A Little Rhyme For Christmas Time #2 Contest results

• CJ Maleney
    5 years ago, updated 5 years ago

Thank you all so much for entering. Just like last year I was amazed by the various ways you approached this challenge. The ideas you came up with and the different subjects you covered are simply humbling.

Some poured their hearts out and tugged on the strings of many. Some went dark and some drew on past occurrences. Others embraced the spirit of Christmas.

The result was 6 fantastic works of art. (If you include mine, 7 entries.)

They all proved popular with all entries receiving votes, which really makes me smile (ladies and gentlemen that is something to be proud of).

I can honestly say I loved reading every single entry. In my eyes there are no losers, however we did have an absolute runaway winner. It was pretty close until the final 2 votes came in though.

So to the results, (plays an imaginary drum roll)

1st place, A Christmas Wish
    By Milly Hayward.
    44 points (10,10,10,7,7)

2nd place, Good Old Santa
    By Michael
    31 points (10,7,7,7)

3rd place, Christmas Contact
    By some skinny bald dude
    21 points (10,7,4)

Hosts comments (short and sweet) in order of posting and not voting.

Christmas without #1
    By Maple Tree

This is a fantastic work by our Miss Maple.

It is easy to see the sadness in this poem and many of us know the story behind it. It is also very easy to see the love that continues to shine through.

Without going into great detail this is a pure work of love that was both saddening and an honour to read.

A very strong and brave poem.

Christmas contact(silent night)
    By CJ Maleney

I found this poem to be an absolute pile of sentimental drivel written by a complete buffoon who should not ever be involved in poetry.

He is however a fantastic connoisseur of English brewed cask ales.

All in all he's a top bloke, however! often he is to be found a little bit muddled (aka tiddly) and writing random twaddle in his kitchen on a Saturday evening while the kids watch Tv.

How it's poem managed 3rd place let alone received a vote fuddles ones mind.

Obituaries At Christmas
    By Em

I found this poem to be somewhat sad yet excellently executed.

I'm unsure whether Em writes from personal experience or from the perspective of another, however the message it conveys within is very strong.

iPhone X(mas)
    By Daniel

I absolutely loved reading this poem. Yes it is a sad indictment of today's society and it's not just the youth either. It also echos some of my own thoughts on the use of mobile phones and how they have not connected us but distanced us.

Still! this is a fantastic poem and I really enjoyed the way it all rhymes and comes together.

Christmas Wish
    By Milly Hayward

As a total dog lover I was always going to like this.

I realise it's a desire for a dog, for both practical reasons and for company. This is still a beautiful poem despite the obvious longing.

I asked someone impartial to vote on my behalf and I'm so chuffed they chose this as their number one as it would have been my choice.

I also hope one day your wish is granted.

Good Old Santa
    By Michael

I loved reading this little festive gem by Michael (yes dude! I realise I pressured you into taking part) and it actually had me smiling.
    Fantastically well rhymed and totally full of Christmas cheer.

This was right up their with Milly's poem and it was only the last two voters that decided the outcome.

You do realise I'm gonna have to try mince pies laced with rum now though, as I've hated all the others I've tried. :-)

Sneaky Santa
    By chatterbox909sphinx

I really liked the concept of this poem by Dani, imagining santa as some kinda of malicious burglar breaking into your home is a nifty take on the actions of old St Nic.

Great imagination, so well done. Although I ain't sure if I'll be sleeping on Christmas eve from now on.

Once again thank you for entering and I hope you all have a merry Christmas. Now get them posted for all to see.

Craig floating Christmas hugs to all.

• CJ Maleney
    5 years ago

OK I realise I'm early or perhaps late depending upon your location.

I've to be up really really early on Christmas eve(00:01) so I decided to post early as I'll be working.

Well done to you all. Respect, hugs, and an imaginary teddy bear winging across the void to you all

• Poet on the Piano replied to CJ Maleney
    5 years ago

Wonderful contest, Craig! I apologize for missing the deadline but it was fun to see the results :)

• CJ Maleney replied to Poet on the Piano

I really enjoyed doing this and there is always next year. X

• Milly Hayward
    5 years ago

Craig this was a great competition thank you for hosting it. Thank you for everyone who participated and voted. The poems were all very different but all excellent in their own way. It really made my day and was such lovely surprise to see A christmas wish with so many votes. Thank you so much to everyone who voted for it. All my best wishes Milly x

• Michael

Hey Craig,
    Hope you had a good Christmas :) Well done for this Chrimbo competition, and your time fella.
    Well done to all those entered, some great pieces and well done to Milly with the winner :)
    Happy New year to all
    Much love, M :)x

*Mince pies with rum-yum!* haha ;)

• CJ Maleney replied to Michael
    5 years ago

Thanks Michael

I had a fantastic one although I ended arse over tit while drunken kitchen dancing lol.

Have an amazing new year dude

Craig