Weekly Contest Results November 19 2018

• Meena Krish
    5 years ago

Good Morning Everyone! A hearty congrats to our front page winners Poet
    on the Piano and to Prince with two wining poems, and to all those who received
    a HM. Well done everyone and once again thank you judges for your valuable
    time and effort. Here are the results:

//WINNERS//:

Let beautiful be by The prince 10+10+10=30

Waning by Poet on the Piano 7+7=14

Salt by The Prince 4+10=14

//COMMENTS//:

Let beautiful be by The prince (10 points)

Wow I couldn’t stop reading this. Every word is so elegantly written and
    beautifully crafted, this truly is a masterpiece and you should be very,
    very proud of your work.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Let Beautiful be by the prince (10 points)

This poem is mesmerizing, in all of my years on this site I don't think I have
    ever sat open mouthed while reading somebody's poem. With this one I did. It
    takes you on a journey away from this world and transports you into the authors
    mind for a fleeting few moments. This is as close to perfect that I have seen. An
    easy 10 points for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Let Beautiful Be by The Prince (10 points)

I really needed to read something like this. Recently, I’ve been having trouble
    letting things be. Instead of living the moment, I’ve been sinking into negative
    thoughts. And instead of believing that all happens for a reason, I’ve been
    seeking desperately to find the meaning in everything. This piece just tells us that
    there are beautiful and ugly things in life. Some people will stick around, others
    will leave. We’ll definitely make some bad decisions, and we will regret them,
    and it is okay. We have to embrace this truth, live the bad days as passionately as
    we live the good ones. We have to stop over thinking and over analysing. Those last
    few words: ‘’Let flowers grow, bloom, rot; let beautiful be left.’’ make a really
    inspirational and refreshing quote. If the poet allows, I’d like to use it as a
    WhatsApp status. Well-written, and welcome back.
    ------------------------------------------------------

Waning by Poet on the Piano (7 points)

This poem speaks to me on a personal level, being someone who suffers
    from PTSD and depression due to living in a war-torn country for eight years.
    How sad is that we need to hold guns and kill and terrorize and sacrifice our
    own lives in order to belong somewhere? Humans are the most evil and
    destructive and twisted species. How can we celebrate ‘’victory’’ where
    blood has been shed?
    ‘’Worship uniforms,
    consummate your position,
    kiss the pledge,
    follow the herd.’’
    This part just says how much we’d been definitely deluded and brainwashed
    to think in a certain way. I agree with one of the commenters; I’d like to hear
    you reading this masterpiece out loud.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Waning by Poet on the Piano (7 points)

Definitely a hard hitting poem which carries truth and anguish
    along with it. I liked how you have penned this too and all I could see
    is you speaking these words out with such force yet with much sentiments
    tagged along with it...excellent write!
    -------------------------------------------------------

Salt by The Prince (10 points)

I like the imagery you have painted and the write itself has this soothing
    effect and at the same time something like an eluding mystery. I like the
    choice of words and I’m still trying to link the title with the poem...interesting!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Salt by The Prince (4 points)

This poem gave me an uneasy vibe. I don’t have a fear of water, and I swim a lot,
    but picturing myself in the middle of a calm ocean with no land around always
    makes me dizzy. I’m imagining the poet is grieving over someone who had been
    sick and going through therapy, maybe? In their final days, their world became
    cold and silent. The slow movement of waves indicates to a typical, calm life. And
    even though this person was very loving and generous, something really disturbing
    happened to them. I’m rambling here, and honestly, I don’t like to analyse poems
    like this, because they’re much more fascinating when unexplained, and left to the
    reader's imagination. Excellent work.

//HM’S//:
    ... by Em 7+4=11

Pink Baby Blues by Courtney Hough 10

Whispers in the fall by Maher 4

November morning (haiku) by Jamie 4

When You Left by Meena Krish 4

The Pebbles by Bob Gallo 7

Vigil by Tony 7

//COMMENTS//:

.... by em (7 points)

Those who don’t love us will hurt us, but those who do will be able to
    comfort us and melt all of the insecurities and shame we feel about
    ourselves away with just a simple touch, or even a look. Short. Sweet.
    Simple. And raw. Great job.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    .....by Em (4 points)

It felt like the heaviness which crunches your heart and
    mind finally falls away from you or melts away when you
    rest upon love’s arms...the ending sure did bring a smile..a touching
    write yet I’m glad it ended with a happy note.

Pink Baby Blues by Courtney Hough (10 points)

Courtney has written a beautifully honest piece, not only highlighting the
    struggles of prenatal depression, but brutally real with something almost all
    expecting parents feel: secretly, most parents hope for a baby of the same gender
    as their own. This as a way of being able to feel like the best parent, able to guide
    their child the right way through tumultuous emotional and bodily changes as
    they’re growing up, ones that their partner (be it husband or wife) might not have
    masterful knowledge of. Courtney is having a boy, which everyone will tell her is
    beautiful and amazing and exciting, but she shares her innermost thoughts with us:
    she’s scared, and she feels like a bad mom already for experiencing these common
    thoughts. I do not have the solution for her fears or worries, but I have to say it is
    very brave of her to share these layers of emotions with the world. Other mothers
    out there might do well to read these words and know they are not alone; often, being
    alone is the worst part of the battle. I do hope you are able to overcome these wars
    in your head.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

Vigil by Tony (7 Points)

A perfect time to pay tribute to our troops as we have just celebrated a veteran’s
    day and held ceremonies for the anniversary of those who served/died in WWI
    (a commemoration of 100 years), “Vigil” is a great rhyming piece with a strong
    flow whose sentiment is universal. In his poem we are brought to a candlelight vigil,
    where we recognize the lives taken by war and given in servitude with the utmost
    respect; particularly, Tony highlights the reasons why people joined and his
    understanding that sometimes they never made it home to their wives, to their
    children, or to their families. For some, that better life they joined for never actually
    came to fruition; instead, they’ve provided us with the better lives we get to enjoy
    every day. A great poem, thank you for sharing!

----------------------------------------------------------

When You Left by Meena Krish (4 Points)

I had never heard of an Eintou before I read this poem, even raising an
    eyebrow a bit when reading the title for the first time. Kindly enough, Meena
    included the syllabication scheme at the bottom of the poem. It is admirable
    that someone is able to fit such a potent concept to such a rigid structure, but
    Meena surely succeeded. Squeezing wisdom into a mere 32 syllables, just one
    sentence, we truly feel the anguish of a relationship disintegrating over a “sharp
    tongue”, as many do. The line “Grief entered my home when you left the door
    open”, a portion of which is emboldened by the title itself, really spoke to me. I
    have the mental image of that open door and the feelings of grief mentioned.
    Though a mere sentence, this poem really does tell the reader a story, albeit
    a sad one.

-------------------------------------------------

November morning (haiku) by Jamie (4 points)

I do like a haiku, if I see one nominated I am a happy person. Then I
    scrutinize the syllable count, is the final line a turn? Is it really a haiku and
    not a senryu? Jamie ticked all the boxes. Love the word choice, loved the
    subject and that last line is worthy of an HM on its own.

The Pebbles by Bob Gallo (7 points)

I loved the erratic flow of this piece, almost as erratic as the subject. It almost
    rhymes, it almost makes sense, there is almost a form to it. The tone is unusual.
    Yet pieced together it works and is very clever. It gets you thinking. It had me
    smiling and nodding. A clever write from Bob.
    --------------------------------------------------------

Whispers in the fall by Maher (4points)

What an elegantly written piece. Flow and rhyme are on point, as is
    imagery and emotion. Great work.

• Brenda
    5 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! Awesome writes all around. Meena, thank you for hosting and all the judges for your hard work and time.

• D. replied to Meena Krish
    5 years ago, updated 5 years ago

Thank you so much for the incredibly humbling feedback and well done to the other poets. There was a lot of great writing this week! It’s always nice to share the front page with an awesome writer like Mary Anne too :).

Many more thanks to the judges and Meena, on a general level. Your comments and work on this website are vastly appreciated!

Whoever wanted to change their WhatsApp status, you’re welcome to haha! I charge royalties though ;)

Kidding obviously. Have a lovely day guys (and don’t forget to enter my contest) :P

• Meena Krish replied to D.
    5 years ago

Thank you Ranina for the nomination and thank you judge
    for the vote and comment.

• Darren
    5 years ago

congrats all.

• Poet on the Piano

Well, a mighty big congrats to you, Danny! What a way to come back to PnQ, and thank you for the kind words :)

Thank you to the two judges for taking the time to read, vote and give your thoughts. Thank you also Meena for hosting. Congrats to all HMs!

• Ya----Na
    5 years ago

Happy for the winners and HMs
    Grateful to the judges for showering so much love on all of us.
    Thanks to our hardworking Moderators and to all the beautiful members for their time to read, comment and obviously nomination.
    Much love for pnq family..

S

• ddavidd

Thanks to Meena the host, thank you Sunshine for nominating me. Thank to Meena again for other nomination. And a voluptuous thank to the judge and the use of oxymoron to complement my piece.
    Being erratic in such positive context that was used, makes me feel that I at least am being innovative, in oppose to fallowing pasts mechanically.

• Larry Chamberlin
    5 years ago

Congrats to Prince (welcome back indeed) and to MA as well as the HMs. Thanks, judges and to Meena.