following the same path.

My sister is safe, minus all the flooding. Puerto Rico is predicted to be without power for months, so that won't be any fun.

Here's the latest I've read: https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/hurricane-irma/hurricane-irma-skirts-puerto-rico-lashing-it-powerful-winds-flooding-n799086

• hiraeth replied to Liz
    6 years ago

Glad to hear your sisters fine.

British Columbia's apparently had a record season in wildfires, and is estimated to take up to 5 years for the lumber industry to recover, I can't imagine how the areas affected by the pacific northwest fires are doing. There's also another hurricane forming in the gulf of mexico, hurricane katia, I think it's projected to spiral in and out of Mexico and back into the gulf.

Stay safe everyone!

• Michael
    6 years ago

I wish all of you the love of safety, in that seasonal phenomenon.
    I hope the storm blows way a way.

Thoughts of love peace to all

Much love Michael xx

• silvershoes
    6 years ago

"What a flippin crapshow, this world is."

Couldn't have said it better myself. I hope everyone is safe, as well as all of your loves ones.

• Milly Hayward
    6 years ago

Some of our members are in Florida and haven't been evacuated. Sending prayers, best wishes and hopes for their safety

• mossgirl19
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

Sending love and prayers to our friends affected by the storm and may the Lord keep them safe.

• Maple Tree
    6 years ago

I have family in Florida, my cousin Cindy has borded up her house....ugh.

• nouriguess
    6 years ago

Oh god, I hope everyone is safe. Saw pictures on Facebook, it's SO scary.

• Milly Hayward
    6 years ago

Weve had an update from Ken and his family saying that they are still at home in Florida and that whilst Irma first hit Naples Florida, then Marco Island
    which reduced the Storm to a Cat 3. by the time it got to them in the West it had weakened to a Cat 2. They still faced horrific winds and there was the real fear of the
    Storm surge but this died down and they dogged the bullet. They asked me to pass on thier thanks and appreciation for everyones prayers and kind thoughts .

• silvershoes replied to Milly Hayward
    6 years ago

Milly, thank you for letting us know! You must be so relieved.

• Michael D Nalley replied to silvershoes
    6 years ago

Now I am wondering How post tropical Ophelia will effect Ireland.

• Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

Ophelia cuts straight across my mom's childhood home in Galway.