Why do poets copy other poets' work???

• Hope
    19 years ago

Hello!!! I've been a regular visitor to this site and become a love poem fanatic. In my time, I've read countless love poems and rarely I noticed a few poems which sounded familiar. Then when i read the comments to those poems, i noticed that other poets begin to accuse those poets of plagiarism. But i am just curious about why do some poets take other poets work and claim them as their own??? What do you gain??? Anybody have any clue???

• Sinister Soire
    19 years ago

i think that some people just want a good poem or two to catch peoples attention and get them to read more poems.. i havent come across this yet but whatever.

• Lydia O
    19 years ago

~Edited out!~

• Nici
    19 years ago

I think that some people plagirise others poems because of one or more of the following:

a)They have no real ideas or talents of their own.
    b)They find an excellent poem by someone else and think if they put it in their name people will praise them.
    c)They have no appriecation for the time and dedication that poetry writing involves.
    d)They want praise/positive comments for good poems but are unwilling to put in the work.
    e)They want to see if they can get away with it i.e. does any one notice?

Also sometimes people use someone elses poem and just change a few words, thinking that it makes it their own. Not bloodly likely.

I havn't read any plagiarised poems as of now, or If I have I havn't noticed.

Nici.

• Hope
    19 years ago

I just read a splendid poem that was dedicated to his love. Maybe another reason why some poets copy other poets' work is to win the hearts of their love ones by whatever means possible. Who knows, some ppl can be that desperate!!!

• SCARECROW
    19 years ago

Agree with Nici, especially about the change a few words thing. You'd have to change a hell of a lot of words to make it sound anything different, even then, it's too much trouble right? People have stolen my work before, and I don't reckon my stuff's brilliant, but I do know how this feels. Instead of going to the trouble of finding, copying and altering some poem you find, just write your own. I'm sure it'll take a lot less hassle and effort.

• SCARECROW
    19 years ago

Besides, if you never copy other people's work, you'll never have to deal with people accusing you of plagiarism.

• SilentSymphony
    19 years ago

This is under one of my quotes. that yes, was copies. but thats why it was called a quote. Lol.

"About the most originality that any writer can hope to achieve honestly is to steal with good judgment."

I think that many people do it because they like the writting, and want it as their own?
    Or have no idea that if the person they stole it from would feel like... probably really shocked. like if someone found out that their identity was cloned. ya know?
    i think its stupid. But i do admit, i have PRINTED out like... two poems. one was just today that i thought was hilarious, and i sent it to my cousin-in-law. and she laughed her ass off.. simply because it was about something that i know she did.
    Then there was one, i dont remember what it was called, its in a scrap book folder of poems i like in it... it was about how the world was slowly coming to an end. i printed it out, with full recognition on the paper of whos it was. Heh. anyway. I dont know, never have i stoeln someones work and called it my own.
    i think its moraly stupid.

• Mustardhart
    19 years ago

The reason why people plagiarize can be seen in the light of the foloowing in my opinion:

1. Lack of self discipline to do things with their hands, this is a product of laziness.

2. The same reason why thieves steal, selfishness. Wanting to have what doesnt belong to you.

3. Covetousness, is another basis, they need the praise/accolade and sometimes sympathy that isnt theirs. This is also know as a quest for "cheap popularity"

4. Low self image. They fail to look at the possible potential inside of them, but wish away almost every good in them that it cant be done.

5. Lastly, it is bcs of fear of rejection. I think they fear their work will not be acceptable, and so try to be someother 'acceptable' persons in disguise, even when they know that it is a lie, and will likely be caught.

• Liz Suffecool
    19 years ago

Im not really sure why other poets would steal someones work... Maybe they just want something to be proud of... I wish those people who did wouldnt because it makes the ones who wrote it mad and want to leave!

• ♥•oOo Nikki oOo•♥©
    19 years ago

I've Entered 2 Poems That Weren't Mine And i Made It Clear That They Didn't Belong To Me I Just Wanted To Make Sure Everyone Got a Chance To View How Great These Poems Are And To Retrieve Their Concept...i Think The True Theifs Are The Ones Who ENter The Poems Without Admitting It Isn't Theirs xoxo-Nikki-xoxo