About Constructive criticism (Poll)

• GB
    9 years ago

Do you accept constructive criticism easily?

Do you get offended when the reader POLITELY states a different opinion or suggests slight changes/editing in your writing?

Pretty interested to know your thoughts, you don't have to elaborate, Yes or No could be enough.

• Robert Gardiner
    9 years ago

It depends if I find some worthy grains in their criticism and suggestion, to help my work further glow and blossom. I'll take the critique, but unless I find it advantageous and helpful, i don't have to listen/employ. I appreciate a little criticism. sometimes it helpful, but you can't spend all your time listening to the critics and trying to please them.

• GB
    9 years ago

We write to please ourselves before anybody else. :)

• Poet on the Piano
    9 years ago

Good question. Definitely would never get offended if the person was honest AND polite. I would even appreciate if they didn't agree with certain aspects as we all think and react differently. We all have our own struggles and our own ways of coping, our own stories to tell. I think I would only be upset if a person judged another person for what they wrote, or labeled, or attacked that person's form of expression. If a poem is bashing, let's say, a political view or religion, well, I may just not comment if I don't agree with that. That person still has the room to write down their beliefs, I just may differ. I believe there is no definition of "good" or "bad" poetry, everyone has their own taste and that's a beautiful thing.

As my creative writing professor reminded me (and the other students), it's always wise to listen and seriously consider the suggestions made by another, but at the end of the day, you are the writer, you decide whether to make the changes or not.

• GB
    9 years ago

The ability to listen to the others especially those who could have different thoughts is a great attitude to improve/develop our writing.
    It's not necessarily for the writing to be personal and in many times it can be just thoughts of the writer regarding any certain aspect.

I think I would deal with religious and political poems professionally, discussing the poetic skills used, the poem in general, the writer's own opinion won't be of much importance to me.

• Larry Chamberlin
    8 years ago

I'm not offended by criticism, but like Robert, I feel no compulsion to change my work. However, about onetime in three I do change it because often the criticism indicates that I have not communicated. I may or may not use the suggestion, if I change it anyway I will often use a wholly different approach.

• Dark Secrets
    8 years ago

Do you accept constructive criticism easily?
    Depends really, when critisism is about a part where I meant to do something I don't accept it easily, and I usually say something about it. But when I agree with the critisised point I accept it easily.

Do you get offended when the reader POLITELY states a different opinion or suggests slight changes/editing in your writing?
    Nope, I get taken aback sometimes, especially if I put a lot of effort into it and I'm proud of it. But, I prefer critisism and the truth over lying, or sugar coating.

• GB
    8 years ago

Dear Zahra, glad to see you on the forums.

• Bob Shank
    8 years ago

Criticism is great and should be accepted if you are looking to enhance your writing abilities, however most people write to heal, to express themselves and could care less about being critiqued, as long as their message is received....Most good writers have very fragile egos, the great one welcome criticism, as long as it's valid and they can learn from it.

• GB
    8 years ago

"fragile ego" ... I can see too much logic behind this.

Bob, speaking about myself, your remarks helped polishing my writing skills and that's something I will always be grateful for :)

• Bob Shank
    8 years ago

Cool, here's some more

your remarks helped polishing my writing

helped polish......lol.....

• GB
    8 years ago

:P

Thank you!

• Maple Tree
    8 years ago

Yes, I do love constructive criticism. It really is helpful.
    I would rather someone tell me I've spelled something wrong, or hey you have 9 syllables when I should have 10...

It helps a great deal... as writers, banning together and helping each other out is what its all about I feel.

• Mr. Darcy
    8 years ago

I agree. If we all commented on one poem each visit it would change the site for the better. Comments that show an understanding of the poem, and willingness to support should be praised. We need to encourage positivity and support for this community.

Anyone reading this, go find a poem that has been posted and offer a positive and supportive comment. Share the love so to speak.

• Darren
    8 years ago

I would love the comment

'I don't know what the hell you are going on about with this piece'

Because sometimes neither do I

Constructive criticism is welcome or any criticism

I am not always looking to strike the right chord.

• Milly Hayward
    7 years ago

I think constructive criticism is important if we want to improve our skills. Comments should be truthful and honest. A true reflection of what is good and what is bad. Otherwise how would you know what to do to improve? Its also nice to hear interpretations of your poetry or what people like best about it and what doesn't work for them

• Em
    7 years ago

Yes I do accept criticism because in my opinion it makes us a better writer and what's not to accept if it's done politely rather than do this and do that as there are certain ways to do it.

No I don't get offended if a reader offers a slight change to my work because then at least know they have read through it properly

I like Michaels idea and I think we should all comment on at least he poem a day but I only see a handful of regular members on. I always comment on poems I see and if I see someone new on site I will comment in there's to and always try my best with comments rather than the oh this was nice type.