When the magic is gone

• Krathia
    15 years ago

I've really TRULY worked my heart out on two poems, ever. And both turned out to be absolutely horrid. WHy is it, that the things you work the most over never work out? When the magic was there, everything sounded so right, and when it's gone, are there is left are follish, shallow words and depthless, flat echoes of an emotion that used to be?

• Kevin
    15 years ago

I say the magic never leaves the poem,, because when you read it,, you should kno and feel what you have when you where writing the thing,, otherwise you wouldnt of spent so much time on making it

• khobo
    15 years ago

I think most people have that feeling. I mean, I know I get like that too. I would go back and change words around so many times and end up back where I started for some. I would say its the spur of the moment kind of thing.

• Lori
    15 years ago

Hmm well i'd say to nvr give up and to just get trying..take writing classes and everything:)

• Blueleo
    15 years ago

I see a good poet is a person that has a combination of emotion and imagination. If you always write from the heart, you drain your soul. Some times it's best to write with heart and not directly from the heart. This means to write about something in life that might not be what you feel at the moment, or even ever felt, but put yourself in that situation and think about how you would feel. This doesn't drain you emotionally, but does give your poem the emotion it needs to move others. Of course, it take a lot of practice to really pull it off, but I think it will help the writer in the long term.

• David
    15 years ago

Originality. so many poets are lacking it now. sticking to cliches and the safe grounds. not taking a lead, being afraid of being burned and critiqued so harshly. learn and suffer, and learn some more.

keep trying new things, and the magic will have to stay a few more days..... :P

DJ

• Invited
    15 years ago

Its nobody's fault nor is it yours its just that you are trying too hard to get out of you instead of just letting it come and inspire you. Don't beg for it. Be patient.

• Kik
    15 years ago

I don't know what exactly to say but not to give up. Never quit writing if that's what you want to do.

• Ed or Ian Henderson
    15 years ago

I know this won't work for everyone, but when I find I've worked on a poem and I don't like it, I just ditch it. I don't mean I delete it, I just... stop working on it. A poem isn't like a pet. No one's going to be calling the RSPCA if you neglect it. But you can always go back later and think "time to feed this one again..." and you never know. It might just end up as a gem.

I find writer's block block's hardest the more pressure you put yourself under. So unless you're a professional poet, just relax. This is meant to be soothing/fun/healing/inspiring. :-)

• Dark Savior
    15 years ago

I know that I feel some of my poems are my best, in acuality they are probably my worst.

Certain times you are too close to the subject which is why you need an unbiast opinion.

You should always look for improvements in your writing. I know a friend who has been doing a poem for about 5 years now, she still hasn't even come close to finishing it.

• Amy Jo
    15 years ago

I've found that when I sit down to write a poem and decide in my mind "Hey I'm gonna write a great poem today." that typically it doesn't come out the way I'd hoped for. The poems that I look back on and re-read and see that they are actually amazing even to me, those are the ones that I had feelings poured into. A time when I was so angry, or very upset, or heart-broken. And sometimes I just get into a flow and don't stop, become very mellow and block out the world. But man 5 years on a poem. I could write a poem that is great if not decent within two minutes, but everyone is different.

• AnCi
    15 years ago

I guess that your heart is not in your poem. You are more or less saying it yourself.. "the magic is gone".. the feelings are gone.. Maybe you need to take a break from writing..
    Writing is what i love to do and it is a part of me but there was a point in my life when i did not write for 3 years and than i started writing again better than ever.. so i would maybe suggest a break?