I'm sure we've all done it..

• Hannah Lizette
    5 years ago

I literally poured my heart out in a poem just now. I wrote it in Colornote app in my phone. I was trying to copy & paste, only to hit erase. And of course, I didn't have the back up feature activated. Frustrated is not even the word. I can't even begin to describe how I feel right now.

I think I need to go back to the old fashioned way of scribbling in a notebook. Fingers crossed that I can salvage some of it back from my brain. Sigh.

Who else has done something similar? I can't be the only one.

• CJ Maleney replied to Hannah Lizette
    5 years ago

Every signal one of us.

It's funny though as little bits will stick in your mind.

Those little bits can pull you back to its entirety.

Regards

• CJ Maleney
    5 years ago

Sometimes we even loose the little bits of paper.

• Hannah Lizette
    5 years ago

I have conjured up some of it.. small bits and pieces but it's definitely not like it was. I am going to give my mind and heart a break from it, come back to it in a few hours and pray that I'll be able to form something out of it, maybe even better than before.

• Poet on the Piano
    5 years ago, updated 5 years ago

Yes! It's ironic too that it can happen when we know better, but for me it happens in the excitement of a moment. Usually when I write something, copy and paste then later that day copy and paste something else that erases what I wrote haha. If it's on my phone it's a bit better since it saves it on the clipboard. But I'm not always thinking logically when I'm in the mood/atmosphere of the poem.

Sorry this happened to you! Glad you could retrieve some of it but I understand the feeling of it not being the same. Sometimes I can salavage specific lines that got caught in my mind, but the poem feels less authentic and less whole.

Give yourself a break and like you said, hopefully when you come back it's even better or takes perhaps a new angle since you initially vented the emotions, and this just expands it.

• Larry Chamberlin
    5 years ago

I have done it a lot! Even when I remember much of it and rewrite it, I look at it and think “this is not the same poem.”

• Milly Hayward replied to Hannah Lizette
    5 years ago

I feel for you. I've lost forever lots of my poems like that.
    I now try and write on my phone and then make sure i write it as well in my designated poetry book. Also use a rub out pen incase I want to make any changes. Take care Milly x

• Em (marmite) replied to Hannah Lizette
    5 years ago

Only today I was talking to Mr Darcy who I think highly of about this same thing .... Losing work is a pain in the jacksy lol I've done if before when I was rudely kicked off the site for plagarism, of which was a misunderstanding, so I have since learnt my lesson and save all my work in docs on my drive although sometimes it's much easier to write it straight on to here....

• Jamie
    5 years ago

More times than I can count, this is why I am super happy I can back it up to a few places and copy paste is a thing