Any one else feel this way?

• Quietly Versed
    16 years ago

It seems that I am reading a lot of poetry that should be getting rating of and 3, yet they are receiving a 5 along with a blanket generic comment of god job keep writing.

It is obvious that people are afraid that their honesty will hurt their own ratings. It brings down the integrity of the ratings all together.

• Lauren Waszkiewicz
    16 years ago

I feel the same way, sometimes its easier [scratch that. its always easier for some people] to simply say great poem! blah blah then to have to tell the person what's wrong with it. Because they're lazy and sayin how great it was is easier and shorter than going through line by line telling the authro the rhyming is crap, the words are mispelled and the flow is as bumpy as the austrailan outback.

when i read poems i rarely rate them.. i dont see a point to it. if i dont rate it a 5, then the author would get mad, and if i rate it a 5 i'm lying to myself. instead i just comment the poem.

• Natalie
    16 years ago

I completely agree! I think people are trying to get their ratings higher! I think we should just be genuine in what we feel in as positive a manner possible!

• Krathia
    16 years ago

Yes, I agree with this, but I think many people can't help it. If I come across a bad poem and start analysing every word of it, I only end up noticing the good stuff that probably weren't even intended.

• Jaymes Haze
    16 years ago

Some people probably just post their comments to get others looking at their own work.

As long as you rate and comment truthfully, why would it matter?

• Michaela Lewis
    15 years ago

I think you shuold just be honist but sill consider felling like give a bad wrating but explain why and be nice about it

• Miss Kelly
    15 years ago

Honesty should always come first. But if there is something wrong with the poem, tell that person in an appropriate way. try not to let them down.

• Crystal
    15 years ago

I do agree. And to be honest I do this, the 'good job' thing. Sometimes I do it because I can't think of anything else to write. But anyways I feel that people just give a 5 rating because they find it easy. I'm one of those people that don't just want positive comments I wont to know what I've done to make a poem sound crap, but I guess if we give positive comments or a 5 to someone they feel like they have to do the same.

• David ODonnell
    15 years ago

I try not to comment on people's poems and tell them how to improve it but I let them know what I might have done had I wrote the poem

• Lori
    15 years ago

I also agree with this...I would like to know whether one of my poems isnt good. Its not like i will get offended.

• lynn
    15 years ago

Folks shouldn't have to worry about what they post will hurt their ratings if it does ok deal with it

• Anne Garcia
    15 years ago

Haha! Exactly! I always keep that in mind everytime I comment and vote. It really matters to me, if the poems sucks then I really won't comment or vote on it. On the other hand, if it's excellent to me, then I'll definitely express my feelings to it. Ususally I think others are afraid to say the truth with poems, because, really who are you who knows what a "good" poem is? All we have to do is give tips on how to improve better. Right?

• Lori
    15 years ago

Yea I write like a whole page of a comment..and then all i get is "Great job" or "I like this one"

• CY GINDLE
    15 years ago

I always give 5's cause im a wuss and what
    the hell I like everything i read

• Invited
    15 years ago

I feel the same way people should be getting the honest rating they deserve.

• H E Losey
    15 years ago

I think that if,no matter the age, all commentors would use as much maturity as they have and strive for integrity things would improve. I would also like to get rid of the acromyns for words in comments, if we don't practice our writing skills in all things we write then how do we expect to improve?

• Sourav
    15 years ago

I think it's a very valid point. This thing happens.
    But if you want to really improve your writing then you should be ready for any rating and comments. Otherwise it doesn't matter how high your rating is in a particular site.

• Wolf Haines
    15 years ago

I do agree with all the above comments. However, i have a reservation in that, if somebody writes THEIR poem and thats how they want it to be then surely we cant turn around and suggest they change or improve it. Not all poems have to be perfect. We could get into a debate about whos standard we judge the poems by, because that could determine the rating. Spelling mistakes or elementary rhyming failures should obviously be pointed out.

Answer honestly and politely.

• Ray Smallshaw
    15 years ago

Lets face it we are all individuals and what you may think is a load of rubbish to someone else may seem a gem. That is the beauty of poetry it can be taken on by anyone who has words to put together, so I say who is to judge my poems all of you all I ask is honesty and critism that may help me improve. Don't you all love the written word in poetry form, it is an art and not all of us can get to be a Michelangelo, or Picasso but we can pursue the heights and that is what makes all art form so wonderful.

• Wolf Haines
    15 years ago

Good point well made Ray.

• Moose
    15 years ago

<------------ Wishes that the voting system was harder. As I've previously stated, I feel disgraced that my poems are receiving 5's when I know they shouldnt. I just wish that some people would open up more, and be honest without fear of someone turning around and doing the whole.. "YOU GIVE ME 3 I give YOU 3!!!

• Ed or Ian Henderson
    15 years ago

I almost never rate poems. But if I like something or feel it warrants a comment I will do so. And I don't always post the "great job keep writing" comments either, because there are a lot of people out there who are doing a great job, and do need to keep writing, but will keep writing the same thing over and over and over again, or who will not stretch themselves without someone suggesting it will be beneficial.

What you will never do is see a comment from me that tells you your work is terrible or pointless. Apart from a blatantly racist one that doesn't appear to be here any more.