Weekly Contest Results 9/11/17

• PnQ Mod Account
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

Congratulations to Mark, whose poem was a clear winner with 20 points, followed by Milly's and Kitty's winning poems, tied up at 11 points. There were no ties this week that affected the front page winners -- what a relief! [By the way, if anyone can figure out how ties are automatically broken by the site, you have the mods' appreciation because we are stumped. We've tested multiple hypotheses, and the moment we think we've cracked the code, a poem wins that breaks it.] Thanks also to our dedicated judges and sub judges (the mod squad) who work hard to keep this site in tip-top-ship-shape, running order. We're all in this together!
    Congrats to the honorable mentions this week in addition to the winners :) Well done, all. - Jane

COMMENTS FOR WINNERS:

Lemon Drop Kid
    by Mark

"This poem By Mark took me back to my years in senior school.
    I was not what you would call one of the "in kids" and certainly not one of the popular ones. However I made a friend all those years ago who has stayed with me as a friend. We have never dated but even now I still think there is a glint.
    This poem snapped me back through decades and I do mean decades. That is without a shadow of doubt the skill of the poet.
    I have a little smile on my face as a result.
    Thank you for rekindling memories and prompting me to message said friend.
    The structure and format of the poem are story like and you wish for the next chapter. I hope there are many more to follow.
    Excellently written and formed." (10)

"This is one of those stories that will touch anyone’s heart. Though the title suggests something else, the story weaved around it is simply heart warming and very precious. It really made me want to read till the end and rather then stopping halfway and that’s how good this poem has been delivered…excellent!" (10)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Soundtrack Of My Life
    by Kitty Cat Lady

"Usually I'm not one for long pieces because I seem to go off track when reading them but this one was just right in length especially at it kept an unforced rhyming throughout and the message that this gave out was a strong one, one that we could all take heed of because it's inspirational and though this lady has had obstacles to overcome she's done it with sheer strength. I take my hat off to you for an inspirational yet raw fluent write and wish you all the best." (7)

"I choose this as one of my favorite 3 this week because it shows the endurance, the spirit and the will of humanity to overcome.
    What some will see as a barrier others see as a challenge to be overcome. The author quite clearly has done this and has shared the story of such. The explanation behind the poem is something of a bonus.
    The rhyming in this poem is excellent but I think the addition of a word here or there would have helped it flow a little easier, although it still works rather well.
    Thank you for giving us an insight to your world and I hope the boffins create even better devices for you.
    A very inspiring write." (4)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mother in-laws Visit
    by Milly Hayward

"This is indeed a joyful read and so very entertaining! I guess this is a universal feeling for all daughter in laws and I’m sure everyone out there can relate to it! We have to fight to get their approval but the one thing that we don’t need approval or worry about is the love the husbands have for their wives. Liked the flow and rhyme…beautifully done!" (7)

"This was a fun piece that certainly got the reader’s attention from the first stanza. I believe the humor here is effective because of well-managed rhymes. I love the playful flow. The ending was certainly a punch…taking kitchen knives away! Mother in-law must really test the patience of our speaker here, to lead her to the knives. Great stuff!" (4)

COMMENTS FOR HONORABLE MENTIONS:

The Capeless Crusader:
    by Scott Cole

"Scott has been on a role recently but this piece struck a real chord with me as I have known the affects cancer has first hand not just for the person suffering but for those loved ones around them too, it seems cancer has no prisoners and doesn't care (if it could) how it affects people and those around them. I like how Scott shows the power of this disease by comparing it to super heroes because it has a strength no of us know of ever will know. Scott's rhyming is as ever spot on too." (10)

Breathless Days (acrostic/Sonnet)
    by Kasie

"A sonnet and an acrostic rolled into one…wow! I say wow because this piece was absolutely seamless! It was wonderfully done, a sonnet that reads very well, not sounding forced by any bit. Sonnets alone are a challenge, what more also make it as an acrostic…I say Kasie’s writing skills are really commendable. A relatable subject matter too! Thematic organization spot-on! Everything about this piece is amazing." (10)

Acorns, Midnight and Other Muses
    by Maple Tree

"Andrea spills her cup of creativity onto the canvass and penned this absolutely beautiful poem filled with imagery. I found it to be the perfect personification of autumn coupled with personal meaning of what autumn means to Andrea, and other truths in her life. I just wanted to say that the verses “I've nestled within sorrow for so long/
    that I've forgotten the taste of nature” painted an image of a bear rousing from hibernation. Well done, Andrea!" (10)

Am I dreaming
    by Em

"This is such a beautiful poem by our Em.
    It speaks to me of giving yourself to someone and allowing yourself to trust, when in the past that trust has been misplaced and abused.
    I could write volumes on this poem but they are totally unnecessary as many have voiced my opinions already.
    I think all would all agree "lovely" is enough.
    Thank you for sharing this with us all." (7)

Seasons of You
    by Mandy Earl

"A breathtaking piece, beautifully crafted incorporating the seasons. I love the beautiful language. How it structured was beautiful too, allowing the piece to flow very well. Vivid imagery with a tinge of sensuality created a wonderful tone. Great work!" (7)

Whose fault is it?
    by Mini

"This narrative was a heartbreaking one, it’s prevalent within society and it’s absolutely infuriating to think of how in certain areas of the world it’s normalized (although it slowly is changing). This is a trauma that a lot of people go through, and for a significant amount of them, justice never arrives." (7)

Life starts
    by Brenda

"Brenda may not write as often as we'd like but when she writes it's with a strength that only people who have been through such horrible times will understand. Her words and her layout are perfect, as ever, in my eyes. I find myself saying again this week well done on sharing and overcoming these challenges head on - you are an inspirational lady." (4)

Psychology Says
    by Sai

"An intriguing write in spite of it being short, the narrative is something that can be related to by many people as it details the slow drifting of two people. It’s an extremely heartbreaking event to go through, especially when you’re conscious of it occurring and are trying to do something to remedy it." (4)

smudge
    by Em

"Such a painful episode in one’s life and to share it and bring it out in the open takes a lot of courage and even though the
    hurt and scar is still there…only time can heal but not the memories. A touching write." (4)

• mossgirl19
    6 years ago

A big congratulations to all our front-page winners and to our HMs as well! A very great week I must say, with almost everyone using up their nominations! A really great thing to have old members become active again!

Thank you Jane for hosting, to our mods and judges, thank you.

Just want to re-echo what Jane said, we are all in this together! :-)

• Kitty Cat Lady
    6 years ago

I'm so delighted to have won! Thanks so much to Mel for nominating me and to the judges for their fantastic and constructive comments ... it's hugely appreciated and I'm very proud x

Congratulations too to Mark and Milly and all the other nominations and HMs

Thanks also to Jane for hosting, and to everyone that volunteers their time to getting it all together each week .. I'm still fairly new but am finding it to be an amazing and supportive community and that can only work with all those who keep it together behind the scenes! :-)

Kitty =^.^=

• Em

Firstly I'd like to say what an extremely fantastic week of poetry.

Jane thank you for hosting this week.

Judges thanks for the time you put in each week. Thanks to those who nominated such a wonderful selection of poetry too, I do love how diverse we all are it makes us different but in a good way.

Lastly congratulations to the front page winners and HMs and thanks judges for my wonderful comments :)

• Mark
    6 years ago

Congratulations to all winners and HMs and thankyou to Scott for nominating. Also greatly appreciate the time and comments from the judges!

• Brenda
    6 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's. Thank you judges for my HM, I am delighted and humbled by the warm words about my poem. Em, thank you for nominating and Jane for hosting. Mostly thank you judges for your tireless dedication to this site and its weekly contest. You have a tough job trying to pick through all these amazing writes.

• Lucifer
    6 years ago

Congratulations Mark (our lemon drop kid), kitty, Milly and the HM's, not including me.

Thanks, To those who nominated such beautiful poems.

To those, who are behind every single breath of the pnq (the mods, developers).

And finally, thanks to those who always go through such tough decisions.
    A big salute for the judges.

• Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

Thanks to the judges and to the sub-judges; thank you Jane for posting

Congrats to the Winners and to the HMs.

• Milly Hayward

Thank you to Ken for my nomination and to everyone who read, comnented and voted on my poem enabling my win. It really does feel like Christmas morning getting the best present in the world. Congratulations to everyone who got a win or an HM and thanks to all the judges for their time and comments (its not an easy task choosing when there are so many high quality poems being submitted). Thanks to all the people who read, nominate, comment and vote and to the moderators who work tirelessly behind the scenes to make this site run smoothly.

I feel so proud to be a member of P&Q because nowhere else on the net is there a poetry site that has so quite so many talented people dedicated to offering freely so much time and support and who do so much to inspire others to produce ever better poetry.

• Meena Krish replied to Milly Hayward
    6 years ago

Congratulations to the front page Winners and all the HM's!! Good work guys :)

Thank you judges and thanks Jane for hosting :)

• CJ Maleney
    6 years ago

Hey up all sorry for my delay, it's been an uuhhhmm interesting couple of days. (He says gritting teeth)

Anyway

Congrats to all our winners and honorable mentions, also to all nominated. Again Stirling works.

On a personal level can I send hugs to Milly Hayward, Deeplydisturbed and Maple Tree for popping my stuff up there for consideration. Ladies I thank you.

Again gotta big up our judges and moderators. Guys your efforts ate much appreciated.

Regards all

Craig