Poet of the Fortnight #20: Colm (June 2 - June 16, 2018)

• silvershoes
    5 years ago

Colm has been randomly selected as our 20th Poet of the Fortnight (PotF)! Colm is a young man living in Ireland -- Dublin, if I remember correctly. He was formerly a great moderator on PnQ, and he has been a loyal member on here since at least 2010. Alright guys, dig deep, let's get him to spill all his deep dark secrets. He won't be able to start answering until Monday, but you can fire away in the meantime.
    Please welcome Colm to his own special thread, and be sure to read his latest poem posted just below:

----
    Bells, hometown.

Only once, with little acclaim to
    notoriety, symbolism or fame will
    the bells of my hometown ring
    and sing with their enemies, the same -
    At twilight hour, judgement day, when
    the world has nothing left to say will
    the fallen conquerors leave aside
    their pride in self-existence, pray.
    ----

Colm, please fill out this public survey when you find time. You can pass any question/prompt in this thread, just write "Pass." I will ask 10 questions total throughout the next 2 weeks, and members of the community are encouraged to participate by asking questions of their own. Here's the survey:

Meaning behind your PnQ name:
    Birth place:
    Languages spoken:
    When you discovered PnQ and why you joined:
    Favorite poet(s):
    Book you are currently reading:
    Song you last listened to:
    Inspirations for writing:
    5 truths about yourself:

• Darren
    5 years ago, updated 5 years ago

1) Who was judge number 1 ;-)

Edit****

This beauty

http://www.poems-and-quotes.com/threads/139471

(sorry originally asked who judge 3 was, looking back through old posts it should have been judge 1)

2) what is your proudest achievement/accomplishment to date.
    3) what advice would you give to your 18 year old self.

• Em (marmite)
    5 years ago

What is one thing you want to do in the near future if money and time is no object?

• Colm
    5 years ago

Thanks Jane :) I've not been very active on PnQ for a while now but I'm looking forward to answering any questions that come my way and getting reacquainted!

Meaning behind your PnQ name: - Very boring, it's my real name. I had a few different PnQ names years ago but I've forgotten them in my old age

Birth place: A little place called Wexford in South-Eastern Ireland

Languages spoken: English and some Irish (Gaeilge). Not fluent and out of practice unfortunately. Did some French in school but 95% of that has long disappeared. Can't say I'm very fond of languages, although Spanish tends to appeal to me.

When you discovered PnQ and why you joined: For my exams in school when I was about 16-17, we had an unseen poetry section. I googled poems to practice and stumbled across PnQ. I had wrote a few silly bits down before I found this site so it was the catalyst that got me more interested in poetry and writing. Although my first post on here, I reluctantly admit, was a quote as myself and a friend had a bet on who's quote would get the highest rating.

Favorite poet(s): To be honest I've lost touch with lots of poets on here. Some of my favourites traditionally would have been Melissa, Britt, Sibylene, Luna, Melpomene. Favourite 'professional' poets are probably the likes of Seamus Heaney, WB Yeats (both Irish), Elizabeth Bishop, John Keats. Quite a wide variety I guess.

Book you are currently reading: The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes. I really like the writing style and the original Holmes character.

Song you last listened to: Hm. Probably a few on Spotify by an artist called Tenille Townes - from my limited musical knowledge I think she's a bit of a gem.

Inspirations for writing: Honestly, when I started it was often teen angst. Or as I get older, negative feelings/experiences. I think it is more difficult to write from a happy place about positive experiences. The excitement of having a bunch of like-minded strangers read the words I wouldn't show to anybody else was another early inspiration. Sometimes it was boredom: I liked the challenge of constructing a poem around a set of rules or restrictions. Some of my most serious/best poems are probably from little events that happened to me in some form or other, usually I re-imagine them or try to expand a persona around them. Inspiration has not been forthcoming lately though!

• Colm replied to Darren
    5 years ago

1) Who was judge number 1 ;-)
    My memory is really poor about these things! wasn't there controversy in this contest because one judge was seen to be harsh with votes/comments? I know that over the years for contests I would have asked the likes of Larry, Hellon, Britt, Sylvia, Luna to judge, so it could have been one of them? I'm honestly not sure so the mystery continues!

2) what is your proudest achievement/accomplishment to date.
    I think completing my studies and getting my teaching job. It's the cumulation of years of exams, study, practice, etc.

3) what advice would you give to your 18 year old self.
    To be more social and/or assertive sooner. I was shy and introverted when younger and it took me a while to come out of my shell - although I will always be quiet by nature and I'm fine with that.

• Colm replied to Em (marmite)

What is one thing you want to do in the near future if money and time is no object?

What an interesting question! The idea of travel with my other half jumps out to me. I'd go back to SE Asia to get my PADI scuba license, attend Thai cookery school and go hiking. The Inca Trail in South America and visit to Columbia. The Opry in Nashville, Roadtrip in a classic convertible, Broadway show in NY. Skiing in anywhere. A sports tour of the world including World Snooker Championship, Ryder Cup, NFL and NBA games, Cheltenham Festival, Boxing in Vegas, Six Nations Rugby game, etc.

I realise that's a lot of things but technically it's all under the travel umbrella :)

5 truths about myself:

Didn't have time to answer this one earlier!
    1) I'm a sports nut. Particularly fond of hurling, rugby, boxing, and fantasy football!
    2) My job is a primary teacher: Currently teaching 6-7yr olds.
    3) I've been to... approx 25 countries.
    4) My current passion in life is Game of Thrones. Don't know how I didn't get into it sooner!
    5) I wrote my first poem on a post-it with a broken pencil.

• Sunshine
    5 years ago

1) WHERE have you been :] ? - it's been a while

2) What's your favorite poem, or, what was the 1st poem to most affect you ?

3) What's your favorite poem out of your poems ? if any

4) Do you like movies ? any recommendations ?

• Ben
    5 years ago

oi oi old fruit! good to see you on POTF!!

When you write, do you use pen and paper or do you type straight on the keyboard/your phone?

Do you always use this method or do you mix it up?

If you use pen do you use a specific note pad or scraps of paper?

:)

• Meena Krish replied to Ben
    5 years ago

Does the weather, season or music
    inspire you to write?

Have you ever written something then
    disliked it, deleted and the regret deleting
    it?

• Larry Chamberlin

Where are you favorite places to go in Ireland?
    Are these for vacation, just an outing, shopping or to stare at grandeur?

• silvershoes

Question #1: Do you share your poetry with people outside PnQ? Who?
    Question #2: What do you believe in? E.g., God, gods, ghosts, the soul, astrology, reincarnation, karma, etc.

• Colm replied to Sunshine
    5 years ago

1) WHERE have you been :] ? - it's been a while

I've just slowly lost touch with PnQ, mainly because I haven't been writing much lately. I try to check in from time to time!

2) What's your favorite poem, or, what was the 1st poem to most affect you ?

Digging by Seamus Heaney was one of the first I studied in school, and I just loved it. I could relate to it I guess. Its about a boy/young man who isn't a peat farmer like his father and grandfather, but writes about their lives and carries on the family tradition that way.

I stumbled across a part of a poem written in an Irish WW1 memorial on the French/Belgian border, by Francis Ledwidge. It hit me particularly strongly after having seen so many graves and sites of WW1 battles that day.

It is too late now to retrieve
    A fallen dream, too late to grieve
    A name unmade, but not too late
    To thank the gods for what is great;
    A keen-edged sword, a soldier's heart,
    Is greater than a poet's art.
    And greater than a poet's fame
    A little grave that has no name.

3) What's your favorite poem out of your poems ? if any

I don't reflect very much on my poems, but one that stands out is 'Pandora.' I think it was the first poem I felt was a step above what I had written before.

Pandora

If you were a planet, I bet
    you would dance around the sun
    like a ballerina - and be the Pandora
    of a distant stretch of cosmos,
    where comets try to slingshot
    themselves to you, where the star's
    gaze would be fixed upon your aquatic pearl.

I am a more straightforward existence.
    Threads of matter, tissues, cells.
    I can't always be the glow of the night sky
    you wish upon, your gravitational constant,
    or a lunar Siegfried.

All I have are two atoms, tiny and violent.
    I'll leave them here for you.

4) Do you like movies ? any recommendations ?

I do indeed! There's lots that I like, mostly well known or classics I guess. Two I really enjoyed relatively recently are 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower' and 'About Time.' But let me know if you are looking for more recommendations and I'll do my best!

• Colm replied to Ben
    5 years ago

oi oi old fruit! good to see you on POTF!!

When you write, do you use pen and paper or do you type straight on the keyboard/your phone?

Do you always use this method or do you mix it up?

If you use pen do you use a specific note pad or scraps of paper?

:)

^^
    I don't write much anymore, but I did have a gradual movement from pen (or pencil) and paper to writing on the laptop. I used to be much more wrapped up in the romanticism of pen and paper when I first started but now I find typing just much easier and cleaner. I never had a specific notepad, just scraps of paper or a4 pages. I have some of them in a box in the attic somewhere!

• Colm replied to Meena Krish
    5 years ago

Does the weather, season or music
    inspire you to write?

Have you ever written something then
    disliked it, deleted and the regret deleting
    it?

^^
    Out of those, music is more of an inspiration. More-so for creating the mood to write, especially when coming in through headphones, I find it helps focus me and probably the musical content rubs off then in what I'm writing. Weather and season can sometimes be inspiration but probably more-so years ago, not so much in the last few years.

I can't honestly recall a time when I regretted deleting something. Usually if I delete it, I'm happy to have deleted it in the first place and don't dwell on it. What I do have a bad habit of doing is starting a poem, saving it halfway though and never going back to it and/or forgetting about it. I probably have 30-40 bits of poems started somewhere on the laptop or in my emails.

• Colm replied to Larry Chamberlin
    5 years ago

Where are you favorite places to go in Ireland?
    Are these for vacation, just an outing, shopping or to stare at grandeur?

^^
    I live in the South-East so have some favourite local spots and in my highly biased view, the area I live in is great. Some yummy restaurants and a place called Hook Head has a lovely lighthouse and old haunted house that's always good for a visit. The West of Ireland though is fantastic. Amazing coastal scenery and more untamed and unique than a lot of the rest of the country. I've had some great times in Dingle in Kerry - great traditional pubs in the town. Galway too is nice, but busy. The main tourist/traveller route would be Dublin-Kilkenny-Cork-Kerry-Galway-Dublin, and it's hard to miss out on any of those.

Great thing about Ireland though is that wherever you go, craic won't be too far away.

• Colm replied to silvershoes
    5 years ago

Question #1: Do you share your poetry with people outside PnQ? Who?
    Question #2: What do you believe in? E.g., God, gods, ghosts, the soul, astrology, reincarnation, karma, etc.

^^
    #1 No, with the exception of with my better half. Part of the enduring appeal of PnQ is to be able to write things that can be judged on the merit of the words rather than on any potential personal context.
    #2 Same as most Irish people, I was raised Catholic so I have that background, but Ireland as a country has changed and liberialised so much in my lifetime. As a person I am terribly indecisive so I guess I am agnostic. Can't see myself ever being 100% sure in a particular form of deity, and honestly I don't think about it too much. I mostly believe in being a decent, respectful person, nothing too complicated. I guess it's the 'love thy neighbor' principle which I'm sure is the general message in many belief systems and religions. Certainly have no belief in astrology or reincarnation, while karma I think is just common sense (if you're nice to others they will be nice to you in return).

• Poet on the Piano
    5 years ago

Hello, Colm! Good to see you.

1) I was raised Catholic as well. Was it mandatory you attend mass every week or several times a week and did you attend Catholic school? Any interesting memories?

2) If there was any fictional character you could bring to life and interact with, who would it be?

3) Which animal do you resonate with the most/ if you could transform into any animal, what would it be and why?

• Colm replied to Poet on the Piano
    5 years ago

1) I was raised Catholic as well. Was it mandatory you attend mass every week or several times a week and did you attend Catholic school? Any interesting memories?

In Ireland, 95% of schools have a Catholic ethos. Pretty much all public schools (very very few private schools here) are under patronage of the Church going back 50-100years. It's something the government are slowly trying to change. The local priest is usually on a schools Board of Management. Catholic ethos isn't shoved down the throat but it is there. Teachers generally say a morning and evening prayer for example, and there is a few school masses during the year. It is recommended that there be 2hrs a week religion teaching per week. But a large portion of that is morality and general how-to-be-a-nice-person stuff.

When I was young, my parents would have brought me to mass but is was their choice, wasn't forced. Sacraments communion and confirmation are done in schools, not all children take part in them, it's not mandatory. The Catholic Church years ago had huge power and influence but 95% of that has now gone - Same-sex marriage was passed by referendum a few years ago and abortion legalised only a few weeks ago.

2) If there was any fictional character you could bring to life and interact with, who would it be?

^^
    As a massive Harry Potter fan (I'm still holding out hope that a owl will drop in with my Hogwarts letter any day now), I'd love to interact with Rowling's magical world. A game of wizard chess over a pint of butterbeer with Ron would be neat!

3) Which animal do you resonate with the most/ if you could transform into any animal, what would it be and why?
    ^^
    Always liked cats. Dogs too, but I think a cat would be as good an animal as any to transform into. They are amazingly agile, can be independent or social, and if living in the wild proves too tough, I could find some human subjects to take me in, feed me and clean up my furballs.

• Poet on the Piano replied to Colm
    5 years ago

Church history has always been fascinating to me and I had many friends report recently about voting to end the abortion ban and how significant that is for Ireland.

But anyway, the most important question is: what house are you in and what's your patronus? I'm in Ravenclaw ^_^ Luna's always been my favorite character, even before I got sorted. I've taken multiple quizes to see what my patronus would be and I've gotten Stag and Grey Mare.

And yes to the butterbeer. I haven't tried any yet but still hoping someday to go to Orlando to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Cheers!

• Larry Chamberlin
    5 years ago

Colm,
    Who are your favorite Irish playwrights?

You have traveled extensively (25 countries!). What five places do you most want to go next? If you had to live in a foreign country for a year, where would it be?

What do you hope to be doing in twenty-years?

• Colm replied to Poet on the Piano
    5 years ago

Church history has always been fascinating to me and I had many friends report recently about voting to end the abortion ban and how significant that is for Ireland.

But anyway, the most important question is: what house are you in and what's your patronus? I'm in Ravenclaw ^_^ Luna's always been my favorite character, even before I got sorted. I've taken multiple quizes to see what my patronus would be and I've gotten Stag and Grey Mare.

And yes to the butterbeer. I haven't tried any yet but still hoping someday to go to Orlando to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Cheers!

^^

Unfortunately Church history here in Ireland has not been kind recently.

I'm a Ravenclaw too! I wear my Ravenclaw hoodie with pride, it's one of my favourite pieces of clothing. I can't remember what my Patronus is, I know I've done the quiz but can't remember for the life of me.

I've been to Warner Brothers studios in LA and to Harry Potter Studios in London, both were amazing. Though the butterbeer was a little sickly I must say!

• Colm replied to Larry Chamberlin
    5 years ago

Who are your favorite Irish playwrights?

You have traveled extensively (25 countries!). What five places do you most want to go next? If you had to live in a foreign country for a year, where would it be?

What do you hope to be doing in twenty-years?

^^
    I'm not actually hugely into plays and don't have a great knowledge of playwrights I'm afraid to say. Sean O Casey is very good, I lived opposite his homeplace and walked past a commemorative plaque in Dublin for 2 years. Possibly my favourite play I've seen recently was by a local playwright.

I'm heading to Croatia and Montenegro next so that'll be a great adventure! Apart from that, I'd like to get to Iceland, Netherlands, Estonia/Latvia/Lithuania, and a big South American trip.

If I had to live in a foreign country, that's a tough one. Assuming my other half would come with me! I really enjoyed Vietnam as a country, possibly there. Or UAE as there are lots of opportunities for teachers there, although the heat and sun wouldn't agree with me. Possibly Australia or New Zealand either if I wanted something that wasn't too much of a culture shock.

I don't know what I'm doing past the next few days so 20years into the future is a bit far down the road lol. Cliche and sappy I know but I'd like to be happy, healthy with a family and there's not much more I could ask for than that.

• silvershoes

MA & Colm, you're both Ravenclaws! I wanted to be Ravenclaw, but I took the quiz multiple times, and I'm a Gryffindor through and through. Ginger cat patronus :3 Not the most exciting combination, but I think it's accurate.

"I've had some great times in Dingle in Kerry - great traditional pubs in the town."

I rode horses through the green moors of Dingle once :) Ireland is beautiful. Also went to Dublin and had a great glass of Guinness and bangers & mash, and stayed by the water in Cork, where I couldn't understand a word anyone said - partly because of the thick accent, partly because it was a weekend and everyone was plastered.

Question #3: Do you picture yourself living in Ireland for the rest of your life? If all of your family and friends uprooted with you, would you move or would you still stay? What is special about Ireland?
    Question #4: What are your favorite smells?

5 years ago

Sounds like you had a good time in Ireland. Was it you who studied in Galway for a while? I remember talking to someone about that on here years ago but can't quite remember who!

Question #3: Do you picture yourself living in Ireland for the rest of your life? If all of your family and friends uprooted with you, would you move or would you still stay? What is special about Ireland?
    Question #4: What are your favorite smells?

^^
    I see myself staying here. Nowhere is perfect but overall Ireland is a great place to live. The people, landscape, sport, culture, I enjoy all of it. Also the familiarity I guess. I think I'd still like to stay even if others could uproot too. I love holidays, even living elsewhere for a while but I think I'd be sad if I couldn't call Ireland home.

I have a poor sense of smell, which can be a blessing and a curse! Fresh-cut grass is probably my favourite smell, probably because of the association with summer and sunny outdoorseyness

• silvershoes
    5 years ago

Good answers, Colm. I had a great time in Ireland, but it was only for 1 week! I think maybe you are thinking of Sibyllene/Sibs? I'm not certain she studied in Galway, but it seems to me she was there for the length of one semester, so it's possible.

Last blast of questions... Answer at your leisure.

Question #5: If you could know the answer to any question, what would it be? What would you hope the answer to be? If part of the deal was that you could never share this answer with anyone else, would you still want to know it?
    Question #6: Would you choose immortality if it were a choice? If so, at what age would you like to remain?
    Question #7: Have you ever had a recurring dream? What was it? What do your dreams typically consist of? Do you often remember them? What was your last dream?
    Question #8: Would you rather the ability to fly or to breathe and see clearly underwater?
    Question #9: Do you find secrets easy to keep? Do you have any secrets that you'll take to the grave? Are they yours or shared by others?
    Question #10: What is one thing you dislike about yourself, but you feel is unlikely to change? What are three things you like about yourself?

5 years ago

Question #5: If you could know the answer to any question, what would it be? What would you hope the answer to be? If part of the deal was that you could never share this answer with anyone else, would you still want to know it?
    ^^
    Without being morbid, I think the 'life after death' question is one I'd like to know the answer to. I would hope that there is a better place we go to, it would give people a lot of comfort. I would still want to know if I couldn't tell anyone else, so long as nobody else knew I knew... If that make sense!

Question #6: Would you choose immortality if it were a choice? If so, at what age would you like to remain?
    ^^
    No I don't think so. Can't imagine having children and then watching them grow old and inevitably pass on. After a while, I think immortality would get both very lonely and monotonous.

Question #7: Have you ever had a recurring dream? What was it? What do your dreams typically consist of? Do you often remember them? What was your last dream?
    ^^
    I used to have 2 recurring nightmares: falling down the stairs and having the bad guy from Bruno chase me with an axe/chainsaw. I think I must have seen some of The Shining when I was younger for that one! I often have dreams but very rarely remember them, unfortunately.

Question #8: Would you rather the ability to fly or to breathe and see clearly underwater?
    ^^
    Fly, even though I don't have a great head for heights. Don't have a love of water either but I did love scuba diving when I tried it. Flying is just more badass (and practical)

Question #9: Do you find secrets easy to keep? Do you have any secrets that you'll take to the grave? Are they yours or shared by others?
    ^^
    I'm pretty good at keeping a secret, I won't betray someones trust if they confide. Personally, I don't have many secrets of note: no secret evil twin brother or hush hush criminal record. I do think it's nice, maybe even healthy, to keep some small little things to yourself.

Question #10: What is one thing you dislike about yourself, but you feel is unlikely to change? What are three things you like about yourself?
    ^^
    Jane you are making me dig deep here lol.

I will always be somewhat introverted and while I don't mind that, there are some social situations I'll never been really at ease at or really comfortable in. What I like about myself... I'm relaxed/laidback and not a worrier, I have an interest in and mild talent for sports and I'd like to think that I'm a good friend

• silvershoes
    5 years ago

Maybe being able to fly would cure your fear of heights? I agree with you on the immortality question. I'm not sure I'm strong enough to outlive everyone I love or will ever love. Hm. Interesting combination that you're an introvert and not at ease in certain social situations, but also relaxed/laidback and not a worrier. Is it more of a discomfort than an anxiety that you experience? I'm such an anxious person. I usually have to be inebriated to feel comfortable in social situations. Fake it til you make it though, right? If only my huge sweat stains didn't give me away hahaha!

Thank you for participating in this, Colm. We've missed you around here.