You Are Welcome

• Everlasting
    6 years ago

Uhmm well, I have just read through some posts not everything. I’m not entirely sure what’s going on... however, I just created this thread because I wanted to say you are welcome to post in here. You can post randomness or whatever

Like for instance the other day i meant to write something but I fell asleep. So upon waking up, I wondered, “ Is this what writers block is like? Is it like a block falls upon your head and bang! Suddenly, you are knock out ?”

• hiraeth replied to Everlasting
    6 years ago

Haha, if that was the case we would just need to wear a helmet and no more writer's block :p

• ddavidd
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

o dear As much as I am dying to poison your thread with all this because your title begs for it, but I appreciate you taking part from all this I am laughing my head off . Because honestly I am not really The ddavidd.
    So I ask you the permission: can I reflect on some controversial subject in your thread??

• silvershoes

I think we should let this thread remain light, Ddavidd, out of respect for the genuineness of its creator. Let it be a beacon. Perhaps now is a great opportunity to churn out poetry that gets all of your thoughts and feelings out.

Everlasting, I have had writer's block for years. I don't know how to begin, fill in, or finish a poem anymore. It feels like I've lost a piece of myself. Wow, that sounded way darker than I intended haha. I still have the drive and inspiration, but I don't know how to put it down without it seeming like I'm writing an essay. I've become too literal. Lately, I am writing simple lyrics and dense paragraphs, which do not translate to quality poems.

• ddavidd

That is fine by me

• Poet on the Piano
    6 years ago

That has happened to me, all too often! Or I feel like my subconscious is telling me something of importance in my dreams, and when I wake, there's no solid thing I can build off of. It's like there's a taste in my mouth or a trace of a memory... but it's too intangible. Too illusive.

• Everlasting replied to hiraeth

Haha if i go by that, i have to say that I must be wearing a defective helmet lol
    (Sometimes , it protects me and then sometimes it doesn’t. Jaja)

I also used to wonder before what the writer’s block was...

And whenever I thought about it, rather, when I was first introduced to the term, I imagined a block. You know, like the definition “ the area bounded by four streets in a town or suburb.”

My first image and feeling when someone told me, “ you have a writers block” was to think of me no longer being able to walk around that block. I felt like i could not walk nor run, as if I was paralyze while everyone else went around that block. I was in shocked. The worst is that I kept thinking about those words “you have a writer’s block” and in my mind I kept thinking, “ oh well, it’s pointless to have/own a block when I cannot walk around it.” So, i kept pondering and thinking what one could do with a block? A block wasn’t just for walking on it, right? So I imagine more, nd suddenly, I imagine myself at the roof of the tallest building in that block... so I started to observe what was in that block. So with my imagination, i started running my eyes around it... and walking that block until I was somewhere else. I no longer had that writer’s block. Lol i somehow lost it. I walk too far away from it.

So I wonder, is that what writer’s block is meant to do? Is it meant to kind of paralyze you and leave you in shock? Kind of like depress you?

• Everlasting replied to ddavidd
    6 years ago

Hmm reflect?

Sure! But please try to reflect it as clear as a mirror reflects an image. :D

Otherwise, I might not be able to see what you are trying to reflect.

• Everlasting replied to silvershoes
    6 years ago

At least you’re are writing, so sooner or later you’ll have that feeling of how to start and finish a poem.

Though, a question that just came to mind, and that I think it has been discuss before on the threads, but it doesn’t hurt to ask your opinion, do you think a poem is ever finished?

• Everlasting replied to Poet on the Piano
    6 years ago

I know that feeling... so what do you do about it? How do you shake it off?

• Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

I love your analogy, Luce. Never considered writers block as a city block. Love your solution to it as well.

I always thought of it as a pipe that is blocked, not letting the creative juices flow. Or perhaps, now, it might be like a nerve block, where they deaden a nerve to stop the pain. Ironic.

I have often faced a blank page or screen and not have any idea what to write. My solution each time was a choice: come back later or just follow a stream of consciousness until a pattern emerges.

• Poet on the Piano replied to Everlasting
    6 years ago

I think just the possibility of starting fresh. Or sometimes free-writing, because eventually, there is something in my thoughts I can pull from. I remember in my poetry class in college where we started each class with 3 minutes of free-writing, where your pen couldn't stop. I remembered it helped me get a lot of frustrations out and it helped me also process WHY I was so upset/angry or whatever emotion.

• Milly Hayward replied to Poet on the Piano
    6 years ago

My head is always full of thoughts pretty much all the time. It's like a pneumatic still that never seems to stop. However...quite often I feel inspiration tickling the corners of my mind and imagine myself writing a brilliant poem with lots of metaphors and rolling emotion. I sit down and nothing. Not one single metaphor or magical theme. It's disappointing. I wish there was a school that taught how to write a themed poem or how to create a poem rich in metaphors. It feels like when your learning to drive a car and you can't quite get to grips with the gears lol except it's not gears it's metafores and themes lol

• mossgirl19 replied to Milly Hayward
    6 years ago

I feel you, Milly! I also have that feeling like I am going to write something fab but end up in blank paper or maybe write something literal and not metaphorical at all. It is frustrating really. I think I interpret writer's block literally...like there is something blocking the mind to be creative. These days I think of good titles and aim to coin something but I cannot, lol. Maybe it's because I am thinking of many things. I also used to read from here but not very much now.

• Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

Personally I find your all’s poetry fascinating.

• Milly Hayward replied to mossgirl19
    6 years ago

Ms Mossygirl,
    You write beautiful poetry. I think the problem is that most people tend to be far too harsh on themselves when being creative and that in itself is what creates the writers block. We never really see our creations in the same light as the people reading them :)

• mossgirl19 replied to Milly Hayward
    6 years ago

I agree with you on that too! Thank you, those are precious words coming from you! Your poetry is beautiful and also very insightful, and when you write fun pieces, they are the most enjoyable!

And Larry, you are the great grandfather of poetry here. :-)

• Larry Chamberlin replied to mossgirl19
    6 years ago

^ "And Larry, you are the great grandfather of poetry here. :-)"

Yes, Mel, it is true. I'm so old that when I was coming up we only had five words in English and they all rhymed with orange.

• Everlasting replied to Larry Chamberlin

I like your solution. That seem to work for me. Except in the cases when I know what’s bothering me but I am in denial and I don’t want to find out.

• mossgirl19 replied to Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

That is hilarious! But I know you know that I mean not the literal 'grandfather' in age but 'grandfather' meaning you are 'seasoned' and thus we learn lots of wisdom from you. :-)

• Larry Chamberlin replied to mossgirl19
    6 years ago

Yes, I am seasoned, most often when I'm too close to the hot grill outside after being sloppy with the spice-rub.