Weekly Contest Winners - September 25, 2017!

• Poet on the Piano
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

Hello, everyone! Hope you all have a fantastic week and are doing well. Such talented poets highlighted this week and I want to thank the amazing judges, as well as each and every one of you for sharing your poetry. Congrats to both winners and HM’s!

WINNERS:

“A Lullaby” by: Mark 10 + 10 + 10 = 30 points

“I’m Fine” by: Kitty Cat Lady 10 + 4 = 14 points

“Ambivalence” by: Aegis 10 + 4 = 14 points

COMMENTS:

“A Lullaby” by: Mark

“Mark has a beautiful way of writing and out of his pieces that were nominated thins week this one stood out to me for its beautiful serene feel to it which in my eyes felt nostalgic, raw, honest and pretty personal possibly for a love or just genuinely for us all because we all need some uplifting some times. Well done on another beautiful piece.” (10)

- - - - - - - -

“This is quite possibly one of the sweetest things I have read in recent times.

There have been many tales of heartache and woe, many of love, so many of loss.
    Tales of turbulent pasts and the uncertainty of futures.

This poem by Mark takes us on a different journey. The love of a parent for a child. The hope and the desire for them to be happy, to be everything they dream of. To achieve and enjoy while doing so.

The pride and love of a parent!

I hope and I know you are proud of your little one even though, I think they are perhaps not so little anymore.

Still I and every other soul reading this will want to slide down a rainbow.

It's just beautiful.” (10)

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Mark really writes in a unique and beautiful language. I love the beautiful vocabulary and wonderful flow of this write…there is a tenderness and a sweetness to this that is very inviting…I longed for sleep after reading this. Sleep is a real struggle for some people; this piece was a beautiful medication. Lovely write as ever.” (10)

“I’m Fine” by: Kitty Cat Lady

“The honest lie, the promise of irony. The fact is that too many relationships are based on just this tacit agreement: ask if I’m okay, I’ll tell you yes and we will both blithely ignore each other’s lies. Yes, “each others” because by asking he seeks not the truth but the agreed upon lie. Why stay in such a relationship? It’s easier than starting over. It’s safer than putting yourself “out there.” There are many reasons, none of them good. The poem captures the frustration and despite the commitment, you get the feeling the tolerance is close to ending.” (10)

- - - - - - - - - - - -

"I'm Fine"

The fall back answer many will so often give when they simply are not.

Pride, stubbornness and the desire to show that we don't need that significant other can initiate this response.
    Inside we could be screaming "help me please" but I'm fine, OK or good is what will trip off tongues.
    However it means more. It shows an inner strength, a will and an attitude that will endure and overcome.

I really liked this poem and its rhyming. Very well worded and an excellently worked powerful piece.

Well done.” (4)

“Ambivalence” by: Aegis

“I live for the brevity of this piece! It feels effortless and leaves me just on the cusp of wanting more…

Here, on the first day of fall it was actually one of the hottest days of the year, especially in regards to the humidity. The cool, crisp air felt so far away. I enjoy when writers make that connection with the elements, when they personify nature and make it that more relatable.

In regards to the title… I remember learning “ambivalence” as one of my vocab words in high school. It was interesting to me and I especially liked the sound of the word itself. Fluctuation. Uncertainty. Something that actually describes a part of me today.

I resonated with this piece quite deeply, as I can sometimes have a loud personality and often times my emotions play out before me and others without me consciously being able to put them aside or assess them. That hesitancy sometimes is absent and can be brutal in ways.

Such a breath of fresh air to read. Thanks for sharing with us.” (10)

- - - - - - - - - - -

“Storms biting their tongues - brilliant! The juxtaposition of this “hesitation” with the author’s inability to hold back is perfect: the power of a storm with no cognitive path versus the weakness of the one who will not accept tact as an option.” (4)

HM’S:

“Heavily Here” by: Ben Packard (7)

“I am afraid” by: Michael (7)

“Dark Tower” by: Paul (7)

“Ghosts of Times Forgotten” by: Evanescent Moon (7)

“A young night’s passion” by: Meena (7)

“I'm tired” by: Kryptonite Dreamer (4)

“Falling in love” by: Beautiful Tragedy (4)

“Bear the Full Weight of This, Love” by: BlueJay (4)

COMMENTS:

“Heavily Here” by: Ben Packard

“What the author paints here is a sad indictment of humanity. As an advocate of the earth he would represent well.

We all want our pretty house in our nice sheltered community. Safe from harm, if such a thing is truly possible!

Still how many jump in their car to go to the Mall or convenience store for something miniscule, When it is a but a short walk away. Often only a block or two.

So you turn your key and drive. Why?

This poem does not give answers but it asks questions of us all.

This is a very well-structured work with imagery that can't be ignored by those who understand the impact we make.” (7)

“I am afraid” by: Michael

“Such a provoking piece, as it may seem so simple to say, oh I'm not afraid of this or that, but the matter isn't always black or white.

I liked the depth you brought out into this piece. I hear countless people talk about their fear of death, but I remember growing up not fearing death itself but the circumstances around it. Would fear be my great demise? Would death be a consolation or serve as an eternity I could never escape. There were so many deeper, darker secrets surrounding fear.

I relate as well with fearing heartbreak. What is incredible about the human race is our ability to love, but if that love is rejected, if that love is not reciprocated, we have to find somewhere or someone else to give that love. We can't keep living off of giving and not have anyone give to US.

I feel self-awareness and self-acceptance in this piece though, especially the closing lines. Because even if we fear fear itself, if we can know and embrace who we are, that we belong deeply to ourselves, that will be stronger than fear.

Powerfully insightful piece.” (7)

“Dark Tower” by: Paul

“The struggle of the speaker in this poem is deeply felt, thanks to the short and yet very concise structure. The opening lines set the tone perfectly for me. It totally hit home, describing that feeling when you are entangled in your thoughts/dreams while in another scenario… crazy because you are more aware of your thoughts than your physical surroundings. ‘The dark weight that monkey rides my back’ was a little funny at first read, but yet as true as anyone who has suffered depression or heartbreak will agree with it. Absolutely felt the last stanza heavily, it was very effective. Great work!” (7)

“Ghosts of Times Forgotten” by: Evanescent Moon

“This piece by evanescent moon is just pure genius, the imagery is astounding as is the fluent rhyming and the wording is just wow... It speaks volumes to me and seamlessly gave me goosebumps with its majestic, peaceful feel that really touched me with the imagery that seemed to come to life with each word.” (7)

“A young night’s passion” by: Meena

“Formed poems are always a challenge, not because of the form itself, but in making the conformity to the form meaningful. Here, the Waltz Wave is like foreplay, slow and stately. The Sedoka is the consummation, fevered and dynamic. Well done!” (7)

“I'm tired” by: Kryptonite Dreamer

“I can see how it can be condescending or a bit problematic to say “wow, I really admire you for your honesty” because in most cases, the writer isn't looking to be admired, appreciated or placated by responses like that. It's enough to be able to write out how you feel.

At the end of the day, the beauty of writing lies in the writer’s freedom to choose… some suggestions will help and can build both the writer and poem, and other times, these suggestions have good intentions but remain just that. They don't get put into further action.

I connected with that darkness you spoke of. It would be so cruel to have to filter our minds, to only post the positive and happy….because, let's face it, that's not reality. And when you grow up from certain experiences, to you get tired of sugarcoating and hiding the pain. What you wrote actually reminded me of a hip hop artist that I've been listening to for years. When he was just becoming successful, he was often criticized for making his music include so many negatives, for not having a Christian centered theme. But his whole purpose in his music is to be real. There's nothing worse in my mind than having to fake and pretend for the public eye. I would rather be hated or unpopular.

You expressed that madness and frustration I know I have faced in my own way, and others have as well. There definitely came a point when I questioned the content I was writing about, then I imagined the audience, and now, I realize it's about catharsis to me. I could care less who is in the audience. And that may sound selfish to others but words heal, and when you finally have that power to pen your emotions, it can get you through hell.

Keep doing you; keep writing to please no one.

Oh and side note, I couldn't help but notice that in your eighth line, “there” should be “their”... but of course, that is totally up to you what to do with that
    Who am I to criticize? ;)

(4)

“Falling in love” by: Beautiful Tragedy

“I really love how falling in love was compared to falling asleep. I just realized how true it is. Falling in love is so natural for every human being to do; it’s not something we can help ourselves not to. This piece is sweetly worded; it just flowed beautifully, so naturally that it touched me. Great write!” (4)

“Bear the Full Weight of This, Love” by: BlueJay

“Blue as a real way with words that always tells this hidden story where you have to read between the lines for a better interpretation and this is no exception and it's one of the reasons I like this so much it oozes nostalgia and longing.” (4)

• Kitty Cat Lady
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

Just to say that I'm absolutely thrilled to have a winning poem this week ... there were sooo many that I loved, but especially Mark's Lullaby.
    Congratulations to everyone nominated and receiving HMs and to Mark and Aegis.
    Huge thanks also to the judges and hosts for their precious time, and to Dagmar for nominating me. It really is appreciated x
    Kitty =^.^=

• Ben Pickard
    6 years ago

Congratulations, all and thank you to the judges for their time.

• CJ Maleney
    6 years ago

Wow go Mark 3 x 10 don't think I've seen that before mucho impressdo dude.

Congrats to our other winners and honorable mentions too.

Big thank you to Jamie for popping fireflies up there with them.

Once again thank you to the back room staff for all your hard work,

Craig

• mossgirl19
    6 years ago

Wow, congratulations, Mark! Kitty and Aegis as well. Congrats to all our HMs.

Wonderful week and thank you Mary Anne for hosting, thanks to the Mods and Judges too.

• Brenda
    6 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! Amazing writes all around. MaryAnne, thank you for hosting and as always the judges for having to make the hard choices.

• Michael
    6 years ago

Hi all

Congratulations to all the winners including HMs
    Thank you Miss Milly for my nomination, which achieved a HM
    and to the judges for time to read such wonderful poems and comment given

Much love
    Michael :)x

• Mark
    6 years ago

Very grateful to the judges for their time and comments. Congratulations to all winners and HMs. Thankyou to Nams and Scott for nominating my work.

• Meena Krish
    6 years ago

Congratulations to the Winners and HM's!
    Thank you judges for your time and comments,
    thanks MA for hosting and thank you BlueJay for the
    nomination!